Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 11:19 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Do you have a job? Cause what you've written sounds like what I hear people in their 20s still living at home with their parents say. They paint a picture of doom and gloom.

The truth is, if you don't like the work, company and co-workers no matter where you go or look, it's because you have a problem, or you don't know how to find what you are looking for, which is still your problem.

People who don't know what they want, don't plan, don't work towards it, don't ask for it, they end up with crappy jobs and then complain about everything and everyone. They come into the work force with unrealistic expectations, like they think working in an office is what they see on TV shows and movies, where the people don't actually do any work.

AMEN to this.

Nearly 40 years in the work force and not one of my jobs have been a "nightmare". Some better than others, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 11:20 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
People have always had awful jobs. Maybe they just used to be more resigned to their fate. I think people have an unrealistic expectation of finding something you "love". Well, good luck with THAT. Statistics prove otherwise.
You can find and do what you love, but the problem is, people don't know what they really want to do, and then lack the motivation to pursue it. People think simply because they decided they know what the love to do, that this is all they need to do and it will find them. Never worked that way. People pay way too much attention to news articles, TV shows and movies about how easy people become successful. They don't show the actual sweat what is involved. You look up and down the streets where you live and see businesses that have been there for 20 years or more. That isn't by accident. They had a goal in mind, worked very hard at it, and they continue to do so. Because if they don't, their doors close. Anyone who doesn't understand that has never tried to accomplish anything of substance.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:23 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
You described a subset of all people, not just management or execs. Look at how many people on this forum advocate lying on resumes, skipping out early as long as their boss doesn't know, doing as little as possible, and basically doing whatever it takes to do as little as possible, regardless of how dishonest it is.
Not at all comparable. I call some of that "working smart". As long as the work is getting done, leaving early shouldn't matter. I don't advocate lying on a resume, but knowing how to highlight your qualifications favorable to you is skill. No employer ever tells an potential employee that their managers are terrible, turnover is high (unless it's common in that industry) and the environment is miserable. Instead it's, "Everything's great! This is a wonderful place to work!" Give me a break.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:36 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Not at all comparable. I call some of that "working smart". As long as the work is getting done, leaving early shouldn't matter. I don't advocate lying on a resume, but knowing how to highlight your qualifications favorable to you is skill. No employer ever tells an potential employee that their managers are terrible, turnover is high (unless it's common in that industry) and the environment is miserable. Instead it's, "Everything's great! This is a wonderful place to work!" Give me a break.
To be clear then, lying and cheating is OK if low level employees do it, but lying and cheating isn't OK as soon as someone gets into management. The managers and execs don't say they are dishonest, they say they are "working smart" as well.

We just don't want to admit this because it means admitting personal fault, instead of pushing problems off to 'management'. People who have negative attitudes and bend or outright break the rules at lower levels end up being the kind of managers and execs being complained about.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:37 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Why is the workplace such a nightmare for so many of us?

Possibly because most have inflated beliefs in their abilities, smarts and experience.

Best worker is one who comes in everyday saying "There's more to learn here"

The worst says "This place sucks"

Old 08-16-2018, 12:00 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
Warren Buffet, is that you?
You think that's a lot? You must not live in the NE or on the West Coast.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
To be clear then, lying and cheating is OK if low level employees do it, but lying and cheating isn't OK as soon as someone gets into management.

Not what I said. I've seen salaried managers come in well after everyone else and leave early too. Low level employees are probably the least likely to "steal time" because they're normally held accountable for their actions.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You think that's a lot? You must not live in the NE or on the West Coast.

He made a funny. The original poster said he made $80k an hour when he meant yearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Best worker is one who comes in everyday saying "There's more to learn here"

Yeah. I did that for a long time before it became clear it didn't matter how good my "attitude" was. My destiny had been determined before I even arrived. C'est la vie.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:11 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
All the work force is becoming more competitive even the lowest of the low.
Those whom are too soft to stand up to this competition will fail and be replaced by those that have their head on.
You may believe you have a right to work but so does every one else , so what does that boil down to ? those that can take the heat of the kitchen still have a job .

Old 08-16-2018, 12:12 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Not what I said. I've seen salaried managers come in well after everyone else and leave early too. Low level employees are probably the least likely to "steal time" because they're normally held accountable for their actions.
Please respond to all of what I said in context, instead of selectively quoting me.

Why do you think managers and execs are not held accountable for their actions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment