Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 01:22 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
To answer all of your questions. Yes - I hire, on average, 5-10 new grads per year over the past ten years as I’ve grown my business. You’d be amazed at how many poorly written resumes there are out there. You’d also be surprised at how many simple typos creep in.

Maybe take it from someone that built the bulk of that business through your so-called recession.
Have you ever seen Bill Gates resume when he was 18? Poorly written, spelling errors etc.....

I wonder how many people said, "This guy is an idiot, can't hire him."

People's spelling ability is a real poor way to judge people. I personally know someone who was a very successful CEO. Spelling and grammar at about a 9th grade level, at best.

At my first engineering job my manager was terrible at spelling, his memos where atrocious, but he was an outstanding manager and engineer, very successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 02:30 PM

1,063 posts, read 696,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Have you ever seen Bill Gates resume when he was 18? Poorly written, spelling errors etc.....

People's spelling ability is a real poor way to judge people. I personally know someone who was a very successful CEO. Spelling and grammar at about a 9th grade level, at best.

At my first engineering job my manager was terrible at spelling, his memos where atrocious, but he was an outstanding manager and engineer, very successful.
Don't expect RoamingTX to see the big picture.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:54 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
I don't think it matters if you were in school. I would expect to see an internship or job related to your field somewhere in there (esp if its something specific and competitive) but your focus should be on school when you're in school. Then again if you took ten years to graduate I would certainly wonder what was going on.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:51 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:

It is always the applicant's resume that is at fault if you have noticed. If they are not blaming the resume they blame how that applicant interviewed. They cannot fathom that some employers won't hire you if you have a gap.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:22 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times
It's weird how today more people expect perfection and do not comprehend that we are humans and deal with other human beings. It wasn't always this way. People use to respect transferrable skills or looked at people who had potential as a good thing and people realized that life happens, no one is perfect. Now, none of that matters. You either fit the EXACT list of requirements and you better present that in an absolute perfect way or you are garbage and there is no way I can hire you.

It is really bad for any professional type of job, but even low wage work is like this.

A friend of mine is a store manager for a large national chain. I listen to her all the time complain about hiring, applicants she gets etc... and she makes it sound like she is hiring for NASA when these are PT low wage retail jobs that just about anybody can do.

Another time I was eating at Chipotle and the manager was talking to one of his employees sitting next to me at the hightop table. He was talking to this guy like he was some big time manager at Google and this PT job scooping food into serving dishes was a big deal etc.. I just don't get it.

It is just nuts. Hard to believe these managers will put themselves through this and suffer from all the disappointment, anxiety etc... for something that is absolutely not needed.

When I was young it was all so low key for these type of jobs. Just a hey I need to make a few extra bucks, looking for some work etc... and no problem, come on in, I'll put you to work and nobody had any false pretenses about the kind of work being done etc....

Old 05-08-2018, 12:45 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
I highly suggest you look to find a CPA in your area to help you setup an S-corporation

Setup a consultancy in your desired field of interest and have friends be your clients. Have them research typical tasks which you would help with, network with professionals in that field and ask them to let you shadow them for a day (and sign an NDA if necessary) so you can become familiar with the tasks in that field and any challenges surrounding them.

Employers will be obnoxious and ask what you were doing for the past 3 months post-graduation or 6 months if you haven't found something by then. With each passing month they'll become more and more skeptical because they were either privileged or haven't mentored anyone and claim not to remember what it's like to be just starting out.

With the S-corp you remove the time wasting on discussing gaps and there is no way they can disprove if you do the appropriate leg work. They can either take your experience or leave it. This is the new economy and the new way recent grads will have to go about things.

So to recap again :

1) Research the field and find out the key challenges via industry blogs and networking with veterans

2) Ask to shadow them occasionally as they tackle major projects to get insight into the day-to-day, try and find a mentor

3) Ask parents for $$$ to setup S-corp with a CPA, get your articles of incorporation and begin reporting expenses associated with networking and your daily job hunting activities ("business development for clients") as a loss on your P&L (K-1), please note there are some minor expenses you'll have to pay such as NYS unemployment for yourself despite you being an executive of the S-corp which can total to about $200 a year. You will need to compensate your CPA to keep on track with these various forms required by IRS/State Taxation and that should run you total no more than $400-500 annually in fees from the accountant but will save you $10k in taxable income on average just starting out in my experience. Reducing your tax liability if you are low income earner ( Less than $25k) to practically nothing. When you look for a CPA look for one that specializes in Sole proprietors and setting up S-corps as a pass through entity to reduce tax liability. If they look at you like you have two heads when you mention that then walk away.

4) Better yet if your friends setup their own S-corps they can provide you with recommendations and you can offset each others tax burden by creating transactions and 1099 forms. If you borrow money from friends to network and find clients great, put interest owed as a loss because now you are borrowing against each others corporations and not as individuals.
And if you follow this advice, make sure to set aside some extra money for a second CPA and probably an attorney to clean up the mess you’ll have.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:27 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,025 times
Quote:

My point was that it shows someone that will not seek help or assistance with something they aren’t proficient in.

Gaps in employment never really phase me when hiring. Particularly early on. Attitude, energy and engagement are more important. I’ll invest 2-5 years in people before they’re truly profitable for me. I need the person that will be engaged in their own development, seek help when needed, realize the grind and not think there’s some magic bullet out there that will solve everything.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:28 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Don't expect RoamingTX to see the big picture.
Right. Because a fake company that brings in zero income is a great employment strategy.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:40 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
And if you follow this advice, make sure to set aside some extra money for a second CPA and probably an attorney to clean up the mess you’ll have.
Absolutely best advice on this thread!

Setting up an S-Corp to commit tax fraud is the worst job search strategy I have ever seen.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:50 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul91 View Post
I'm graduating later this month from college. I've applied to different jobs in various states, and I've had no luck even though I have some experience in the field I want to get into. I have three jobs on my resume, and there are gaps between all three of them. The first job was when I was in high school and I worked there for four years, and I left because I just wasn't happy there. The second job was temporary, and the third job was a small company that relocated, so my employment there was until March of 2017.

I did work this past summer, but it was as a cleaner, so I decided not to add that to my resume, and I decided to just concentrate on school for my last year, so I haven't worked since.

Not a big deal at all it just appears to be a issue on this board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment