Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 06:11 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times

Advertisements

Only 27% of temp-to-hire and 18% of contract jobs overall lead to direct employment according to the WE Upjohn Institute for Employment Research. Temp agencies are not the way to find decent jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 06:51 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,210,464 times
Not sure why you would look at a temp agency for a perm job. They don't exactly have any incentive to help you.

But I know many people who prefer temping for the higher wages and relative freedom and it does pay the bills.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:45 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,406,752 times
I've temped for a few different agencies. Never had a problem with them.

I didn't notice them using anyone who looked like an H1B worker, either.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:06 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,392,424 times
I never talk to recruiters. They want information, such as where you've applied recently. When you tell them this, you are giving them information on available jobs, and they can use that information to send other people to those jobs to compete against you for that same job you applied to. Don't ever tell recruiters the companies where you have applied at.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:29 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,359 times
I've seen loads of threads on the Indeed.com forums that also seem to go along with what the OP is saying. (It's such a pity that the OP appears to have been banned (That's usually what the "Not a member" designation means.))

Old 05-07-2018, 10:14 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,387,866 times
The outcome depends on employees. We hire through HR agency, and some people who have good work ethics get hired. Others, like a woman who was sitting there, listening to psalms, and let herself question my orders being under my supervision, don't.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:01 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times
You have to find, and stick with an agency that understands you and recognizes your strengths, weaknesses and goals. The factory where I'd spent 18 years downsized when I was in my late forties -- the rest of my career was a hodgepodge -- temping, a start up, some seasonal work (often outdoors), three years at Amazon (and starting at age 61!) and keeping books at a hotel in exchange for living quarters; but I also had a reliable agency I could usually count on -- and they knew I was a reliable person who held up his end of the bargain.

It was not that bad a deal -- and I was never "broken" by the insult to intelligence that is white-collar "corporate" regimentation.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:02 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molten Lava View Post

In my experience they would post lots of ads online saying something like "Our client, a business in (vague field), is looking for an Administrative Assistant"and they would post something like a medium to high salary range for the local area. I would submit my resume, hear from them that "My resume and experience looks great" and they would then usually say something along the lines of "We're interested in having you come in so I can talk to you more about your experience, and what you're looking for in a position"!

This should be the major red flag right here for anyone dealing with these liars. They know good and well that you applied to a specific position, so why would you want to go in and talk to them about what you're "looking for"? You APPLIED TO THEIR POSITION!! that is the position that you're looking for!

DON"T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH TEMP AGENCIES!! The more people who boycott them, hopefully the sooner they will all just go out of business. THEY ARE ALL A SCAM!!
I wish I had not wasted so much of my time and money and energy going to interview at these scam temp agencies!!!

The underlined is why I quit dealing with them years ago.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:05 AM

35,091 posts, read 31,339,345 times
The vast majority of temp employment never goes permanent. It is most often a way for companies to have butts in seats full time without providing any benefits or semblance of stability.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:13 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post

But I know many people who prefer temping for the higher wages and relative freedom and it does pay the bills.
I don't know what field your are in but noone in my field earns higher wages at a temp agency in addition to not having benefits. In most cases the pay rates offered by the temp agencies are insulting less 2/3 to 1/2 of what direct employees get in addition to no or substandard benefits. I've never met anyone in my profession who preferred temping but quite a few who got so sick of it they left the profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment