Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 10:24 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times

Advertisements

IN a way. I once had a 9 month beard and one day I shaved it off. My supervisor said "Now I can tell what mood you're in without it"....I started regrowing it.... Keep them scared and they stay away....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 10:29 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Or it's possible its simply an office full of idiots.

Birds of a feather...
Or that. Some people really can't grasp the concept of everyone having different personalities. I don't understand why someone being quiet and focusing on their work rubs so many people the wrong way.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:37 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Or that. Some people really can't grasp the concept of everyone having different personalities. I don't understand why someone being quiet and focusing on their work rubs so many people the wrong way.

Increased immaturity of society. Most People do no grow emotionally and in their maturity level after high school. Everyone has a "herd mentality" and if you don't fit into the herd, you aren't welcomed.

Its why most of everyone you ever see getting promoted are the extroverted, backstabbing sociopaths who form cliques. Not the introverted workers who do all the work and bring value and don't care about establishing relationships. Introverts just go in to work, do a good job, work hard, bring value, and leave to go home. Companies hate these types of people today. Its why most of them are toilets.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:49 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
"Relationship-building" (yes, this is what corporate culture actually calls it) has become more important than whatever work people were actually hired to do in the first place. I hate it, being an introvert, but I'm nearing retirement, so I mostly missed that particular chapter in the history of employment, thank goodness. I still get the stink eye when I eschew potlucks and birthday cakes, but OH WELL! What can they do -- fire me?

Old 03-20-2019, 10:55 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,575,584 times
You are doing the right thing. Don’t worry too much about what others think. You are only there to perform some work and in exchange of a paycheck. As long as you do what you are expected to do, then you are good.

Workplace is not the place to have friend or family, at least from my point of view.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
You are doing the right thing. Don’t worry too much about what others think. You are only there to perform some work and in exchange of a paycheck. As long as you do what you are expected to do, then you are good.

Workplace is not the place to have friend or family, at least from my point of view.
Actually, you may not "be good"... Supervisors now put a lot of stock in their employees conforming, smiling, and being a so-called team player. As I say, I'm fortunate to personally be in a position where I no longer have to care but, if I were just starting out in the workplace or my career, this WOULD be of concern to me. Corporate culture says we ARE "friends and family," not just coworkers, and you go along with it or suffer the consequences.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:18 PM

841 posts, read 553,367 times
I think it would all depend on size of office and type of work. In my work, our office is a team. We each are in charge of parts that all interlock and overlap. We hire based upon personalities fitting in with the current team. In fact, one sort of funny thing is that the one role that keeps changing is our supervisor, yet we keep things running. In the past we've dealt with planned position changes (plenty of notice and someone in line to make transition), someone not being renewed the next year (given notice and they completed the year), and just recently, had the supervisor arrested on a warrant from out of state (so, absolutely no notice). If our office did not have a good relationship on a personal level, I'm not sure we would have survived some of these changes!

Old 03-20-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa6660 View Post
I think it would all depend on size of office and type of work. In my work, our office is a team. We each are in charge of parts that all interlock and overlap. We hire based upon personalities fitting in with the current team. In fact, one sort of funny thing is that the one role that keeps changing is our supervisor, yet we keep things running. In the past we've dealt with planned position changes (plenty of notice and someone in line to make transition), someone not being renewed the next year (given notice and they completed the year), and just recently, had the supervisor arrested on a warrant from out of state (so, absolutely no notice). If our office did not have a good relationship on a personal level, I'm not sure we would have survived some of these changes!
Sounds like you've found the perfect job for your personality, but some of us work better or prefer to work alone. Pressure to engage in constant "teamwork," much less socialize with coworkers on top of that, is not our cup of tea.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:59 PM

841 posts, read 553,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Sounds like you've found the perfect job for your personality, but some of us work better or prefer to work alone. Pressure to engage in constant "teamwork," much less socialize with coworkers on top of that, is not our cup of tea.
Oh, it's definitely not constant teamwork. I'm an introvert and have social anxiety. There is no socializing outside of work or anything. And maybe that balance is what works.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:15 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Actually, you may not "be good"... Supervisors now put a lot of stock in their employees conforming, smiling, and being a so-called team player. As I say, I'm fortunate to personally be in a position where I no longer have to care but, if I were just starting out in the workplace or my career, this WOULD be of concern to me. Corporate culture says we ARE "friends and family," not just coworkers, and you go along with it or suffer the consequences.
Yep and there’s plenty of abusive families out there LOL. Everyone is a “family” until a bunch of executives decide they want to jack up stock prices a little and put money in their pockets for a 2nd yacht or 20th car and the layoffs begin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment