Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2019, 10:51 PM
 
1,146 posts, read 1,404,014 times
Reputation: 896

Advertisements

Background: Currently work full time at a toxic job I am looking to leave ASAP.

I interviewed with a company I want to work for and a job that was nearly perfect for what I want to do.

I did two interview rounds and just found out they went with someone else for the full time position. But then they said “we would love for you to do part time 1099 work for us. We are growing quickly and want to keep you in mind for future full time positions”.

What should I do here? Do you think they mean the part about keeping me in mind for future full time positions? I do know for a fact they are growing and obtaining more work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2019, 11:00 PM
 
8,275 posts, read 3,751,106 times
Reputation: 5889
1099 conversions to full time are common. I've actually had it happen 6 times (twice by the same company at different points of my career).

1099 has some really great benefits, financially, if you do it right. In fact, I often prefer to be 1099 due to these benefits (mostly tax benefits).

However, the challenge here is going part time. If part time doesn't work for you, then this whole deal doesn't work for you. Otherwise, don't let the 1099 status fool you. Figure out your terms and see if they are met. Then work your way to full time.

Best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 07:39 AM
 
1,146 posts, read 1,404,014 times
Reputation: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
1099 conversions to full time are common. I've actually had it happen 6 times (twice by the same company at different points of my career).

1099 has some really great benefits, financially, if you do it right. In fact, I often prefer to be 1099 due to these benefits (mostly tax benefits).

However, the challenge here is going part time. If part time doesn't work for you, then this whole deal doesn't work for you. Otherwise, don't let the 1099 status fool you. Figure out your terms and see if they are met. Then work your way to full time.

Best

How long did you work as a 1099 at that company before being offered full time position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 07:47 AM
 
8,275 posts, read 3,751,106 times
Reputation: 5889
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
How long did you work as a 1099 at that company before being offered full time position?
I had the opportunity to do it multiple times and it ranged anywhere from 1.5 months to 3 years. I try to keep it at 1099 as long as I can in most cases... and was fortunate that the one company was comfortable with me keeping 1099 status for nearly 3 years... but they were chasing me to join on W2 for majority of that time and I eventually caved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,914 posts, read 6,395,282 times
Reputation: 4033
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
Background: Currently work full time at a toxic job I am looking to leave ASAP.

I interviewed with a company I want to work for and a job that was nearly perfect for what I want to do.

I did two interview rounds and just found out they went with someone else for the full time position. But then they said “we would love for you to do part time 1099 work for us. We are growing quickly and want to keep you in mind for future full time positions”.

What should I do here? Do you think they mean the part about keeping me in mind for future full time positions? I do know for a fact they are growing and obtaining more work.

I don't know your family life, but if this is the place you want to work for and do the job you want to do, I would take the part-time job. You can pick up another part time job to make ends meet until they offer you a full time gig. I realize you wouldn't have benefits, and that would be the worst part of it, but getting your foot into the door is a big step (no pun intended.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 07:49 AM
 
3,882 posts, read 2,334,202 times
Reputation: 7440
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
Background: Currently work full time at a toxic job I am looking to leave ASAP.

I interviewed with a company I want to work for and a job that was nearly perfect for what I want to do.

I did two interview rounds and just found out they went with someone else for the full time position. But then they said “we would love for you to do part time 1099 work for us. We are growing quickly and want to keep you in mind for future full time positions”.

What should I do here? Do you think they mean the part about keeping me in mind for future full time positions? I do know for a fact they are growing and obtaining more work.
If they can't afford to bring you on full-time for the job you applied for as a regular employee then this isn't a place for you, especially since they passed you up for someone else. But they want you cheap for 1099 (zero benefits) and then will string you along part-time. After they have you working there part-time on 1099, they will again offer the next full-time job to someone else with another good excuse. Don't sell yourself short here. Don't settle and don't believe what they are telling you. If this company is so tight they can't bring you on full-time, this isn't a place for you. Sorry, I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I think you should tell them you are only available for full-time work, and continue to keep looking for a full-time job you'll be happy at.

Again, you can't ignore the fact they selected someone else full-time for the job you applied for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 07:55 AM
 
7,889 posts, read 4,887,974 times
Reputation: 15827
Don’t work for a company that is trying to find ways to scam around paying benefits and playing it cheap as possible so all the management can rake in more money at the end of the quarter.

That’s not a place to be. Business is give and take. If you scratch their back, they need to scratch yours as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 08:10 AM
 
11,230 posts, read 9,153,045 times
Reputation: 32246
They don't want to pay your insurance or vacation.


If you have insurance from another source (like an employed spouse) and you either don't care about vacation days or are prepared to take a direct hit in your wallet each time you take a day off, it could work for you.


If this employer doesn't have the budget to hire you full time, "eligible for hiring full time down the road" probably means "although the chance that we will ever get the headcount budget to make this position a FTE is less than the chance you will win the lottery tomorrow, still it's not zero, so it is theoretically possible we might hire you as FTE".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 08:17 AM
 
1,146 posts, read 1,404,014 times
Reputation: 896
My second interview was with the co-founder. He mentioned they had over $15 million in revenue and last week they just got $10 million in funding from an investor. The co-founded said they would use that funding towards growing their employee base in order to handle their increased workload. Seems to be that why would they cheap out to have me as a 1099 if what he said were true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 08:21 AM
 
8,275 posts, read 3,751,106 times
Reputation: 5889
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
My second interview was with the co-founder. He mentioned they had over $15 million in revenue and last week they just got $10 million in funding from an investor. The co-founded said they would use that funding towards growing their employee base in order to handle their increased workload. Seems to be that why would they cheap out to have me as a 1099 if what he said were true?
Why do you think 1099 is driven by cost to the employer? Did they say that or are you making an assumption?

A better question is why would they want you only for part time if they think you are valuable to the company and they have the money?

Question to you: Would you be opex or capex for the company? That plays a large part in the hiring process. If you're purely opex, I can see why they would save the money for capex. Revenue is best used to drive business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top