Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 03:32 PM

399 posts, read 354,951 times

Advertisements

And they'll get what they pay for...peanuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 03:33 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
And they'll get what they pay for...peanuts.

Thats all companies care about sadly. Quality of work is of no concern to companies now. Just whats "cheapest" sadly

As long as some stuffed suit gets added stock options and a few extra million thats all that matters

Old 03-30-2019, 11:55 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
I've worked for ACCN btw and I preferred having lunch with the techies rather than with my co-workers from the operations clerical office.
Since no one has addressed this yet. You keep going on about liking techie and nerdy people but you don't know how opposite the field can be for those people too.

You liking a subset of people doesn't mean all people in that group are like that. The ones you like, are the ones who are also the more sociable ones. They can't stand the rest of them either so they went outside and met people like you.

Tech/It people can be miserable people to work with as well, some have horrible social skills so interacting with them outside of directing them to projects is about all you can do to talk with them. Then they put on headphones and off to their own little boxes. The ones who would be fine to talk with are still miserable because they hate their jobs, but they can't or won't work elsewhere. They go around being bitter all day over it, talking with them sucks too.

Basically, you are choosing topics you are interested in, and thinking that's the only type of people who get into the field. Prime example, look at yourself. You seem to dislike your job but some how you ended up in it. What makes you think other jobs aren't the same?

Safer bet to keep your hobbies as hobbies, when you add timelines and money into the mix, a hobby can turn into a nightmare

Old 03-31-2019, 08:10 AM

399 posts, read 354,951 times
^I also use headphones (I can't work otherwise with open office layout distraction. Visual distraction is bad enough).
I think most people that go into politics, business, journalism, PR, acting, Economics, Marketing, Operations etc. are worse than the techies you describe. They're rotten, narcissistic self-serving psychopaths with thick skins that got there by throwing people under the bus rather than by hard work. It was hell studying with them at uni. We need more techies, doctors, (better-paid) teachers, scientists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment