Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 11:43 AM

399 posts, read 354,951 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have a Bachelor degree in Business. A MSc in Communication. I have basic HTML and CSS knowledge. So far I've worked in accounting and analytics jobs. I need something more creative. I've liked tinkering with computers since I first used one and configing and re-installing software since eons.

The thing is I have a very good logical thinking but not good at calculating. I can gasp the logic of human languages but are programming languages similar? Do you think I can jump ship and become a Junior JavaScript developer? Or maybe become a system administrator (I think it requires even more learning for a lower salary though?). I get on better with techy or artsy people, can't see eye to eye with other business/Economics/Accounting grads...

I'm 30 going on 31 and this might be my last chance to escape the spreadsheet accounting hell and finance where you have to have connections to get a good salary as clerical jobs pay peanuts. I am more of a creative rather than an accounting type. Not interested one bit in finance, accounting and Economics. I believe JavaScript would be more creative than a call center or doing accounting processing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 12:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Go to ed to go dot com. Take one of their fundamental web design classes. Should cost under $200 and go over the basics. If you can handle it, you'll know your aptitude for web design as a career. Other IT related courses also.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:25 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Not that you won't do well making the switch, no clue...

But your assumption that you like to tinker with hardware and installing software means you would like working as a programmer or web design seems like a jump in logic... Almost like saying you like changing your car oil and putting in the music tape would make you a nascar driver.

Go for it after you do a better job researching and understanding what they do exactly beyond what you see on YouTube/tv. They only portray the good stuff and none of the bad.

Why not go into marketing instead if you like artsy and tech people?

Being able to do something doesn't mean be able to like the job. Even if you had aptitude for it, but hate the job, you won't stick around for it to pay off. At 30, at least do a better job of looking before you jump than a 20 year old would.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:41 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Isn't the web development market saturated? I know a few guys that started in web development in the $40k-$49k range in Texas. They quit and moved into analytics or cybersecurity for a 50% raise.

Last edited by move4ward; 03-27-2019 at 01:15 PM..

Old 03-27-2019, 01:03 PM

399 posts, read 354,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Not that you won't do well making the switch, no clue...

But your assumption that you like to tinker with hardware and installing software means you would like working as a programmer or web design seems like a jump in logic... Almost like saying you like changing your car oil and putting in the music tape would make you a nascar driver.

Go for it after you do a better job researching and understanding what they do exactly beyond what you see on YouTube/tv. They only portray the good stuff and none of the bad.

Why not go into marketing instead if you like artsy and tech people?
Because I don't like the aggressive marketing types.
Btw I've worked with Windows registry, customizing my OS etc. most business grads don't know how to do. I am great at breaking computers by stumbling into bugs and circumventing system protections of any kind. Want to test your new software, let me discover its bugs, I sure will. I am like the pied piper of software/web bugs.

The Web Dev market here in Bulgaria is huge. Too few people, too many jobs.... and an IT guy sure lives better here than in Western Europe due to the big salaries and the low standard and taxes.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:14 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Every college kid has done Windows registry work and customized their OS...

Look into software beta testing or debugging jobs if you like this. I get paid to "test" websites which means they give me a few websites and I tell them which version I prefer and why. Not a real job because it isnt regular, it's pocket money really since I do it once every few months for $100 each time. But they have people who do this as a real job is what I mean. They are the ones who make the different designs and fix the bugs I come across and report to them.

For some reason, I thought Bucharest was where the IT jobs were in your region, not Bulgaria. But I was only a tourist and based this off the office buildings I saw.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:19 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Isn't the web development market saturated?
Yep.

And the people getting hired are not code monkeys and homo faber.* A genuine eye for design, usability, esthetics and so forth is needed for anything front-end or full stack.

* 'Man the Tool User' == people who master the tool but really have no idea what they're doing with it.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:01 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
The whole deal depends upon "who you are"...

For example, short of starving I could not and would not work any corporate job (short of one where I was in charge or near the top). I could not, day in and day out, do things that did not satisfy.

Some people are more cut out for various task than others.

In terms of being a web developer or publisher, I started a site in 1996 and ran it for 18 years profitably - started another one along the way also. You could PM me if you had specific question, but I worked for myself in that endeavor.

If I had to be short and sweet I'd say the "meat market" of programming and web developing has much more supply than demand. But, to quote Steve Jobs, the "A Teams" are always in demand and can - to a degree - write their own ticket.

Basically I'd say to either figure out a way you can be in business for yourself (or write you own ticket constantly as a top contractor) or else go work for a check. There isn't much in-between since the lowest common denominator factor (need I mention fivver?) is always at play.

As as aside, I had a student from night (adult) classes I gave in "google" and other such things. He was getting his doctorate in processor design and simulation and he had a paid internship with Apple Computer for the summer. Here was a top tier dude!

Well, he insisted on meeting me a couple times for lunch and his big "ask" was how he could become like me (a high school dropout) and just run a web site or the like!

I thought it was funny because here was this top guy who could do anything and he wanted to be a forum admin like I was!

Last edited by craigiri; 03-27-2019 at 06:11 PM..

Old 03-27-2019, 06:31 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
If you're going into development, you better get into something GOOD, so learn Java, android app, Apple app development, or other languages. Javascript and web development is saturated and outsourced regularly.

This is not a "spend 2 months and get a job" thing. This is "you're working at a job you hate (accounting, finance) for a few years, learning how to do this RIGHT at night, building up an awesome portfolio before you even THINK of jumping ship" kind of thing.

Of course, I'm assuming you don't want your job outsourced to H1B visa holders. I'm assuming you actually want a career and be a success in this career.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:43 AM

3,830 posts, read 1,383,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
Hi, I have a Bachelor degree in Business. A MSc in Communication. I have basic HTML and CSS knowledge. So far I've worked in accounting and analytics jobs. I need something more creative. I've liked tinkering with computers since I first used one and configing and re-installing software since eons.

The thing is I have a very good logical thinking but not good at calculating. I can gasp the logic of human languages but are programming languages similar? Do you think I can jump ship and become a Junior JavaScript developer? Or maybe become a system administrator (I think it requires even more learning for a lower salary though?). I get on better with techy or artsy people, can't see eye to eye with other business/Economics/Accounting grads...

I'm 30 going on 31 and this might be my last chance to escape the spreadsheet accounting hell and finance where you have to have connections to get a good salary as clerical jobs pay peanuts. I am more of a creative rather than an accounting type. Not interested one bit in finance, accounting and Economics. I believe JavaScript would be more creative than a call center or doing accounting processing.

Guess what - switching jobs to be a beginning 'web developer' instead is gonna end you up in a situation 'where you have to have connections to get a good salary as 'WEB DEVELOPER' jobs pay peanuts.'.....
sound familiar?

To get ahead, you need to SUPPLEMENT your current certifications/skills with something SPECIFIC that COMPLEMENTS; for example, YOU should look into specifically learning/getting certified in MS-SQL with a focus on Business Intelligence, data warehouse&big data/analytics, etc, and even machine learning/AI. THIS field will leverage your degree/experience, let you creatively 'develop' with field you are already familiar, AND catapult your salary as there is HUGE demand for this now (starting pay $100k+ with certification) and in the future (especially with machine learning/AI). In a position like this you will most likely be spending at least part of your time with the companies Decision Makers, who need the output of your work, (instead of a web IT manager cracking a whip on you daily). Good position to make 'connections'....

PLUS, you'd still need to learn SQL/database anyway to be a decent web developer as almost every web application requires it.

Last edited by CCCyou; 03-28-2019 at 09:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment