Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 03:49 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,921,524 times

Advertisements

She didn't need to lie. She had me cold. I stood up to her last week and when she tried to cover her backside with some made up stuff I blew my temper and said a few unkind things. I immediately apologized in writing so there was plenty of evidence that it happened.

Today I had to meet with her and her supervisor so I could get a 'coaching' plan where my expectations were outlined. It was very professionally done, following the required format of our company. However, some of the things she cited as reasons for needing this plan were pure fiction. Not that I disagreed with her interpretation of something, but...they just never happened.

The boss seemed content with her version of things and didn't ask for mine. I am under contract to work with them for 3 more months, then I can move on. I am struggling with the concept that I should just suck this up and not tell him my side of the story. Or at least ask for documentation of the things that were made up.

The plan of action was actually kind of lame. Basically just don't do it again. Unfortunately, the work I do with her (only a portion of my responsibilities) is difficult and stressful for me. I don't think I'll lose my temper again, I rarely do that. If she is going to make stuff up, it may not matter what I do. I feel very helpless.

I would really love to know how to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 03:58 PM

29,532 posts, read 22,780,153 times
The writing is on the wall.

This incident will continue to eat away at you and stress you out, since you still have to work with this supervisor.

The fact that you said bad things back to her, and essentially had to have a form of counseling and an improvement plan, sounds ominous. Regardless of whether you were 'justified' or not, I'm not surprised they didn't want your version of events. They are always right.

That's how it works. It's always an uphill battle against management. I don't know your job history but if that happened to me I'd look for another job stat, especially knowing that I have a target on my back and knowing bosses can say anything they want to me and if I lose my temper, I'd already been counseled on the record.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:01 PM

23,459 posts, read 19,110,638 times
You are there for three months. Suck it up and learn the lesson all this provided. Regardless of what she did (and we don't know BTW as you only told your side ) you behaved childishly. The manager obviously trusts her over you. How you behave in future is going to matter. Problem co-workers/bosses/managers always teach us more than those who don't challenge us.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:12 PM

10,627 posts, read 12,182,515 times
Quote:
The boss seemed content with her version of things and didn't ask for mine.
Did you offer, start to speak -- and they cut you off?
Did you ASK if you could respond? enter response comments into your file?

Do you feel you were "contrite" enough for them?

Old 03-27-2018, 05:42 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,921,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Did you offer, start to speak -- and they cut you off?
Did you ASK if you could respond? enter response comments into your file?

Do you feel you were "contrite" enough for them?
No, I was advised (and I agreed) that I should let them run the coaching meeting as they wanted to and save my reservations for later. I didn't want to make any knee jerk reactions that would be construed as disrespectful or further evidence of my poor communication skills. They asked me if I had anything to add and I said, "Not at this time".

I didn't even mind being given a coaching plan for losing my stuff. To me, to reach that level of anxiety was proof positive that my stress level is way too high and I'm in the wrong position. I was misled about the parameters of the job. Our company actually advises against a person in my position to be given the responsibilities I've been given. I'm not even qualified to do these additional responsibilities. I just wanted to do the job as it was originally presented to me. There are a lot of things I LOVE about this job. But being stuck with a supervisor who repeatedly loses her temper, then pretends it didn't happen? Not healthy for me.

I am probably going to have to relocate.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:51 PM

126 posts, read 96,897 times
Tempers aren't a good thing to have in the workplace. At my last job, a worker and supervisor started screaming at each other. It was just hateful. The worker lost her job and nothing happened to the supervisor, of course.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:13 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,548,754 times
So you have a good three months to look for your next job? Does your contract state that they can terminate at any time?

Old 03-27-2018, 06:15 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,142,523 times
Is there a deadline on that coaching plan? In most cases, it's just a paper trail for you to be fired at a scheduled date. There is no sucking it up to improve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment