Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 10:14 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,769,814 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a male after school teacher for the YMCA. I graduated from college three years ago and had a hard time finding good work. I worked 6 months in retail and 6 months in sales and 6 months in IT. Neither which I liked or wanted, but were my only options. Alot of unemployment and and no work during that time period. During college, I worked 6 months as a teacher aid in a preschool and I really liked it.

I've been at the YMCA for two months now, going on Summer camp soon. This is the first time we had a super long day. 8:30am to 11am, 11-12 lunch, and 12-6. Literally 12-3 was in the sun wearing a hat watching kids have recess and interacting with them. Then the kids ate and we split into activities. I was stuck with a substitute who doesn't do alot of work bc he is retired and doesn't want to do much. They had the kids in my room doing board games and most of the kids didn't want to pick up after themselves so I had to clean alot of the room and then I was outside again while my other co-workers and supervisors were inside doing inside activities. Finally we had like 3 kids outside, so I went into doorway for shade while still watching the kids which everyone and my supervisor could see.

Yet some how some parents were upset about this enough to say some something to my assistant site director. I'm thinking. These parents get free childcare and I've been in the hot sun most of the day and they have the audacity to complain I'm not closer up to watching your kid? I get paid $12.25 an hour in California which I think is all right for an entry level position while I get hours for my teaching permit. Which is another topic on when I get my boss to sign a form, literally takes a minute do, to sign that.

Anyways, my assistant site director was cool and understanding. She re-iterated I wasn't in trouble but she had to let me know. I understood but I wanted to know which parents because some parents tend to whine more than others and she said she couldn't tell me. Cool I get it.

It's just frusterating that parents would complain behind my back. I've only been there two months. Despite them being short staffed and I'm the only male I won't make any formal complaints because for the most my employer has been good to me. They pay more than the Boys and Girls Club, which I did a bit of subsitute work. Along with that I am the only one who covers peoples shifts and I don't take time off. So I feel I've made my self as valuable as I can get and for two months I've really liked the job. But today was just exhausting and I have to do Summer training on a Saturday and my one thing I never do for employers is work weekends anymore since I graduated college.

I also felt I did a nice thing when I printed out my schedule covering January 2019 for my employer. Showing days I'm in class and letting her know that I need to get hours by working or volunteering on certain days. So she knows I'm only at that place until I can move onto a higher position. Which the YMCA does have some preschool teachers and could really advance my career which I hope with hard work and covering all of their shifts they will give me opportunities to advance my career or at the very least, sign off on my hours.

Thank you for listening,

the city

Last edited by the city; 06-01-2018 at 11:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 05:15 AM

669 posts, read 583,625 times
I listened...was there a question?

Old 06-02-2018, 05:39 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,234,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
I listened...was there a question?
Yes, he's looking for encouragement.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:06 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,105,884 times
Welcome to the real world. I don't see anything unusual in your experience. My sister, wife, daughter, son in law, uncle, aunt, grandmother, several cousins are/were all teachers. the reaction/experience of 10-20% of the kids and families keep you going while you fight the 20% that are the real problems.

Many of the same problems in other careers. Putting up with problem customers and clients, bosses that steal credit, management that 'doesn't understand'. That is life.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:09 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,234,302 times
@the city

OK, you're not trying to finish your career, you're trying to start a new one. It is difficult to do so.

You like teaching? Good. Finish up your hours, get licensed and transition into teaching.

I recommend getting out of California and going to a lower cost of living area. I doubt the town you're in will have teaching jobs that will pay you enough.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:37 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,797,180 times
Well, kudos for working those jobs that you didn't like but knew you had to bring in the bucks. Wish more people would think that way.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well, kudos for working those jobs that you didn't like but knew you had to bring in the bucks. Wish more people would think that way.
It's paid off because now I am ready to afford a house in my part of California, but waiting for the right person to buy a house with.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
@the city

OK, you're not trying to finish your career, you're trying to start a new one. It is difficult to do so.

You like teaching? Good. Finish up your hours, get licensed and transition into teaching.

I recommend getting out of California and going to a lower cost of living area. I doubt the town you're in will have teaching jobs that will pay you enough.
Thank you! I met the two teachers and site director of the YMCA preschool today. Cool people. They didn't offer any advice. I just asked where they went to school and how long they were at the Y and the only response I got from them they said it's rare to see male preschool teachers. It's pretty are for male teachers in any position I think.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:46 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,240,088 times
I suppose your program could be different but in the YMCA programs I'm familiar with, parents pay for the service. Some qualify for financial assistance but most pay. So no, they aren't getting "free childcare" they are expecting to get adult supervision and educational and fun programming for their child that they are paying for. If you don't want to provide that, then find a different job.

Sorry that's not more encouraging but as a parent, I would have reported you too. Lots of people have jobs that involve being outside in hot weather. If that's the job, you need to do it.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:54 PM

35,102 posts, read 31,367,047 times
You need to find something that just fulfills you better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment