Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 12:14 AM

337 posts, read 209,676 times

Advertisements

When you start a completely new career, one that you never worked before, when do you know it's not for you? And what does probation mean to you? I am asking because I am making a large number of mistakes mostly small mistakes in my new career, and I've been working a month of full time work. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 03:59 AM

669 posts, read 587,090 times
One month on the job can be stressful. You cannot know everything about it yet. In general, are you enjoying learning the job?

STLgaltoo

Old 05-03-2018, 04:25 AM

5,909 posts, read 4,459,997 times
It can often take 2 or 3 years to find your footing in a new career. That’s why your marketability gets so high after you’ve reached that point. You’ve burned your hand on the stove again and again and are now starting to resemble someone with experience.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:43 AM

7,231 posts, read 9,397,013 times
How do you know?

Consider this: It's Sunday afternoon. Tomorrow morning you will go to work.

How does that make you feel? Looking forward to learning new things and getting results?

Or is it just dread.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:06 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,735,929 times
People make small mistakes all the time when they are starting. I am not new to my career, but in my current job I had to start with a mentor and she was absolutely BRUTAL with me when I started out. I was an absolute wreck, but I learned a lot and think I got better at the job because of it. I still don’t think this particular job is for me, but I think I am good at it. The point is, if you make a mistake, you will learn from it and get better because you will remember the mistake you made and hopefully not make it again. What’s good in your case is that you are not making big mistakes, just small ones!

I had another career I left and I agree with Vision67. I could never enjoy my weekend because I literally dreaded going to work so much. I don’t really love this job (I had another one before this one that I liked better before it went downhill), but it does not fill me with dread or stress. When you are feeling anxiety, stress, physical symptoms due to the stress, then you know the job is definitely not for you!

Old 05-03-2018, 09:49 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,675,309 times
Theres some wise people in here. Listen to them, OP.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:58 AM

9,493 posts, read 8,488,795 times
I know people will say that it takes time, give it more time, etc; however, I always go with my gut. If deep down inside I know something isn't right for me I put forth 100% effort into changing it. It may simply be that your skill sets are not being applied well to this particular role.

And for good measure I always repeat this cliche': "Life is too short for............." being stuck in a go-nowhere job, a career you hate, a job you're no good at, etc. etc. etc.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:28 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,675,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I know people will say that it takes time, give it more time, etc; however, I always go with my gut. If deep down inside I know something isn't right for me I put forth 100% effort into changing it. It may simply be that your skill sets are not being applied well to this particular role.

And for good measure I always repeat this cliche': "Life is too short for............." being stuck in a go-nowhere job, a career you hate, a job you're no good at, etc. etc. etc.
Youre right. I know this thread is about me but youre right.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
One month on the job can be stressful. You cannot know everything about it yet. In general, are you enjoying learning the job?

STLgaltoo
Kind of, what I mean is I enjoy the work, but my my co-worker trainer is very, very hostile. I try hard to focus on my assignments, but I can't do it well because of the way I am being treated. I get yelled at, things slammed on my desk, basically talked to like I am a prisioner in front of everyone, and I have never been abused like this at work in my life.

That is why I asked about probation. Is probation a time to see if the culture and people and work is for you? I know it's a way for my employer to see if I can do the work, but what about the employee side of probation?

Old 05-03-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
How do you know?

Consider this: It's Sunday afternoon. Tomorrow morning you will go to work.

How does that make you feel? Looking forward to learning new things and getting results?

Or is it just dread.
I look forward to learning and doing better, but I don't look forward to working with my supervisor, so I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment