Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 03:33 PM

576 posts, read 823,709 times

Advertisements

I work in Long term care and one of the policy is staff cannot eat remaining food from the residents meals.( the food that has not being served). It goes in the garbage at the end of the day. Some staff argue that they would rather throw it away than staff eat. I work as server and some staff in other departments don't bring their own food and are always asking us once all residents have been served. But some of us have to follow the rules because we can lose our jobs for giving them food even though its going in the garbage

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-30-2019 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: Merged two threads on same topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 03:39 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,753,680 times
It might be because of how the food is paid for; the funding might not allow it to be served to anyone else but the covered patients/residents.

It might also be to keep staff from eating up resident's food - eating a few servings of leftover is one thing, which can quickly turn into 'good stuff' being hoarded or not served so the staff can pig out on it. A flat "no" rule solves all the possible problems.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:43 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
It may also be to prevent kitchen staff from making extra food that they know won't get eaten so that there are leftovers.

If you cannot eat any of it, then there is no incentive to make extra.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:23 PM

2,116 posts, read 1,320,732 times
Both of the posters above have good explanations.

Besides, when the staff eat the leftover food from the residents, sooner or later, the residents and their families will notice, and they will say staff steal their food because they paid for it, and they don't know and/or don't care if it's leftover or not. That's a very bad impression. The owner would not want to have such a bad impression (staff eating leftover food) and a bad name (staff stealing the residents' food).

Nowadays, people write reviews on the internet. It would be very embarrassing for the company/owner to have such a bad review. Whoever eats even leftover could get fired.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:29 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
Both of the posters above have good explanations.

Besides, when the staff eat the leftover food from the residents, sooner or later, the residents and their families will notice, and they will say staff steal their food because they paid for it, and they don't know and/or don't care if it's leftover or not. That's a very bad impression. The owner would not want to have such bad impression (staff eating leftover food) and bad name (staff stealing the residents' food)..
I agree. I've worked in nursing homes and there is potential to consider this stealing from the residents. There is potential for abuse such as serving less food to residents, denying them second helpings, so that the staff will have more to eat.

It's not hard to pack a simple sandwich to take to work, and doesn't cost much either. If the staff has a lunch hour, it's their responsibility to bring their own food or get take-out somewhere.

Last edited by PriscillaVanilla; 03-24-2019 at 05:22 PM..

Old 03-24-2019, 10:09 PM

21 posts, read 17,233 times
If you are raising a pig, this extra food going into the trash would be ideal. Disheartening food is being wasted

Old 03-24-2019, 10:17 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,976 times
There's also a health issue. The food is exposed to people who are ill, have some kind of infectious disease.

You could have someone who is coughing up a lung, but can't eat, so their spittle is flying all over the place and hitting the food. They don't have to eat the food for it to become worthless.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:14 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,391,133 times
The Nursing home I worked has some sort of lunchroom in the basement where staff members have their lunch. It Includes a vending machine, pizza oven, and even a refrigerator for their lunch from home

Old 03-25-2019, 10:10 AM

576 posts, read 823,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
The Nursing home I worked has some sort of lunchroom in the basement where staff members have their lunch. It Includes a vending machine, pizza oven, and even a refrigerator for their lunch from home
We have staff room that includes the microwave for staff to heat up their own food, vending machines ,refrigerator

Old 03-25-2019, 10:19 AM

1,011 posts, read 785,461 times
The Hospital i worked at we had room service so the meals were made to order. If the Patient was at a test or discharged they put the trey in the dirty cart. I would just ask the kitchen staff for the trey and ate the food. When the patient came back from testing they would just resend a new trey. Before they switched to room service the food was gross. I Wouldn't feed it to my dog. They would prepare the food and freeze it and reheat it for the patients using retherm.

The nursing home sometimes only made enough food for the residents. You can buy a staff trey for $4.00. But the resident food looks nasty and flavorless.

Last edited by banksock; 03-25-2019 at 10:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment