Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 12:32 PM

307 posts, read 365,198 times

Advertisements

I work with IT databases

The supervisor in our team is wayyyy incompetent. He has no college education, no work-related certifications, has very poor written communication, is late many times during the workweek, smells horribly, and is a generally sloppy looking guy. I mean it's ridiculous!! In a 24/7 Ops Center the guy does not even provide shift-end reports to oncoming teams leading to complaints from other shifts.

How do I get past this guy without alienating myself and still remain on talking terms with him. I'm the one who is always coming up with project ideas to our manager to better the team. I'm never late, always proactive, and I use efficient processes and strategy to help out issues that stomp fellow team members. Also, I'm an excellent chat buddy to hang with as I can be highly sociable and talk about fun, non-work related things.

The situation of course is that the so-called supervisor has been there for over two years. The manager uses this tenure as the sole reason to make him the de-facto team lead. He's also chummy with the manager as they talk about personal stuff like their kids all the time and he's buddy buddy with some other folks who also have many years in tenure.

We're in good terms though, and I've been using that advantage to yank key tasks off him so the team does not have to hear complaints. Sometimes I'm like "heh Jeff, I suppose you better give me the configurations to these system files so I can get them done in case you're not hear". Other times I'm like "heh, I guess you could use this downtime to show me where these presentation files are so I can make them when you're not here"

Ok, so my plan is to keep culling all these supervisor tasks from him gradually and make my manager aware that I can do him so that eventually I'll be promoted ahead of the guy to management. I'm certainly the one who took the pains to get a 4 year degree and a couple of industry certifications directly related to our work. I'm

Herein lies the question. As I've been there only 6 months am I in the right trajectory here with my current "evil" plans, or are there better tactics that will see me to achieving the same goal but steer clear of any backlash?

Last edited by HighSpeed; 02-25-2018 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: added more stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 01:34 PM

2,934 posts, read 2,192,623 times
be sure to let us know how this works out for you.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:55 PM

801 posts, read 550,998 times
Is job hopping an option?

My advice is, use the situation as an opportunity to learn what you need to learn to be a manager at the next company...

Old 02-25-2018, 06:11 PM

5,125 posts, read 2,795,733 times
I think that what you are doing is good, but approach it as a self-improvement for positioning into a higher position, rather as vindictiveness and an attempt to sabotage or trip up that individual. It seems like the problems and deficiencies of this person are enough by themselves to get him in trouble eventually. Just remain sufficiently far away from him so when things start falling apart, he and others will not be able to blame you as his career saboteur. Just act carefully and document everything.

As the famous British actor Richard Burton said in the film "Where Eagles Dare (1969)" to Clint Eastwood who wanted to kill a man guilty of treason: "We must not cheat the hangman".

Old 02-26-2018, 03:37 AM

307 posts, read 365,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I think that what you are doing is good, but approach it as a self-improvement for positioning into a higher position, rather as vindictiveness and an attempt to sabotage or trip up that individual. It seems like the problems and deficiencies of this person are enough by themselves to get him in trouble eventually. Just remain sufficiently far away from him so when things start falling apart, he and others will not be able to blame you as his career saboteur. Just act carefully and document everything.

As the famous British actor Richard Burton said in the film "Where Eagles Dare (1969)" to Clint Eastwood who wanted to kill a man guilty of treason: "We must not cheat the hangman".
you're actually right on this. Our client has started sending feedback with complaints about his decisions. Team members from other shifts also endlessly complain that he does not provide any shift-change reports to pass on key production info to on-coming shifts (and those reports are easy).

staying aback might indeed be an optimal tactic.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:26 AM

7,988 posts, read 5,023,757 times
There’s no winning in this situation. The company has proven they can’t be reliable in putting anyone worth a hoot in Management positions, so it’s time to look elsewhere

You can’t fix stupid unfortunately and employers will gladly put nitwits in position of power, while they ruin everything and even worse yet KEEP them there after they have proven to be utter failures and the problems will just continue to persist and even yet snowball and get worse

The last two companies I work did the exact same thing. The last one was bought out (shocking couldn’t see that one coming). This one will probably be bought out in a few years as business is rapidly unraveling and no necessary changes are being implemented in the hierarchy to get the company back on track after they brought in a bunch of idiots with no knowledge or experience to run the company

It amazes me how long they let problems persist in key roles at companies but will gladly replace small problems (like a janitor that doesn’t keep toilet paper replenished in the restrooms). But people that run companies will have free reigns of failure after failure, bad business decisions after bad business decision yet NOTHING is ever done to correct the situation usually until it’s too late

Old 02-27-2018, 04:47 PM

251 posts, read 205,479 times
Keep your resume fresh and to the best of your ability form allegiances with his enemies. Just make sure not to take a hard stance either way or appear to favor any side. Stay neutral on the surface focused on the work and continuing to be as efficient as possible. Unfortunately there is no way to tell which way the apple will fall. I am speaking from experience.

Sometimes a company will literally lay off 100 people and let an entire department fail before admitting any wrong doing or guilt. All on the ego of one executive (it happened to me, saw it with my own two eyes). Another loser executive who we reported to of course landed like a cat on all 4s at a competitor where he likely embellished his accomplishments on wrecking our department.

Sometimes the *******s win in the short term, but you won't be around anywhere near by the time they get their just desserts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment