Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 06:09 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,597 times

Advertisements

We do secret santa... much better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 06:33 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That part (bolded) sounds highly illegal. Do they also ban yarmulkes? How about crucifix or Magen David necklaces? If you're in the U.S., that is probably violating religious freedom laws - unless maybe it's for safety reasons, like if they're working with machinery or something.
A hijab or similar could easily be banned in some workplaces under the auspices of workplace safety. Do you really want women wearing hijabs and working around machinery that has a pulling capacity and is lethal if you're caught in it?

Old 12-23-2018, 07:08 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
My team would collect money from everyone and send something as well.
This is what we do at work.

The boss usually brings something in for each team member and we pool our money to buy one gift for him.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:55 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
That's where we go too, just a different location... and yes, it is crazy expensive!! Maybe next year I'll search for a coupon ahead of time, through the Entertainment Book (if they still exist) or Groupon. I'm already known for being the annoyingly picky eater in the group, so I definitely don't want to party-poop on this tradition. I'd never hear the end of that, lol.
I just researched this and see that the Entertainment books are available for 2019, but I didn't look further to see what restaurants are available in our area.

https://shop.entertainment.com/produ...ea-coupon-book

You can choose a book or an app version.

We stopped buying years ago because the newer books have more fast food/junk food and we prefer sit-down meals at nice restaurants.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
That's where we go too, just a different location... and yes, it is crazy expensive!! Maybe next year I'll search for a coupon ahead of time, through the Entertainment Book (if they still exist) or Groupon. I'm already known for being the annoyingly picky eater in the group, so I definitely don't want to party-poop on this tradition. I'd never hear the end of that, lol.
I just researched this and see that the Entertainment books are available for 2019, and you can see what is available either in the book or in the online app.

https://shop.entertainment.com/produ...ea-coupon-book

A quick look confirms that the book is not like the good old 50% off coupons for nice sit-down restaurants, but rather more geared to fast food and services, so we'll pass.

I did notice that Posh Bagel is there for Mountain View. (Oh, and now I see this is not the bagel thread, lol.)

Old 12-26-2018, 04:09 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
This year I was baking cookies for an event and made some extra to give as a gift to our team and manager (5 people total). I do not expect anything in return. We have a pretty close group and others also frequently share some food items (e.g. from their garden or travels), so this is not unusual.
This seems like a very appropriate and genuinely warm middle ground. While I understand the need for people to not feel pressured or obligated to give gifts to people at work (especially gifting "upwards"), too many formal policies are an overkill that can make the work environment needlessly stifling. While some policies on major conduct issues are definitely necessary, I'm not a fan of the "we need a policy for everything" school of thought but like adults to be treated as such and as professionals.

A strict and absurd interpretation of such a policy (but one that has probably been applied) would if someone baked cookies to bring to the office but then the boss couldn't eat one because of the baker not being allowed to give gifts to the boss.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:57 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A hijab or similar could easily be banned in some workplaces under the auspices of workplace safety. Do you really want women wearing hijabs and working around machinery that has a pulling capacity and is lethal if you're caught in it?
Dude, read what you quoted... I said the same exact thing in my last sentence.

Quote:
unless maybe it's for safety reasons, like if they're working with machinery or something.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:00 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Btw, I got to work today and found FIVE gifts on my desk! Chocolates, more chocolates, peanut brittle, tea, and a really cute pair of Hanukkah socks. Now I feel guilty for not getting anyone anything, with the exception of the bag of gelt I gave my boss. Oh well! I claim religious exemption, lol.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Btw, I got to work today and found FIVE gifts on my desk! Chocolates, more chocolates, peanut brittle, tea, and a really cute pair of Hanukkah socks. Now I feel guilty for not getting anyone anything, with the exception of the bag of gelt I gave my boss. Oh well! I claim religious exemption, lol.
You still have a few days before New Year's to get or bake something for your kind colleagues.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:29 AM

734 posts, read 843,038 times
Ok so the gifts that I had been receiving were from "higher ups" and the consensus here seems to be that a "thank you" is an appropriate response (in other words, don't give "upward").

Yesterday I received a gift from a co-worker AT THE SAME LEVEL. He's new to the office job thing and wasn't aware of the "don't gift upward" rule. He bought for everyone. So now that everyone except for a couple people bought me something (I'm low on the totem pole), should I feel obligated to buy everyone something now (even though it's late) or just let it go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment