Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 08:23 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times

Advertisements

From the entire process of submitting the application to getting the job offer, what's the quickest it took you to get a job?

From what I recall, the quickest may have been a few days to a week for me.

Someone I know literally got a job yesterday for a big, reputable company in 5.5 hrs...no joke!!! He happened to spot the job ad at 9am one Monday (on Indeed), applied online/submitted cover letter & resume, saw that they were holding on-site interviews at 10am, so he went over there where he was about the 14th person in line, & he got a job offer at about 2:30pm. The pay isn't too shabby either. He'll start in about a week. Talk about fast!!! If only all hiring companies moved like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 12:39 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,480 times
The fastest was in a day, but it wasn't a "real" job, just a starbucks style job. For a salary job, I guess a week or so.

For both, it was easy come, easy go.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:41 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
He'll start in about a week. Talk about fast!!! If only all hiring companies moved like that.

When gov't ends HB1 visas and illegal immigration there will be strong demand again and you will watch all those HR rules and procedures go out the window.

When I was a kid I applied at Sears and they called me by the end of the day. It was basic entry level but..

Old 03-13-2018, 12:50 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
About 24 Hours. I sent in my resume, heard back in about 2 hours, interview was for noon the next day, they called with an offer at 2pm.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:50 PM

334 posts, read 221,450 times
The quickest from start to finish was a few days. That was the job from hell that let me go recently. I applied on a Tuesday, HR contacted me that day and asked to do a phone interview the next day. She contacted me the following day after the hone interview and asked me to come in on Friday for a 9 a.m. interview. At 3 p.m. that day, she called to offer me the job.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:01 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
From the entire process of submitting the application to getting the job offer, what's the quickest it took you to get a job?

From what I recall, the quickest may have been a few days to a week for me.

Someone I know literally got a job yesterday for a big, reputable company in 5.5 hrs...no joke!!! He happened to spot the job ad at 9am one Monday (on Indeed), applied online/submitted cover letter & resume, saw that they were holding on-site interviews at 10am, so he went over there where he was about the 14th person in line, & he got a job offer at about 2:30pm. The pay isn't too shabby either. He'll start in about a week. Talk about fast!!! If only all hiring companies moved like that.
well, in 2 instances, it was less than 24 hours.

First one, I received an email from an employer asking if I'd come to see him. I went that day and due to my gray hair, was hired right then as he knew I'd have a good work track record.

Second time was I saw the ad, sent my resume, they called me back in 2 hours and 2 more I was there going over the rules and being shown a safety video and then sent to the employer the next Monday.

But do remember, this was low wage employment. I have heard of just showing up at the right moment got people their jobs.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:15 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
I got my current job the day I saw the ad up, didn't start until about 6 days later though

Old 03-13-2018, 02:26 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
When gov't ends HB1 visas and illegal immigration there will be strong demand again and you will watch all those HR rules and procedures go out the window.
Can't wait for that, praise God. We'll see; this Administration isn't quite "Conservative" per se, witness damn tariffs which are more for the benefit of unions and other 20th Century relic institutions.

Fastest? A real job, or minimum wage? Back in the old days (1980s), on the spot, twice for somewhere above min wage at a liquor store I liked and a motorcycle parts place, ditto. Doubt that happens these days. Back then they gave work away if you looked like you had half a brain and would work hard for not much money as a high schooler.

By start of 2005, I had been 1099ing for serious coin a few years for a video game company on a name-brand title for X-Box, then left on-release. Took a couple months off to hike and run, mostly, here in the PacNW winter lowlands and enjoy my Christmas and January OOF. An excellent time to find professional work here is generally...not always...Feb-Apr when projects get off the ground. I put my resume out there on Monster, was called end of that day by a retained recruiter, interviewed with a GM the next day, her boss the VP the next day, had an offer letter Day 3, countered in-person for $2K more, and started following Monday. Four days, basically, for a $77K job then, something of a pay cut but with great benefits, call it $85K or so in today's dollars.

Worked there 3.5 years, one of the more interesting roles I've had. It happens, it was timing. Post Great Recession, they are waaaay more cautious for professional-level roles, it seems like. The above was a couple clicks down, maybe I'm incorrect, but we screen for sometimes weeks or a month on people with 10-15 years of experience and MS or MBA degrees. We're noodling-on and courting a Sr. Director for more than a month, he's elusive. Bet will take two. I had one job take about three months, personally. Last took 2-3 weeks, as I recall, which was pretty fast.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post

When I was a kid I applied at Sears and they called me by the end of the day. It was basic entry level but..
You see a bunch of H1Bs at Sears?

Again, most Americans aren't qualified for the $60k + jobs being taken by visa holders.

Undocumented immigrants aren't taking those jobs either.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:22 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,695 times
Default There's quick and there's super quick

The fastest I ever got a job was - immediately. The company I worked for closed due to "tax irregularities". So the next day I decided to cold call on companies doing similar work to attempt to find a job.

At my first stop, all I did was say my name, and that I was looking for a position. The CEO happened to be in the Lobby, overheard me talking to the receptionist, and said, "You're hired." Of course I said, "Don't you want me to fill out an application first?". He said, "No, I know who you are, and your reputation.".

I later found out that all of the companies in this particular business used the same vendor to process their work output into it's final form. The CEO knew my name and reputation because he regularly talked to this vendor's CEO, who apparently had been telling other businesses within the industry, that I was, by far, the biggest producer for any of the companies that used his services. I stayed there for 8 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment