Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,720 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I was fired by a company 4 years ago. That company is using The Work Number to do employment verification. I saw some articles online that TWN provide "whether eligible for rehire" in the verification, but when I called TWN, they told me they only provide title, date of employment and last 4 digits of social. I ordered my employment data report, and saw one report from Verify Job System (acquired by Equifax two years ago) states the reason of termination but the report from The Work Number doesn't have any info other than title, date of employment and termination. Just wondering what can third party background check companies see in the TWN verification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 05:03 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
TWN would not have that information. They also have salary but only give it out if the subject initiates it and gives a PIN to the requesting party. They only have title and dates of employment.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:55 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisblue View Post
Hi,
I was fired by a company 4 years ago. That company is using The Work Number to do employment verification. I saw some articles online that TWN provide "whether eligible for rehire" in the verification, but when I called TWN, they told me they only provide title, date of employment and last 4 digits of social. I ordered my employment data report, and saw one report from Verify Job System (acquired by Equifax two years ago) states the reason of termination but the report from The Work Number doesn't have any info other than title, date of employment and termination. Just wondering what can third party background check companies see in the TWN verification.
How much information they have and what they will give out is a function of the level of service a company is paying for or providing. Although the average employer isn't willing to pay to obtain all the information, some of us have no problem spending the money to know everything about a candidate. When you ordered your Employment Data Report, did you ask for a full detailed report? As you will see from the report (providing you received the detail report) TWN has the ability to amass an astounding amount of information on your employment. If they have empty responses in fields, that just means your employer did not report that information. However, right under the employer info, check the date of submission. That tells you the date TWN obtained the response. Often former employers decide not to waste any of their time updating information on a former employee.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:18 PM

5 posts, read 9,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
How much information they have and what they will give out is a function of the level of service a company is paying for or providing. Although the average employer isn't willing to pay to obtain all the information, some of us have no problem spending the money to know everything about a candidate. When you ordered your Employment Data Report, did you ask for a full detailed report? As you will see from the report (providing you received the detail report) TWN has the ability to amass an astounding amount of information on your employment. If they have empty responses in fields, that just means your employer did not report that information. However, right under the employer info, check the date of submission. That tells you the date TWN obtained the response. Often former employers decide not to waste any of their time updating information on a former employee.

Interesting, TWN said they only provide basic info to verifiers for employment verification such as hire date, termination date and title. Did you use TWN or other services?

Old 04-16-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallwo View Post
Interesting, TWN said they only provide basic info to verifiers for employment verification such as hire date, termination date and title. Did you use TWN or other services?
What they tell you, and what they have are not the same thing. This is why every person needs to order their EDR each year. All the big name services also offer subscription services where private services can access their databases and harvest as much information they like, so long as they are paying. So, employees need to be aware everything and anything about them could be obtained. Even a basic TWN EDR will show how much information they can collect if an employer decides to disclose it to them. The fact that 75% of companies just pay for basic cheap very limited service shouldn't make one believe that all potential employers wont see everything.

I'm a bit different. I'm willing to pay for both a traditional background check/verification as well as a comprehensive data mined report. Many companies now utilize similar services, This is why so many people get all flustered when they think they aced the interview and pretty much knew the job was theirs, yet the door was suddenly slammed in their face. Something about them was discovered. In today's world of information exchange (and people exposing their life online), nothing about a person is private anymore.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
What they tell you, and what they have are not the same thing. This is why every person needs to order their EDR each year. All the big name services also offer subscription services where private services can access their databases and harvest as much information they like, so long as they are paying. So, employees need to be aware everything and anything about them could be obtained. Even a basic TWN EDR will show how much information they can collect if an employer decides to disclose it to them. The fact that 75% of companies just pay for basic cheap very limited service shouldn't make one believe that all potential employers wont see everything.

I'm a bit different. I'm willing to pay for both a traditional background check/verification as well as a comprehensive data mined report. Many companies now utilize similar services, This is why so many people get all flustered when they think they aced the interview and pretty much knew the job was theirs, yet the door was suddenly slammed in their face. Something about them was discovered. In today's world of information exchange (and people exposing their life online), nothing about a person is private anymore.
Thanks for the information. What if my EDR from the work number only include the basic info but another report from Verify Job System (acquired by Equifax) has a column include reason of leaving. I don't know this kind of information is in public database, which is pretty private info. I really don't want this termination record follow me forever just because I couldn't get along with my previous manager.

Do you mind share the service you are using which provides comprehensive data mined report?

Last edited by thisisblue; 04-17-2018 at 12:50 AM..

Old 04-17-2018, 08:01 AM

You need to understand that both those companies are part of Equifax. TWN is just one of the services employers can use (TWN is highly computerized) but the information is available across all their databases and is sold to outside companies as well. Verify Job Systems and TWN and all the other sub brand names used by Equifax all share the exact same database. Once that information is in a database, it will NEVER go away. Depending on the service, it may not be disclosed, but it ls there and will remain there for any employer willing to pay for the information. Heck, all this hoopla over Facebook is laughable since employers have had access to peoples private profiles and info for a fee. How do you think all these social media platforms make money? Even some ride share companies will provide a complete usage history for a fee. Money unlocks all sorts of things.

I use a private HR company that has a an HR investigative service. They process all background checks, workers comp investigation, policy violations, EEO complaints, etc. You can hire any private investigator who specializes in background checks to obtain as many reports as you're willing to pay for. As an FYI, only a few states prohibit data mined reports for employment purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment