Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 07:16 AM

1,097 posts, read 591,638 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious about this, as I often encounter people at both ends of the spectrum. For people who have non-essential jobs, and who live in cold climates, do you prefer to stay home when the snow hits or do you make every effort to get to work?

I know some people who call out if they see two snowflakes, while others will drive to work in a blizzard. I've gotten to a point where I no longer feel it necessary to risk my safety for a job. I did it too many times, and it's not worth it anymore. I'm also fortunate that I have enough paid time off that I can afford to "waste" a couple of days each winter if necessary.

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 07:21 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,129,759 times
I'm a self-employed IT consultant, and quite often I will make the decision to WfH if I think driving conditions are going to be an issue between my home and my client's place of work. In most cases I WfH regardless of the weather conditions, purely because IT offers that benefit. However, if I'm installing hardware to a client's premise I will evaluate the risk benefit if the snow is going to be bad against the needs of the customer.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:24 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,465,567 times
Lol. No, I never stayed home. Wyoming native, it snows there... if people were to stay home every time it snowed, nothing would happen. Snow does NOT mean "risk" or "unsafe" in areas where it does so with any frequency. Doesn't mean anything in areas where it's rare (like here in Georgia), just that you need to avoid the idiots on the road... but they're easier to spot and less threat on bad roads than on good as they've usually crashed into the ditch within a mile of home.

It's as odd a thought as people staying home when it rains... or when the wind blows, or when it's sunny.

FWIW, absolutely every time I've been hit, it's been a clear day with dry roads. No accidents in any other conditions, not even at night.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:28 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,483,968 times
If it's a blizzard, 90% of the time: yes. Not only is it a nuisance for me, it's increasing risk to the emergency vehicles that need to be on the road for actual emergencies. How will you feel if you're bleeding out or having a heart attack in the back of an ambulance that can't get around a spun out Toyota Tercel that probably shouldn't have been on the road in a blizzard in the first place.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:54 AM

6,788 posts, read 9,635,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
If it's a blizzard, 90% of the time: yes. Not only is it a nuisance for me, it's increasing risk to the emergency vehicles that need to be on the road for actual emergencies. How will you feel if you're bleeding out or having a heart attack in the back of an ambulance that can't get around a spun out Toyota Tercel that probably shouldn't have been on the road in a blizzard in the first place.

That's how I think about it. If I can stay home, I do. And I usually can without trouble since I can either work from home or take the day off. It's often not a problem to get around in a blizzard here, but it would be if the same number of people were on the roads as drive on a usual day.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:57 AM

729 posts, read 565,734 times
I have a very small car. I will not risk my safety driving on treacherous roads to go anywhere.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:06 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,281,427 times
Worked for 30 years at a large Fed. agy. in the Baltimore area. They would frequently close or close early in big storms. When they didn't close, you could use some of your annual leave (vacation) time and stay home. The agy., like most fed. workplaces, was very liberal.

In my 20s, I didn't mind driving in the mess, but by the time I got to 50, forget about it. Two snowflakes and I stayed home or left work early.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:09 AM

6,955 posts, read 3,994,375 times
Nope. Upstate NY native, very experienced in driving in snow, and I only live 2.5 miles from work.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:11 AM

6,955 posts, read 3,994,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
I have a very small car. I will not risk my safety driving on treacherous roads to go anywhere.
It's got nothing to do with the size of your car, but the quality/condition of your tires.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:13 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,483,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
It's got nothing to do with the size of your car, but the quality/condition of your tires.
Gross weight can have a significant impact on how your car handles in slick conditions. Hence the reason why people who own pick-ups usually pack their beds with sandbags or tires.

But also, a good pair of snow tires can make a difference if you don't mind dishing out the additional $1000 for a good set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment