Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 02:58 PM

12,783 posts, read 15,001,003 times

Advertisements

If so, can you please give me some great online resources to look up general info, blogs, specific SLP discussion boards, etc.

Also, any info on how to pass the PRAXIS exam? I have an old study book, but need much newer study aids &/or books these days. How easy is the exam to pass?

Do you specifically work in the SCHOOL setting? That's what I prefer. I'm very rusty on how to administer all the assessments, scoring them, etc. Do you know any books, websites, etc. that help w/ that?

I'll be (hopefully) starting my CFY soon, so any info w/ that would be great too.

Thanks a lot & any other info you have will be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 03:53 PM

674 posts, read 609,302 times
https://www.reddit.com/r/slp/

Old 05-13-2018, 02:38 AM

^ Thanks a lot! Anyone have anything else?

Old 05-13-2018, 04:30 AM

410 posts, read 344,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
If so, can you please give me some great online resources to look up general info, blogs, specific SLP discussion boards, etc.

Also, any info on how to pass the PRAXIS exam? I have an old study book, but need much newer study aids &/or books these days. How easy is the exam to pass?

Do you specifically work in the SCHOOL setting? That's what I prefer. I'm very rusty on how to administer all the assessments, scoring them, etc. Do you know any books, websites, etc. that help w/ that?

I'll be (hopefully) starting my CFY soon, so any info w/ that would be great too.

Thanks a lot & any other info you have will be greatly appreciated!!!

Good morning,

You probably have some of these links already, but here is my list:

www.asha.org
https://speechpathology.livejournal.com
www.speechpathology.com
https://forum.thegradcafe.com

This year, students are telling me that the Praxis is heavily weighted on anatomy and physiology, craniofacial anomalies, dysphagia, and feeding disorders. I can't speak about whether the exam is easy or not.

ETS has some great practice tests - I believe that you must purchase them, but students tell me that they are worth the money. Amazon also has a good selection of books. Have you asked any of your old classmates if they have books that they would be willing to loan or sell to you?

Are you completing your CFY in a school system? I would stay away from contract rehab - that end of the business has become more fraudulent than ever. Make sure you have a good supervisor who is available if you need him/her, but is not overly intrusive.

Feel free to email me privately if you wish. Best of luck to you and congrats on finishing your master's and starting your CF!!

Old 05-13-2018, 04:33 AM

OP - I overlooked this part of your post. How long have you been out of school? It sounds like you may need more support as a CF than what I posted originally. The best way to learn how to give and score standardized assessments is to just do it - repeatedly. Can you reach out to your university to see if they would be willing to help?

Old 05-13-2018, 08:44 AM

JoesJava, thanks a lot for your posts! My career path has been a little different from the norm. I graduated in December 2015. The 3 yrs I worked was back when I was in grad school doing the clinical experience requirements they want us to do (various age levels of clients), but it was paid work when I did it.

What have I been doing since I graduated, you may ask? Well, my father passed away ON THE EXACT SAME DAY I was notified that I passed my final grad school exam to graduate, so I wasn't exactly in the mood to jump right in & find work/do my CFY & take the PRAXIS exam. Plus, I was burned out from school...this is my 2nd Master's degree I've earned, so I've been in school for quite a while (1st MA degree's in Special Ed)!

I found a couple of SLP jobs here & there, but they didn't end up working out. Either the drive turned out to be a much more grueling commute than it originally appeared OR the caseload quickly became way too much & overwhelming (60-70+ students).

So, I've been moderately/casually trying to find work, but honestly was in no rush. I really want part-time work that's 2-4 days a week & of course the commute has to be good (30 min or less), & they'll have to have a supervisor for me for the CFY. Well, those 3 requirements seemed to be extremely hard to find. Those employment companies have been calling me throughout the time to help me find jobs, but they'll call/email at first, I tell them my requirements & they try to help & we may contact each other a few times, but then I don't hear back from them anymore. Also, ALL those companies seem to pass my file through various employees' hands because every few or so mos, I'll get calls from different people from those same employment companies. I don't like that part about it.

I've been working non-SLP work (but some is education-related) for the past 3 yrs. So, here's where I stand now. I know I'll need to get an extension on the RPE license # that I was issued from the last job that didn't work out & I know I should take that PRAXIS exam ASAP. Honestly, I haven't studied, read any SLP textbooks, gone through old school notes, etc. since I graduated because I desperately needed a rest!

Any advice, suggestions, etc. for someone in my situation?

Old 05-13-2018, 10:51 AM

Forever Blue - First off, I'm sorry to hear about your father. Even though it has been three years, we never forget them!

You probably already know this, but your CFY has to be completed within three years of your graduation. Here is what I would do:

1) Call ASHA and tell them your circumstances. Get them to give you a deadline for completing the CF and find out if they will give you an extension.

2) Get on Grad Cafe - see the link in my first post. Then, pose a question re: the current content of the Praxis. See if someone on that forum can tell you what to expect. Just as an FYI - students who took it this spring were telling me that modified barium swallow interpretation was also included.

I would also ask the members of Grad Cafe for study tips - specifically, how did they prepare, how much time do they think that they spent prepping, etc. I would also ask them if they used any specific resources to help prepare and if so, where did they get them. There is a book called Advanced Review in SLP (look on Amazon) - this is a comprehensive guide to all things related to SLP. That might be helpful.

3) I would register to take the Praxis. if you have a year to get your CF finished, then plan on taking Praxis in six months. Then, set up a weekly schedule where you physically block out time to study. Do not deviate from this schedule. See if anyone at the uni where you graduated would be willing to answer questions or give you advice.

4) In terms of getting your CF completed, you are probably aware that if you work part-time, it will take you significantly longer to complete it. Would you be willing to do your CF outside of CA? If so, contact Comp Rehab - they are a traveling-based Tx company and they are very good (in other words, they aren't going to put you in Section 8 housing). See if they have a year-long contract available in a school system - this would be for about 9-10 months which would enable you to get your CF finished fairly quickly.

One of the advantages of going through Comp Rehab is that you are not going to have to perform outside duties - like bus and cafeteria duty. You are also going to make more money and possibly get bonuses.

I hope this helps!

Old 05-13-2018, 09:55 PM

JoesJava, thank you so very much! Perhaps from time to time, I can post back here or PM you & ask more questions & you (or someone) can answer them! Maybe subscribe to this thread, so you're notified via email when new posts have been added.

So, re: what you last said, out-of-state is out of the question for me. I don't plan nor want to move anywhere. I'm in the state of CALIFORNIA. My life is here, living w/ my fiance' & I'm happy. My mother lives about 12 min away from me too.

Re: the Advanced Review in SLP book, I have the gold & purple 3rd edition, but I had seen there's been a green & blue 4th ed. since then, so I'd definitely buy the newest version.

My grad school program was a distance learning program, but taught by a B&M (brick & mortar) state university, so I was always very isolated and didn't procrastinate & did things all on my own the entire step of the entire 3-yr grad program all by myself. I'm not complaining. I LOVED that I never had to step foot on campus & if I wanted to do the usual commuting, I would have done an SLP program that did that. So I never ever got together w/ any colleagues to study, haven't even talked to any classmates on the phone, etc. All us student were all spread out in various states, etc.

I contacted (emailed) the speech board in Sacramento & they sent me links on applications to apply for an extension, etc. if I have to.

I know I've worked incredibly hard for this (& my other Masters) degree & all, but I honestly don't care if I become a SLP-A. Yes, I also earned my SLP-A license too back when I was trying to get accepted to grad school & I've kept renewing it, so I always had something else to fall back on. I really don't care about doing assessments, typing up all the speech reports, IEP, & other paperwork, speaking at IEP meetings w/ the principal, parents, general ed teachers, school psychologists, etc. Just tell me what to do w/ the kids/clients & let me leave at the end of my shift WITHOUT having all this paperwork & other stuff to bring home & I'm good! But, I won't give up altogether just yet. I'll see if I ever find as close to what I'm looking for SLP job out there.

I'll return back to this thread for any replies.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:08 AM

GM ForeverBlue - It sounds like you have a good plan in place! Working as an SLP-A is not all bad - I knew that they were heavily used in CA and in TX, but not so much in other states. Sometimes, I will have students who decide that graduate school is not right for them and who want to pursue SLP-A certification, but on the east coast, they are rather limited as to where they can work and like you, they do not want to move. So, I can understand that CA is home, and home is just where home is!

I can also understand not wanting to deal with the headaches that can come with writing IEPs and progress reports, dealing with school staff and parents, etc. As you know, it is hard enough managing 60+ kids on a caseload. When you add the insane amount of paperwork, well, then, you have likely worked much more than 40 hours in one week.

Good luck to you and keep in touch! I am happy to help if I can.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:52 AM

OK, thanks a lot for all your help. What's GM stand for?

The only thing about being an SLPA is that they're pretty much expected to speak Spanish since the SLP often doesn't speak it. I certainly don't know enough Spanish to use it in the professional setting. Sigh!

I don't know...it's tough! Yes, I may post back here again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment