Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:54 PM

169 posts, read 344,246 times

Advertisements

Hello
My husband and I are planning on a possible move to New Orleans and have a 1 year old son
long story short My husband is finishing up his parole sentence and of course will be needing a job
what states hare the hardest on felons and which are more lenient
and anybody know of any programs that would help him
thankyou all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 07:07 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ur-record.html

How old is your husband?

Old 04-03-2011, 07:10 PM

169 posts, read 344,246 times
he will be 27 when he gets out and is finishing up parole for an arrest when he was 18 that is drug related

Old 04-09-2012, 08:26 PM

878 posts, read 1,652,939 times
Whatever he does make sure he discloses it... we had a guy start recently and was fired 2 days later due to a prior assault conviction when he said "no" to the "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" question.

I'm in Washington but I'm sure this applies to every state.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:39 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
And if he had answered Yes to the question, would it have made any difference? That's the big question and the dilemma!

By answering No, and it was disovered much later, after this person had prooved himself, the employer might have had 2nd thoughts about firing a good worker!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:16 AM

878 posts, read 1,652,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And if he had answered Yes to the question, would it have made any difference? That's the big question and the dilemma!

By answering No, and it was disovered much later, after this person had prooved himself, the employer might have had 2nd thoughts about firing a good worker!
It was discovered when the background check came back... With my employer it wouldn't have made a difference. They don't care how good of a worker you are.... violate policy and lose your job.

Still, being up front about it wouldn't have wasted everyone's time and you have a better chance of not being the shown the door... Some employers may have been OK with it if it was disclosed up front.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,825 times
It’s going to come down to the point where all convictions except sexual and murder are going to come off your record like drivers license points. Too many people have convictions and no one can work and all are on welfare or dealing drugs cause they have no choice. I don’t want no one to know that I am a felon cause if even a pencil is missing somebody going to say it was probably him since he has a criminal record. No way ever would I disclose that I was a felon. It just is not happening. Besides if I work get new furniture and a new car and something happens where I go back to square one I will be consistently be passed over for a new job because somebody else applied for the job with no criminal record. It has happened to me 4 times in my life cause of felony convictions at an early age and now this is 5 times. Go to other countries and yes they do treat criminal convictions as drivers license points and are automatically deleted after time passes especially in smaller countries in europe. America still antiquated executing people and 10 years for bankruptcy and longer with judgement and also no health insurance for everyone. Not a good country from this point of view at this time.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:13 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,535,950 times
Was he in prison the entire time? Asking, since if he was in for 10 years from 18 to 27, he probably doesn't have any skills beyond blue collar work

at least blue collar jobs tend to not care much about felons since they've done their time, a some states might restrict them to not have anything to do with alcohol/lottery (IE things with additional regulations)

around here kitchen/restaurant, mechanic, construction, etc would hire felons, it's hard work but they make more or less $15/hr if that's livable to you guys

and try to stick to local/small businesses and not chains, large businesses worry about liability more than the person

recent story about businesses trying to hire felons, http://www.kansascity.com/news/polit...199739669.html

Old 02-25-2018, 07:40 AM

602 posts, read 504,467 times
I think the "old South" would be the hardest due to a combination of racism (blacks are more likely to have a record than whites) and employer-favored employment laws. If the state has a "Ban the Box" law that will help.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:50 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,820 times
We hired an ex con. Phone scam. Did something stupid, mouthed off to the judge. He was the only one sent to the federal pen. Out of the whole group.

Great salesman. Was with us for 6 years.
But a sales position with no access to money is where I'd draw the line.

Was your huband in prison for pot?

If so move to a state where pot is legal. Your husband was 'wrong time.'

Read link about bar owner in Kansas City. Its a great town, lived there 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment