Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2019, 04:03 AM

669 posts, read 582,407 times

Advertisements

I am always interested to learn who viewed mine. Recently my employer did. And our competitor did. Hmmmm..I have zero interest in working for our smaller competitor...was just wondering about my company looking at it. Nothing new to learn about me.

I do get aggravated when someone views it in private mode even when I paid for the Premium access. I cancelled that program esp if views can still be private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 05:13 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
The overwhelming hits I get are via their homepage. So they likely saw something I posted or saw my profile through something a mutual connection posted to me.

IMO - It doesn't' mean anything. I look at profiles all the time because something in the title or where they work caught my eye. And honestly, more often than not, I'm looking at their connections just to see if there's anyone I know. So when someone looked at my profile, I just assume they are more interested in my connections than actually me.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:31 AM

607 posts, read 978,525 times
I get the weekly "showed up in a search" by random companies I have nothing to do with...lol. I suspect it is random crap that they pull to make it look like people are searching for you when it isn't the case.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:47 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
People looking to sell me something (real estate people, insurance people etc.), people wanting to work at my company (who promptly message me their sales pitch for hiring them despite me not having any influence), recruiters offering me chances at positions that will pay half of what I make now for double the amount of work, and lastly a few people from my company or industry in general. Mainly the first three though.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:18 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
I tend to get the

* recruiters seeking to fill [$wrong_role] in [$wrong_location]
* Fake account of a powerful official somewhere, they've had the same job for 85 years that they're famous for. (419 scammers)
* Hot chick from [$third_world_country] with no work experience. (love scams)
* Student from [$third_world_country] who want me to do their homework for them.
* sales droids from schools, training, etc., "just take our [$short_time] course in [$Hot_field] and you'll make $$$ in a new field with no experience!"

That's the noise I get.

But after I ignore all the noise, I do get the good stuff such as:
* recruiters seeking to fill [$correct_job] in [$correct_location]
* someone who is inspired by something I posted and becomes a good connection
* someone who agrees with something I posted and recommends I meet [$good_connection]
* a hiring manager of one company who can't hire me now, but recommends his friend who is a hiring manager at another company

To get the good stuff, publish articles, and post comments on other people's posts. If they're good comments, insightful, value adding, or solve problems - that builds relationships.

LinkedIn is worth it - it is a tool, that IF USED WISELY, can help build connections to help your career. But if you use it like facebook, it becomes wortheless.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:06 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,591 times
I am actively applying for jobs. My profile views come from random companies, sometimes in random cities. I also get viewed by "administration" at my own employer every time.

As another poster mentioned, I think LinkedIn makes a lot of the content up to persuade you to pay for Premium membership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment