Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 10:31 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,748 times

Advertisements

I've heard and read success stories from people who were struggling in their careers and got help from a career-coaching service. They claimed that it forever changed the trajectory of their careers.

I've been doing research on career coaches in the area, and whenever I reach out to them I get a few unhelpful response types: A) I'm overbooked with clients, B) I can't help you in particular, or C) no response at all.

Where does one find a good career coach? It seems the ones that are listed only serve high-level executives or people who have little to no job skills. There doesn't seem to be an offering for the mid-level career niche market. Can you share your experiences with a career coach that ended up working out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 10:52 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,550,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Where does one find a good career coach? It seems the ones that are listed only serve high-level executives or people who have little to no job skills. There doesn't seem to be an offering for the mid-level career niche market. Can you share your experiences with a career coach that ended up working out?
middle of the road is called a master's degree... use the program to coach yourself

Old 03-12-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
middle of the road is called a master's degree... use the program to coach yourself
What?

I'm not sure what this has to do with the OP.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:59 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,550,672 times
Quote:
What?

I'm not sure what this has to do with the OP.
some form or another, a career coach will bring up getting a master's degree if you dont have one yet mid-career if you go to them

Old 03-12-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
some form or another, a career coach will bring up getting a master's degree if you dont have one yet mid-career if you go to them
It may come up in the discussion, if a discussion ever happens. But again, I'm not sure what this has to do with finding success with a career coach.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:45 PM

251 posts, read 204,295 times
It's just like finding a good recruiter. Most of the time you will be SOL.

I know a few on LinkedIN but as with all of the good ones I can't afford him.

Also if you look too savvy they won't take you on as a client. Because you won't find value in their services.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:16 PM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times
I wouldn't want to dismiss them all, but I doubt they would be all that helpful in general.

1) Let's say I work in X industry, but want to live in Y location. Except for big industries in major cities, many career coaches might not have any idea about what the market is for this or that in any given local area. Advice that might be perfectly useful in NYC or Chicago may not apply in Florida.

2) We all have individual quirks and things we like/don't like. I'm in IT. I don't like being on the phone that much. I simply wouldn't take a job where I needed to be on the phone four hour plus a day. Something like that probably won't get mentioned.

3) I like to move around between different cities. The conventional wisdom is you need to "stay grounded." I don't WANT to be grounded.

There are all sorts of wrinkles like that where it wouldn't probably that useful for me.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:36 PM

251 posts, read 204,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I wouldn't want to dismiss them all, but I doubt they would be all that helpful in general.

1) Let's say I work in X industry, but want to live in Y location. Except for big industries in major cities, many career coaches might not have any idea about what the market is for this or that in any given local area. Advice that might be perfectly useful in NYC or Chicago may not apply in Florida.

2) We all have individual quirks and things we like/don't like. I'm in IT. I don't like being on the phone that much. I simply wouldn't take a job where I needed to be on the phone four hour plus a day. Something like that probably won't get mentioned.

3) I like to move around between different cities. The conventional wisdom is you need to "stay grounded." I don't WANT to be grounded.

There are all sorts of wrinkles like that where it wouldn't probably that useful for me.
These are all fair points that will apply to at least 50% of people in some way, shape or form.

The reality is, only 10-15% of people will engage in services with a career coach. But that's 10-15 million (prime working age) so that's enough to support a market of at least 100,000-150,000 career coaches I guess.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:52 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,106,706 times
Quote:
I've heard and read success stories from people who were struggling in their careers and got help from a career-coaching service. They claimed that it forever changed the trajectory of their careers.

I've been doing research on career coaches in the area, and whenever I reach out to them I get a few unhelpful response types: A) I'm overbooked with clients, B) I can't help you in particular, or C) no response at all.

I used a career coach and it didn't help me. Probably kinda hurt me a little bit in the long run.

I had it my mind to totally change careers and the career coach kind of dissuaded me a little bit, kind of put doubts in my head.

In retrospect, I should've gone at that career change at full charge.

The problem ... is that everybody has their own idea of what a great career should be and what you want out of a career. You can really only help people that are in the same group as you.

For instance, me giving you career advice would be useless.

But if you can key in on what EXACTLY you want, and find somebody who has achieved that, then you can find a mentor/coach.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I used a career coach and it didn't help me. Probably kinda hurt me a little bit in the long run.

I had it my mind to totally change careers and the career coach kind of dissuaded me a little bit, kind of put doubts in my head.

In retrospect, I should've gone at that career change at full charge.

The problem ... is that everybody has their own idea of what a great career should be and what you want out of a career. You can really only help people that are in the same group as you.

For instance, me giving you career advice would be useless.

But if you can key in on what EXACTLY you want, and find somebody who has achieved that, then you can find a mentor/coach.
I think this is very insightful. Would you suggest seeking out connections via LinkedIn? Otherwise, I don't really have that many direct contacts in the field that I can reach out to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment