Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 10:12 PM

136 posts, read 205,502 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I am very stress out and do not know what I should do at this point. I started my new job for a few weeks now and I am already burned out. I work at least 10 hours each day, and sometimes even 12, and sometimes working on weekends to meet deadlines so my boss isn't breathing down my neck. What's even worse is that, I have a micromanager and I am called out for every small mistakes, even ones I did not make. I am sick and tired of having projects thrown at me and tasks given, with no deadlines, but expected to get them done within the day. If it's not, I am given the "talk." I do not even want to talk to my boss about this because I already know I will always be in the wrong in his perspective, and the meeting will probably end up with more micro-management.

I accepted the job knowing there was a lot of responsibility and knowing it required some after hours, but I didn't know it was every single day. The paid does not even compensate up the the number of hours I work. I should have took notice of the red flags but I was desperate to find a new job since prior job laid off a bunch of people. Now I want to find a new job but I do not want to look like a job hopper because my prior jobs were a little less than a year (leaving them was out of my control). I am not sure if I just suck at time management or the workload is ridiculous. I want to stick it out but I honestly don't know how I can handle being tired and angry everyday.

Should I stick it out a bit longer?

Last edited by c114; 04-04-2018 at 10:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 11:20 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Is there another manager in your firm you could discuss this with other than your direct supervisor? If your micromanager is that obvious maybe other managers know about it as well, and could empathize with you. They might have suggestions for how to handle all this better. Check to see if your company has a mentoring program....a mentor can be a sounding board, a counselor, help you develop ways to cope with the work, and possibly be a trusted ally.

It sounds harsh, but it also sounds very very common. You can keep jumping jobs, but IMHO you may learn a lot of valuable coping skills from this one too. Isn't it possible to discuss the workload with your department manager at all?

Old 04-04-2018, 11:23 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,032,093 times
Do you see anything happening that will change the way things are right now? Can you improve how you perform your task to overcome the load? Do they show signs of reducing your load? Are you getting an assistant to siphon away some of the task? Quit if you don't see any hope of change; stay of you think there is hope of change. Very SIMPLE decision...

Old 04-04-2018, 11:37 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,704,392 times
What job is this?

Old 04-05-2018, 12:55 AM

4,985 posts, read 2,720,903 times
Some companies need to see their employees working nights and weekends ALWAYS, especially if the workers are salaried and exempt and are not paid for the overtime work. I used to work as a software developer in IT. All my IT jobs were like that. That is the nature of the beast in that profession, where management wants to extricate as much work as possible out of their employees for as little labor cost as possible. Heavy overtime is always the name of the game.

Talk to other employees and see if they are putting in those extra hours as well and how they cope with it. If this is not a temporary thing, you will either have to become a workaholic or try to find another job. I know that in IT, changing jobs was usually jumping from one frying pan to another.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:23 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,219,628 times
if you have any other options for gainful employment ....

why stick it out in a job where you're physically and mentally burned out, tired and angry everyday?

life's too short. move on with yours.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:41 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,764,136 times
Start looking. I have had similar situations that I knew early on I made a mistake, it happens.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:01 AM

370 posts, read 505,354 times
I always realize, sitting in a bad job, the red flags right in the beginning. This sounds terrible - start looking immediately - and forget this hot mess.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:31 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,556,703 times
Sounds like you are in a bit over your head. I'd be looking elsewhere.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:16 AM

9,424 posts, read 8,398,112 times
GET. OUT. NOW. It won't get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment