Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 12:55 PM

41 posts, read 24,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Some people, mostly men die within a couple of years after they retire. You may say, I've never heard of that. Some people die within a couple of years of their retirement because they've identified themselves so closely with their careers that the absence of doing that kills them.

Does that qualify or do you just want to be contrary?
Most people who die within a couple of years of retirement had health issues. They retired because of their health issues.

I know people who have been retired for decades and are not only alive, but very happy and healthy. Those are the normal people who no longer financially need to work, so they decide to pursue more personally fulfilling ways to spend their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 01:07 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I'm not for or against corporations.
Based on your posts in this very thread, you could have fooled me. Unions and corporations are adversaries. A hundred years ago the wealthy owners of corporations had governors call out the militia to shoot strikers.

Quote:
Obviously unions add a degree of certainty. They do it at the expense of penalizing more motivated people.
In union jobs people can do as well as their talents take them. Ambitious people who don't have to worry about vindictive managers or layoffs can focus on their work. You have been indoctrinated somewhere along the line that unions are destructive when unions are really trickle down in action.

Quote:
I know what is best for me. As I've repeatedly said, we should agree to disagree. You seem to want to fight instead of doing that.
Then back off because you seem to want to dominate the work and employment forum without being seriously challenged.

Last edited by Tonyafd; 03-23-2019 at 01:16 PM..

Old 03-23-2019, 01:25 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,915,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Based on your posts in this very thread, you could have fooled me. Unions and corporations are adversaries. A hundred years ago the wealthy owners of corporations had governors call out the militia to shoot strikers.

In union jobs people can do as well as their talents take them. Ambitious people who don't have to worry about vindictive managers or layoffs can focus on their work. You have been indoctrinated somewhere along the line that unions are destructive when unions are really trickle down in action.

Then back off because you seem to want to dominate the work and employment forum without being seriously challenged.
Back off? With respect, you responded to me first, not the other way around. I have repeatedly said we can agree to disagree. You seem to want to keep fighting in spite of that. I am not looking for a fight.

I do think you are wrong, and think unions are harmful to people's careers in their current form. Unions give these doom and gloom stories to protect the racket they have of collecting dues for something that isn't needed. We will never see eye to eye on this, and that's OK. We have different views. You will need to accept that.

All the best. You seem to have some sort of issue with me. Please send me a private message if that's the case and I'll be more than happy to discuss it like adults.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:55 PM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times
There are always hard working and damned lazy, nice and mean people in union or non-union, among employees and management.

Some people, especially in the management, think people in union are lazy and incompetent and are leeches, they are stupid to think so. They are close-minded. They don't open their eyes to see the differences in people. They are not observant. They just generalize all people in union are the same. They don't see their own sh*t. They are greedy, narcissistic, just want to push and shove employees to work like slaves for them like in the Roman time that people were building the pyramids, for them to be filthy rich and enjoy their life over others' sweat and blood. They don't have consideration and don't care about others at all. And when they don't get what they want, they get mad and hate the employees and try to think of ways to punish them.

Lots of people in union work hard, are very smart, knowledgeable, competent, much better than many ones in the management, but they don’t care to climb up the ladder because they have their personal reasons. They may not want to be bullies, push and shove employees. They may not want to work so, so hard for the ones above them, and the ones above them keep pushing them more and more and more to push the lower ones. And if they had some conscience and felt the ones above them were too greedy and corrupted, they would not dare to speak up. If they spoke up, they would get fired, or asked to resign. And more than often, non-union workers and the ones in the middle management may make more money than union workers, they cannot last for a long time even if they wanted to because the big bosses always want more and more and push them non-stop, they never feel enough, and no one can keep being like a strong horse forever. And when they (the ones on top) feel those who get older, a little bit slower (maybe) and cannot make more money for them, they want to get rid of them, and hire the younger and more energetic ones, so they can tell them to do this and that easier.

If people in non-union and in the management have no respect for the union people, ditto from people in union to those non-union ones.

Again, I'm glad I work with many hard working co-workers in the union and I know many nice managers also. I stay away from the lazy ones. And I dare to speak up for myself (with union's help also) when I feel bullied by anyone because I know I work hard, have very good technical skills, am smart, knowledgeable and competent. I care about my co-workers and myself. And I want peace at work.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 03-23-2019 at 02:18 PM..

Old 03-23-2019, 01:59 PM

Katalin, you are making the right decision. In a union job there are options available to you if you decide to have kids. No one will fire you when you assert your rights to maternity leave.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:08 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,739,508 times
I just got invited to test for a union apprenticeship. Pay more than doubles in 4 years and starting pay is not bad. Free classes. Pension. Benefits. Paid holidays and time off. I'm not debating with myself whether or not to pursue it.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Back off? With respect, you responded to me first, not the other way around. I have repeatedly said we can agree to disagree. You seem to want to keep fighting in spite of that. I am not looking for a fight.

I do think you are wrong, and think unions are harmful to people's careers in their current form. Unions give these doom and gloom stories to protect the racket they have of collecting dues for something that isn't needed. We will never see eye to eye on this, and that's OK. We have different views. You will need to accept that.

All the best. You seem to have some sort of issue with me. Please send me a private message if that's the case and I'll be more than happy to discuss it like adults.

In fairness to the OP, you questioned her judgment in post #5. Please reread post 5. Until next time.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:29 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdaybyday View Post
Most people who die within a couple of years of retirement had health issues. They retired because of their health issues.

I know people who have been retired for decades and are not only alive, but very happy and healthy. Those are the normal people who no longer financially need to work, so they decide to pursue more personally fulfilling ways to spend their lives.
It's a crapshoot as far as longevity no matter what anyone says...

Healthy people drop dead or get hit by a car in a crosswalk.

Others that are ill can go on for decades.

A local beloved High School teacher is one such that passed away after a career of teaching... his wife met when they were both in High School died about 20 years before after a long illness...

Anyway, the school had an assembly and farewell... and the local press covered it... I had him as a teacher so I was interested...

As a parting gift the graduating class gave him 4 tickets to Hamilton... he was eager to go and start the new chapter in his life... he did not show and it was found he passed in his sleep of a brain aneurism… 60 years old for 35 years teaching High School...

Friends that retired from their home of 40 years moved to a golf community... they were crossing the crosswalk and hit by a golf cart of a driver having a heart attack... she died, he is crippled and the driver died... how sad it that?

Live Day By Day like it is your last...

Old 03-23-2019, 07:30 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
If their web site does not specify whether the jobs are union or not, call the Med Ctr HR office and ask them.

It is very typical for universities and their hospitals to be separately incorporated. Both are large institutions, but they have different missions, and one set of policies and procedures for all would be detrimental to one group or another. As one example, hospitals are 24/7/365, while universities are not. Universities obtain income from tuition and state support, hospitals from medical fees and related insurance. Universities must be accredited, hospitals undergo a different version entirely.

This means that one institution may be unionized, while the other is not.
Another thing to keep in mind is that if you work for a state university, you're typically a state employee. The medical system of that university, incorporated separately, is typically private sector and healthcare generally has horrible benefits as it is.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:35 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
If their web site does not specify whether the jobs are union or not, call the Med Ctr HR office and ask them.

It is very typical for universities and their hospitals to be separately incorporated. Both are large institutions, but they have different missions, and one set of policies and procedures for all would be detrimental to one group or another. As one example, hospitals are 24/7/365, while universities are not. Universities obtain income from tuition and state support, hospitals from medical fees and related insurance. Universities must be accredited, hospitals undergo a different version entirely.

This means that one institution may be unionized, while the other is not.
The jobs are at the hospital regardless of where the listing is located. This is not about a university job vs a hospital job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment