Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 01:30 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,074,213 times

Advertisements

Basically I got a new job and I hate it and want to quit but I was told by friends that it looks bad to quit after a few weeks, cause it's like they trained me for nothing. I just started but I was told that I should quit right away, rather than wait a few weeks, cause it would look better.

But what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 01:50 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,506,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Basically I got a new job and I hate it and want to quit but I was told by friends that it looks bad to quit after a few weeks, cause it's like they trained me for nothing. I just started but I was told that I should quit right away, rather than wait a few weeks, cause it would look better.

But what do you think?
Do you have another job to go to?

Old 02-02-2018, 01:54 PM

No, it's just I really don't like this one, and can't stand to work there.

Last edited by ironpony; 02-02-2018 at 02:14 PM..

Old 02-02-2018, 02:40 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,506,066 times
From reading another of your posts that showed up with this one, it looks like you might benefit from some career counseling. I don't know where you are or what your background is, so I can only make suggestions.

Around here, we have career centers that were set up for high school students, but who also have adult education programs. If those are available in your area, you might try contacting one of them to see if they have advisors that might help you find your "niche". That would probably be the least expensive route to go. Another option would be to check into local community colleges or technical institutes.

You might have to put up with a "job" you don't like while preparing for a "career" you are happy with. Do not, however waste your time (and the instructors offering training) to try to prepare for something you will hate.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:26 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times
OP, if you're going to quit anyway, then yes, it's better to quit sooner rather than later. Just leave this job (the one you're quitting) off your resume when you search for future jobs. No reason to even mention it.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:32 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,541 times
If you hate it that much, quit. Sooner the better, so you can focus your effort on something you can tolerate.

However what does look bad is any of the following;
Any arrest that causes you to be remanded, or have to post bail (DATs aren't that bad)
A long period of time with no job (so if you quit, find another one quick)
Frequent leaving of jobs (actually the worst of the 3, since it makes you loom spoiled and indecisive)

The other people's advice on here is good. If you quit, just leave it off your resume entirely. As long as it isn't a habit nobody is gonna notice a few weeks left blank.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:49 PM

Yeah if I quit after a few weeks or less I wasn't planning on putting it on my resume. Basically the job is working out in the cold, and after doing that for years, it's really hard to work in the cold, as I feel I don't have the psychological tolerance for it much anymore, after years of doing it in previous jobs.

Does a long period of time without a job look that bad though? Cause before this one, I haven't had one for a year, cause I quit the last one a year ago, to go to film school for a year.

As for finding my niche, not exactly sure what that would be. I could try to take something like that. I thought film school would be a good niche but hard to find work there.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:10 AM

745 posts, read 480,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
No, it's just I really don't like this one, and can't stand to work there.
I don't know how old you are and how many prior jobs you have had, but maybe you need to just try to ride it out longer and determine if it is really that bad, or are you just fearful of many things you don't know about the position yet?

You need to ask yourself why you hate the job and be honest with yourself, and make sure your concerns are not irrational.

Additionally, what makes you think the next job you find, assuming you do find one will be any better?

But, to answer your question, yes it looks bad, unless there are gross safety problems or some type of crime is being committed there by others.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:28 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,117,336 times
Usually when you start a new job your employer puts you on a probation period to see if you fit in with the job at hand, and if the job suits you. If not on either count, you can normally just leave under mutual agreement (that's how it works with most companies in the UK at least).

If you should decide to leave early, it may look bad when you apply for your next job and they ask how long you served and why you left.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:49 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,569,297 times
I've had jobs like that when I was younger. Sometimes it's just a really bad fit. I would leave ASAP. But it would be a bit foolish to leave without another job lined up. I'd line something up and then tell the manager it's nothing personal, just not working out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment