Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:02 PM

6,459 posts, read 3,980,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
I feel like I lack confidence in many areas still, and that my team doesn't really fully trust me outside of putting together some reporting for them. For instance, they rarely consult me prior to client meetings, and I seldom get invited to go to those meetings. In the consulting world, that's a fairly big part of the role it seems.
Is it possible they simply don't know what to do with you? If they don't ask you to do all of the things you think you should be doing for them, maybe they don't know you can? Have they had someone in your role before? Because if not, it may be a matter of, they're used to doing everything and it doesn't occur to them that they can throw some of it at you.

I've had this happen to me many times in various support positions. "Gosh we haven't had an assistant in so long we're used to doing everything ourselves!" Once got into a new position, only to be told "well... we don't really need you..." I was thinking, "from what I've seen and been told about how things function here, yes you do... even if you don't realize it." (They shuttled me into another position where they needed someone, anyway.) Or, the other day my boss was like "hey, um, can you do this Thing... if you're not too busy... would that be all right?" I said, "Yes, it is literally my job to do that kind of thing for you."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 08:21 PM

780 posts, read 425,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Is it possible they simply don't know what to do with you? If they don't ask you to do all of the things you think you should be doing for them, maybe they don't know you can? Have they had someone in your role before? Because if not, it may be a matter of, they're used to doing everything and it doesn't occur to them that they can throw some of it at you.

I've had this happen to me many times in various support positions. "Gosh we haven't had an assistant in so long we're used to doing everything ourselves!" Once got into a new position, only to be told "well... we don't really need you..." I was thinking, "from what I've seen and been told about how things function here, yes you do... even if you don't realize it." (They shuttled me into another position where they needed someone, anyway.) Or, the other day my boss was like "hey, um, can you do this Thing... if you're not too busy... would that be all right?" I said, "Yes, it is literally my job to do that kind of thing for you."
This is a valid point. I'm the first analyst they've had on staff in this office. So maybe there is some truth in that.

That said, they are aware that a big part of how we consult with our client has to do with financials. They don't come to me for that, nor do they include me in meetings where it could be beneficial for me to learn. In fact, during our interview with the senior financial analyst candidate, they made a point that they needed someone who could help them understand the financials more so they can present to clients. So my initial thought to that was, "Well, then what am I here for?"

Old 03-20-2019, 08:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
This is a valid point. I'm the first analyst they've had on staff in this office. So maybe there is some truth in that.

That said, they are aware that a big part of how we consult with our client has to do with financials. They don't come to me for that, nor do they include me in meetings where it could be beneficial for me to learn. In fact, during our interview with the senior financial analyst candidate, they made a point that they needed someone who could help them understand the financials more so they can present to clients. So my initial thought to that was, "Well, then what am I here for?"
You said earlier your boss praises you. Why not ask her to include you in these meetings? That you are willing to learn more and as you said where it would be beneficial.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:50 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,744,556 times
You have similar issues as me. It's kind of ironic given your job as an analyst. You are good at analyzing. Therefore you think a lot. Thinking a lot leads to anxiety. You're catastrophizing.

But you could be right about needing to learn more. You wanted more training. Is there a way you can self teach. Is there a class you can take. You are smart. You can learn on your own I'm sure. Could you talk to your boss about ways you can learn on your own, like ask about classes or online resources you can study?

Old 03-21-2019, 12:16 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
You were hired as a Staff Consultant"? Low man on the totem pole. They don't expect you to know anything aside from being a good employee--come to work every day, dress neatly, speak the language sort of thing.

You will learn. Couple of years in that role, then move up to Senior, then after 5-7 years, Manager.

Give it time. Pay attention to the real feedback, not the mental games you are playing with yourself. You will know if they are pushing you out, trust me.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:17 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Google impostor syndrome.
Or better yet, OP, read post #4 in this thread. Most of all, don't let your imagination invent performance issues that aren't there. It's good to be self-aware. It's not good to be overly self-critical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment