Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 11:14 PM

14 posts, read 12,487 times

Advertisements

Hi

Had a few questions about background checks.

1) When entering information about a job, they ask for a Contact Name. Can I put my supervisors name, coworkers name, or HR person's name?

2) I had a 1 year contract job that ended as the project was put on hold indefinitely. I was subsequently cut right after that.

At the time, my manager and I had a rather bad falling out and I'm not comfortable putting her as a contact.

I'm wondering if it's better to leave this job off of the background altogether completely (even though it's listed on my resume). Would this job show up in the background check? Or should I list it and just list the HR person's name?

Thanks folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 11:33 PM

29,429 posts, read 22,332,782 times
1). Yes

2). If it's on your resume, then list it on the background check.

Does a Background Check Show My Entire Employment History?

Quote:
There is no magical database that stores every job you’ve ever held. That first gig scooping ice cream in high school? No one’s going to track that down unless you still list it on your resume. In most cases employers only verify the listed information you’ve provided. In other words, there are limited ways they can find out other places you’ve worked if you
omit them from your resume and/or application (like the anonymous tips in the Wisconsin man’s case).

But, and this a BIG BUT, you may want to seriously consider disclosing your entire work history, warts and all. Why? There are two reasons:

Pre-employment Background Programs

Old 03-17-2018, 12:41 AM

13,061 posts, read 20,727,403 times
As mentioned, you list whomever will provide the best information on the job. However, don't be surprise if they hand it off to someone in HR or another person if that is company policy.

As for listing prior jobs, that really depends on how much info on that job you have put out to be plucked, the extent the employer is willing to pay to get as much info as possible on a candidate, and what data platforms the BC company subscribes to.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
As mentioned, you list whomever will provide the best information on the job. However, don't be surprise if they hand it off to someone in HR or another person if that is company policy.

As for listing prior jobs, that really depends on how much info on that job you have put out to be plucked, the extent the employer is willing to pay to get as much info as possible on a candidate, and what data platforms the BC company subscribes to.
I already have this company listed on my resume. But as mentioned, the manager/owner and I have a less than favorable relationship and if I could, I'd rather not list them on the background application.

Or would listing the HR contact be a better choice? (The HR person is a family member of the manager/CEO...how terrific)

Old 03-17-2018, 01:41 AM

13,061 posts, read 20,727,403 times
Now sure if you are saying you don't want to list the company or just the manager/owner.

If you had the employment on the resume, it needs to be on the background paperwork. Omitting it serves no use as its easy to compare the two and an omission on one is a red flag. As for the name of a contact, unless it ask specifically to list a person/position, you decide who to list. You know best who in the company may cause the lowest damage. For what it's worth, often BC companies contact the company's main line and let the former employer send the call where it needs to be.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Now sure if you are saying you don't want to list the company or just the manager/owner.

If you had the employment on the resume, it needs to be on the background paperwork. Omitting it serves no use as its easy to compare the two and an omission on one is a red flag. As for the name of a contact, unless it ask specifically to list a person/position, you decide who to list. You know best who in the company may cause the lowest damage. For what it's worth, often BC companies contact the company's main line and let the former employer send the call where it needs to be.
The contact I listed is the lowest damage. However, I don't think they work there anymore.

The problem is, since the company is such a tiny (less than 10 people) company, I feel like the call will be sent all the way up to my manager (who is also the CEO).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment