Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 03:46 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,821,279 times

Advertisements

Changing jobs, or more specifically in my post careers, is not an easy choice. It takes a lot of consideration/adoption to switch companies.

However, what happens if you make a change, and quickly (within couple weeks) realize it might have been a mistake? Keyword - "might have been", it's been only a couple weeks.

Looking for another job so quickly doesn't look that great on your resume. I'm curious what others have done in a similar situation and what ended up being the outcome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 04:30 PM

7,529 posts, read 13,665,213 times
I went thru something similar when I was RIF'd out of a 24 year career at age 54. After about 4 months of trying to stay in the career, I realized I could not compete with the 20-somethings anymore. Over the next 25 months I went thru 3 jobs in unrelated areas that looked good at the start, but quickly realized were not good. The 4th job luckily turn into a perfect situation for me. 2 miles from home, OK pay, decent benefits, 8-5 hours, no customer contact. Stayed there 10 years until retirement at 66.

As far as a resume, etc while hunting, I just did not mention the short term jobs. The 4th job did not care about a 2 year gap as they understood jobs don't fall off trees after age 50.

Of course it didn't hurt either that my predecessor in the job was an 18 y/o relative of the owner who didn't show up half the time !

BTW I heard about the job in a local town newspaper ad.

Good Luck & Hang in there...........

Old 02-12-2018, 04:58 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,669,333 times
It happens. I relocated from Dallas to Charlotte for a position that sounded promising. Unfortunately, realized that the job was not at all as described. Quit after 6 mos, paid back the relo and went back to Texas. Left this job off of resume after reasoning the short term stint was not worth the scrutiny of trying to explain what happened. Once back in TX, jumped back into the job market without missing a beat. Had another job within 2 weeks. Life goes on.

So, it was more of an inconvenience than anything, but nothing negative came out of it in my case.

Good luck. Do what you have to do, but don't sweat it.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:07 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,778,607 times
It happens to most everyone. About seven years ago I switched careers and it was one of the worst decisions I had made. I knew the first day on the job and immediately started looking.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:53 PM

17,647 posts, read 15,346,122 times
I think it depends how quick you're getting that feeling.. I think everyone who changes jobs has a second thought or two once they get to the new place and before they get into the swing of things.

Don't pull the trigger too quickly.

A couple weeks isn't always enough time. Couple months I'd give it.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:17 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,805,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Changing jobs, or more specifically in my post careers, is not an easy choice. It takes a lot of consideration/adoption to switch companies.

However, what happens if you make a change, and quickly (within couple weeks) realize it might have been a mistake? Keyword - "might have been", it's been only a couple weeks.

Looking for another job so quickly doesn't look that great on your resume. I'm curious what others have done in a similar situation and what ended up being the outcome?
Started a job once and hated it by the third day, but stuck it out three months while seeking a replacement job. Give it time, it may change in 3-4 months.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:06 AM

9,446 posts, read 8,422,481 times
On two separate occasions I started a new job and at the end of the day realized it wasn't a good fit for me. Once I was lucky enough that I already had an offer from another company that I took and on another occasion I sucked it up for about 3 weeks until I was able to find another job. In both cases I gave little notice and just was up front with them letting them know it was not a good fit and did not want to waste anyone's time knowing that I wouldn't be there long term and left within a few days. As someone else said, it happens. Both times the "new" job was a big step up for me so I've been fortunate in that regard.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:15 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,135,651 times
Just start somewhere else.

My first job was a part-time food line worker in a fast food chain. It was the only place that would hire me with no experience. I could not keep up and the pay was less than $100/week.

I never stopped applying for jobs, after starting. I landed a temp job for $300+ a week and 40 hours. My manager understood that part time work was not enough to pay the bills. He was kind of enough to schedule me for only Saturday and Sunday.

The client converted me from temp to perm. I gave my manager, two weeks notice. He was good to me, so I wanted to give him time to find a replacement.

I never list that job on my resume. It's worked out fine.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:13 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,476,882 times
Tuh.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:04 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,418,920 times
My immediate previous job was terrible. On paper, the company looked tremendous. Good benefits - good pay - had won all these best place to work awards in its industry and local area.

I realized I made a mistake within a week and started looking nearly immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment