Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2018, 07:20 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,151,039 times

Advertisements

I'm getting different answers from our union board who are employees in my same union. This is for a public first responder entity.

Our last two contracts have been sub par due to the bad economy which is understandable. Now we want a 3% raise so wouldn't we ask for 4 or 5 % to get 3%?

If we go to arbitration and say we want 5%(but really think 3% is fair) and the city wants 1.5% does the arbitrator legally have to choose one or can he go to the middle and say 3% is fair?

Sad I have to inquire about this but our own union seems to be acting shady and at least one is looking out for his own interest (promotion) and would be screwing over 50+ employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 10:30 PM

1,574 posts, read 3,305,964 times
It's all going to be controlled by your contract (do you have your booklet?), possibly to some degree whatever entity in your state is given jurisdiction over labor-management disputes, and by whichever arbitration entity your contract specifies (these entities, like AAA, have their own sets of rules). If your contract has Final Offer Arbitration (each side makes its last best offer, negotiates to impasse, default to arbitration), then the arbitrator has to pick one or the other -- no splitting the baby. But this is a very general answer to what is probably a complex question. Keep pushing your union steward and union leadership to get you the answers you want.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:58 AM

2,715 posts, read 3,417,760 times
Mediation before Arbitration. Need to be reasonable in your request though, believe me, nobody wants to go to Arbitration, it can be very expensive.....settle in Mediation, and I agree, start at 4, maybe 4.5%.....settle at 3%, or as close as you can. Look into First Responder Contracts in surrounding ares in your DRG that recently settled, and use as a guide

Old 04-03-2018, 06:48 AM

3,421 posts, read 7,819,163 times
Disclaimer: I was in a public safety union but not a leadership role so have limited knowledge of the arbitration process.

Does your state have binding arbitration where both sides had to abide by the decision? My state does not, meaning the city council has the ultimate decision no matter what the arbitrator says.

I can't answer your specific question but my understanding is the arbitrator can decide anything and does not have to pick from specific numbers presented from either side.

I agree with the general strategy to ask for more then settle for less.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Mediation before Arbitration. Need to be reasonable in your request though, believe me, nobody wants to go to Arbitration, it can be very expensive.....settle in Mediation, and I agree, start at 4, maybe 4.5%.....settle at 3%, or as close as you can. Look into First Responder Contracts in surrounding ares in your DRG that recently settled, and use as a guide
Right. Just got some more info.

Negotiations. Mediation. Arbitration. In that order.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Disclaimer: I was in a public safety union but not a leadership role so have limited knowledge of the arbitration process.

Does your state have binding arbitration where both sides had to abide by the decision? My state does not, meaning the city council has the ultimate decision no matter what the arbitrator says.

I can't answer your specific question but my understanding is the arbitrator can decide anything and does not have to pick from specific numbers presented from either side.

I agree with the general strategy to ask for more then settle for less.
Just found out the arbitrator in my state must choose one or the other.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Just found out the arbitrator in my state must choose one or the other.
....and I'm sure there are more differences in either sides version than just pay raises.....you may have a lot more to lose, that's why I recommend being reasonable in Mediation. Been there too many times when members pound thier fist wanting ridiculous pay raises in today's economy, some don't understand it's a negotiation between two parties.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:21 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,551,850 times
If you are paid lower than peers there is nothing wrong with arbitration. However if you are paid relatively the same you won't get much, if anything, out of it.

The last group that went to mediation in my industry secured about a 30%-35% raise.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:52 AM

Remember, Arbitration you bring to the table, your best, and final offer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment