Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 10:33 PM

14 posts, read 12,756 times

Advertisements

I had applied for a full-time position and went through all the interviews.

However, when the final discussions and offer was presented to me, they mentioned that because of departmental re-orgs and to on-board me ASAP, I would first be brought on as a contingent worker for 3 months first before I would be transitioned over into full-time.

I wasn't expecting this and am not familiar with this.

Is this common?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 04:24 AM

6,493 posts, read 9,875,364 times
yes

Old 03-12-2018, 06:53 AM

9,502 posts, read 8,497,057 times
It is a new corporate scheme to be able to terminate you quickly/easily in the event you don't pan out in those 3 months. They wouldn't have to pay unemployment insurance is my understanding. My company does it quite a bit, but keeps them as contingent employees for much longer periods of time (1 year or more).

Old 03-12-2018, 08:55 AM

251 posts, read 205,179 times
I would highly recommend you keep searching. To me this is an insult. It means they aren't confident in your background or the fit. If you accept, do not be in it for a long haul, if you are currently employed at a stable organization - Don't do it!!!

Old 03-12-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie_Bunk View Post
I would highly recommend you keep searching. To me this is an insult. It means they aren't confident in your background or the fit. If you accept, do not be in it for a long haul, if you are currently employed at a stable organization - Don't do it!!!
That's my feeling as well.

It personally makes me feel like they aren't confident in my background/fit and honestly it is a bit insulting.

But if so, why even bother giving me an offer in the first place.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:34 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,717,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalNotePad View Post
But if so, why even bother giving me an offer in the first place.
There's a lot of pretenders in industry. They'll say they can do the work and can say the right things in interviews but then can't actually perform. This is a "CYA" by the company. I wouldn't say it is necessarily a reflection on your specific capabilities. It might be, but it also could just be standard practice for that company.

I know many people brought in on a contingency basis.

The other reason could be funding. It could be that funding isn't completely in place yet but if you are contingent, there may be a pot of money that a manager can pull from to pay you in the meantime. That could be benign... or it could be a red flag. If they bring you on for 3 months and the funding isn't secured, you get shown the door.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:42 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,483,968 times
My first job out of college was like that. It was a pain, because I had to force their hand after three months to get a FT job. If I didn't have another offer in hand, they probably would have continued to drag their feet.

I wouldn't do it if you already have a full-time job. I'd continue looking.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:06 AM

6,591 posts, read 8,464,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
It is a new corporate scheme to be able to terminate you quickly/easily in the event you don't pan out in those 3 months. They wouldn't have to pay unemployment insurance is my understanding. My company does it quite a bit, but keeps them as contingent employees for much longer periods of time (1 year or more).
I don't think probationary periods are a new trend. They've been around for as long as I can remember.

OP, are the offering medical benefits during that time?

Old 03-12-2018, 10:09 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,483,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I don't think probationary periods are a new trend. They've been around for as long as I can remember.

This isn't the same things as a probationary period, if it's like the job I described. You're essentially a 1099 contractor for those first few months with no benefits. If you get termed, no unemployment.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post

I'm getting conflicting info about that as well.

HR says the contingent workforce agency offers medical benefits. Hiring Manager says there are no medical benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment