Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 05:12 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times

Advertisements

If you have ever changed a career just for fun - tell me about it. I think we are at that point. We work a lot of hours; maybe thinking of selling a business but what to do????? We need to work, lots of expenses and all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 09:43 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,051,442 times
I am contemplating becoming a police officer. I work as fire-rescue Lieutenant here in South Florida. Been doing it for 8 years. I hate working 24 hour shifts. Yes, granted, we get 48 hours off after working our 24 hour shift. BUT....those 24 hours can be nice or they can be just plain miserable. If people call 911 after midnight..instead of sleeping, you are up running calls. Being up all night during a 24 hour shift is EXHAUSTING. 2-3 calls after midnight especially after a busy day..and you are toast. Your 2 days off are spent recovering. Do this year after year and it really takes it's toll on your body. There is a reason why many firemen die shortly after retirement and why we get to retire after 20-25 years of service depending in which department you work at.

The guys at the station laught when I say I want to be a cop. "Why a cop ? Nobody respects cops...you are a "target" ". Granted, it's more dangerous than being a firefighter/paramedic, but the hours are much better. I am looking at Las Vegas PD. They work (4) 10 hour shifts a week.....which means you get to sleep EVERY night at home with your wife and you get 3 days off in a row. Sweet. Granted, you may have to work the night shift the first 1-2 years. But still....at least you get to relax after 10 hours...not work 24 hours straight and be responsible to tackle EVERYTHING that comes your way in a 24 hour shift.

I will be vested with my pension at 10 years. I am considering making the switch to law enforcement because I need a change I think. I love my job, but it can be plain boring after nearly 9 years of doing this. The amount of 911 abuse is rampant. And while I know first hand that cops get 911 abuse...at least it's different. Plus, I am sick of the hot humid HURRICANE infested summers of South Florida. I always dreamed of living in the West. Vegas looks like a cool city to work for...decent action, good pay and excellent benefits. Will keep you posted !

Old 04-07-2008, 07:21 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
Ive done it a few times, but for survival, not for fun. Making more money. Ive done daycare, substitute teacher (elementary level), to getting my CDL and driving truck, then moving onto electrician. Now Im going to go to school starting next semester and take up training for EMT courses, where I think there will always be a need for medical personel.
Most of the 'careers' Ive switched to, werent short term jobs, Ive stayed with them for no less than 3 years, where the longest job I held was 8 years.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:52 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,102,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
... what to do????? We need to work, lots of expenses ...
Take a large piece of paper, and make two columns.

Head the left column:
If I could do anything in the world I'd

Head the right column:
I do really well

In the left column list every one of your daydreams and activities you love, that you can think of over a week -- such as gemologist, ice dancer, professional surfer in Hawaii, United Nations simultaneous interpreter in Peruvian Spanish, designing quilts, travel consultant, care of toddlers, making artisan cheeses .....

In the right column list every single skill you do well or pretty well, that you can think of over a week -- such as typing, adapting to new computer programs, surviving without allergies, training puppies to pee outdoors instead of indoors, bookkeeping, ice dancing, care of toddlers, creating recipes, wood carving, singing, installing tires, web design, speaking warming and concisely on the phone, research .....

In the meantime, go to ****.com. Answer their questions truthfully and heartfully, and at the end of their questions you will have several places in the U.S. that will make your heart sing.

Now love yourself to pieces for finding you CAN DO, COULD DO, and WANT TO DO far more than you thought! Study the Classifieds from the newspapers for any place that's Your Spot, and feel out what's possible and what's unlikely, and narrow down to your choice which is now a very well thought out way to live. And know that the Universe is sending to you the means to make that a reality

Everything we've ever done in our whole lives, and ARE doing right now, and ever will do for the rest of our lives -- is the actualization of a dream of ours!
Our lives, moment by moment, are the dreams that we've made come true. That's the glory of human creativity, love for self, mind, and will.
We are living a dream we had and made come true!
And if we don't like it anymore, we can change it. All we need is to know who we are and trust that Life is on our side to help us
Go forth in joy, dear friend.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:25 PM

Default What a wonderful response, allforcats!

Thank you and all of you for giving me great ideas. I love to hear how others got to where they are, why you are there and if it fits. Gives me some wonderful things to think about, yes, I always think of myself last but someday (I sound like cinderobyn)....

Anyway, thanks!

Old 04-10-2008, 06:45 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Thank you and all of you for giving me great ideas. I love to hear how others got to where they are, why you are there and if it fits. Gives me some wonderful things to think about, yes, I always think of myself last but someday (I sound like cinderobyn)....

Anyway, thanks!
Funniest thing... I just came across this post. My name is in it! LOL

Does everyone know who cinderobyn is??? LOL

I am on this board, because my work is making me physically and emotionally ill..

It is not a good thing at all.

Bette, the best of luck to you! I am doing the same thing. I may stay in the same field, and I may do a half an half of what I am doing now, combined with marketing.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:34 PM

Default Change of job/career....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
Funniest thing... I just came across this post. My name is in it! LOL

Does everyone know who cinderobyn is??? LOL

I am on this board, because my work is making me physically and emotionally ill..

It is not a good thing at all.

Bette, the best of luck to you! I am doing the same thing. I may stay in the same field, and I may do a half an half of what I am doing now, combined with marketing.
And you are an inspiration!!!!! And I mean that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment