Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Employment: find a job, manager, budget, conflict of interest, lawyer.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:30 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,992,777 times

Advertisements

There's a very unusual situation and I'd like to hear others weigh in with their opinion. I'll write in hypothetical terms :-)

An employee at a very large company has been told that at no fault of their own they do not have a position for them post-reorganization due to major budget cutbacks and because all new hires will be low-cost employees from offshore/non-US countries going forward. They were told this a few months ago by a manager who was terrifically frank and upfront. The reorganization has just about been completed and the employee is actually waiting to be "given a package" which the company traditionally has done in the past (basically your fired with significant notice and with severance pay based upon company tenure) as they have something else lined up for income. The company policy is that employees are not allowed to request a package - such a request is grounds for immediate termination.

For the interim the employee has been told to work on transformational activities and to also try to find another job (within or outside the company). A new manager was recently assigned and told the employee that they require a form to be filled out and sent every week which details what calls or contact has been made to who, regarding what type of position, the status of the opportunity pursuit, and whether or not an interview has happened or is scheduled. The employee told the new manager it was essentially none of their business since they aren't actually helping the employee find a new position in any way shape or form.

Those comments weren't very well-received because of a conflict of interest. The conflict is that the new manager of the entire team is motivated to get all the employees who do not have a future position in the company to find another job so that fewer packages have to be given, and thus less money is spent by the company to remove the employees. The new manager actually has this as one of their business objectives. After several weeks, the new manager has recently followed-up and is again asking for the form to be filled out and submitted (a little bit more tersely than before). It appears that several of the team members are not submitting the job search form to the new manager despite initial one-on-one conversations with everyone.

How would you handle this situation? From the perspective of the employee waiting for a package because they have other income lined up, what would you do? From the perspective of the manager, what would provide incentive to give a package to someone, and not their teammate in this situation? The employee to their own chagrin has been highly rated each year of service (many years now have passed), and thus isn't a poor-performer, but still wants to be given the same type of "package exit" worth significant money that their poorer-performing teammates have received over the years. The money would be helpful and a flat out resignation would be equivalent to passing up 5-6 months of salary.

Any additional thoughts regarding advice to the employee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 09:33 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,713,382 times
I would not divulge the interview/job seeking information. In fact, I think I'd maybe see a lawyer about the situation and ask the lawyer specifically if he must fill out the form...I have mixed feelings because:
if they have been given several months notice to look for another job-why has the employee not left yet? Is his goal just to get the 5 months severance and cost the company lots of money? Or is he really having that much trouble finding new employment, then he should get the 5 months severance?

Old 03-31-2008, 12:49 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,427,144 times
The interview and job seeking information is not the present company's business. At first thought, this seems another way of the present company seeing how far they can push and what they can get away with. I hope the employee gets to leave soon -- this must be a miserable work situation.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:01 PM

16 posts, read 55,731 times
The company certainly has an obligation to fill any positioins with the 'most qualified' candidate. They are also obligated to abide by their severance policy. Review what they have posted for the policy and procedures for severance and or posting/ biding on new jobs.

On the other hand an employee should not have to bid on other jobs, if they do not feel it 'aligns' with their background or future career aspirations. In addition in the pay scale is different, is the company going to grandfather the old salary in the new position?

Old 03-31-2008, 05:48 PM

513 posts, read 898,203 times
I think the employee is smart to wait around for a severance, the company owes them for the hard work and dedication they've given to them. They have no right to tell anyone to actively seek alternative employment. If they are downsizing that is their issue, they need to mind their own business as to what happens outside of the workplace. What he does with his life away from the company is none of their business. I hope the employee holds out for the $$$, these big companies think they can bully people and use them up and just throw them away like they are last weeks garbage. Take a stand and get what you deserve, we little people are what makes the companies what they are.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:24 PM

555 posts, read 2,214,173 times
What? Are they the unemployment service? I wouldn't put anything on their "form" except MYOB. Of course, you just could say, "Hey, no one is hiring for any positions I would like". I wouldn't leave until they forced me out so I would at least receive unemployment benefits. No one can tell you to go get another job. Let them give you a pink slip. How arrogant can this management be?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:29 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,562,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesnowflake View Post
I think the employee is smart to wait around for a severance, the company owes them for the hard work and dedication they've given to them. They have no right to tell anyone to actively seek alternative employment. If they are downsizing that is their issue, they need to mind their own business as to what happens outside of the workplace. What he does with his life away from the company is none of their business. I hope the employee holds out for the $$$, these big companies think they can bully people and use them up and just throw them away like they are last weeks garbage. Take a stand and get what you deserve, we little people are what makes the companies what they are.
Overall, I like this advice. One problem I see is that blindly applying for another inter-company position may mean a position with a huge pay cut and/or far less challenging duties. If turned down, the severance package may be out the window. I would rather know what positions are open and at what salary first, then go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment