Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 11:04 AM

189 posts, read 172,966 times

Advertisements

Our company launched a women’s group that they strongly urge us to become a member of. I declined. I find it insulting.
The programs include. Career path and development. Mentorship. Personal branding. Learn how to impact the bottom line.
It’s a group for women to be exposed to resources and reach our full potential. I guess it was started because some women don’t like the fact that many of the management office are occupied by men.

Why is this only for women? Everyone should have options to expand themselves.
I personally never felt discriminated against. Sure there are some ******* male bosses that treat women crappy but it isn’t the norm.
If a man gets a job over a women it’s in most cases because he was more qualified. Also men do make better boss’s in my experience. Women are too emotional. I’ve seen many breakdowns at work from women but not men. I’ve never experienced a man crying at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 11:06 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,618,874 times
The women's group at my work let men join. Just like the ethnic groups let anyone join.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:08 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,595,640 times
I bet you if is a men group created in the first place, people at work would rage at how racist this is, but when the women form the group, it is ok. You know...I'm just saying, not against any particular group.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:11 AM

2,928 posts, read 2,181,265 times
so don't join

Old 03-08-2018, 11:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,566,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post
Our company launched a women’s group that they strongly urge us to become a member of. I declined. I find it insulting.
The programs include. Career path and development. Mentorship. Personal branding. Learn how to impact the bottom line.
It’s a group for women to be exposed to resources and reach our full potential. I guess it was started because some women don’t like the fact that many of the management office are occupied by men.

I personally never felt discriminated against. Sure there are some ******* male bosses that treat women crappy but it isn’t the norm.
If a man gets a job over a women it’s in most cases because he was more qualified. Also men do make better boss’s in my experience. Women are too emotional. I’ve seen many breakdowns at work from women but not men. I’ve never experienced a man crying at work.
1. Check the policy. I'm sure men are allowed to join. So no problem there.
2. If your management is predominantly male, it would appear that men are already being developed enough for the top roles.
3. Can men quantify numerically any problem with male representation in your company?
4. Do the men look around at current leadership and think that people like them may not have the opportunity to advance? An idea bolstered by real, quantified numbers?
5. If the majority of leadership is men, what issues do men have? Apparently the current system is working for them.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:19 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,660,256 times
It would be more accurate when describing a group of people, i.e. women, to say many women are too emotional or some women aren't good bosses. You are offering your opinion based on your own personal experiences which does not make it a fact. Labeling is never a positive indicator for anyone.

I actually do mentor a small group of young women in my field because there are not a lot of female engineers or patent agents at our firm, but happily, a larger number of female associates and partners.

The whole purpose of mentoring programs is so that everyone truly does have the option to further their career and acquire the skills to do so. Women have generally not been given those opportunities. It is not always about being a "boss" or a "manager" necessarily, it is having the opportunity to excel in one's field and not being overlooked simply because one is a female.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:30 AM

189 posts, read 172,966 times
Women are not overlooked.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:33 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,263,349 times
Quote:

My guess is because women often face a different set of obstacles in the workforce than men, particularly working mothers. It can be a valuable resource to women who are trying to navigate their careers, while still managing a healthy work-life balance. If you don't find such a resource useful, don't participate.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:36 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,566,788 times
Quote:
Women are not overlooked.
Please support that statement with data. Otherwise, It's useless conjecture.

OP, aren't you a low level customer service worker? Do you really understand the dynamics of high up positions? That's not meant to be offensive. There are different dynamics at different levels that you may not be aware of.

Last edited by charlygal; 03-08-2018 at 11:45 AM..

Old 03-08-2018, 11:44 AM

6,588 posts, read 8,460,742 times
Quote:
It’s a group for women to be exposed to resources and reach our full potential.
Sounds like it's a great opportunity for some company-sponsored professional development (which is what I would take away from it). If you do some professional development and add it to your resume, that might garner some responses to your job applications.

However, if you're offended, simply don't participate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment