Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 01:24 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Exploding ink packet.

Even better - a glitter bomb. It would trash your desk but totally worth it

https://www.thepackageguard.com/porc...nk-the-pirate/

https://gizmodo.com/former-nasa-engi...aHSTJ6x04SW9Z4
And it would totally mark the offender - glitter just won't come off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 02:12 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergirl87 View Post
I work for local government and this week someone and I have no clue who it could be has been going to my desk and moving things around. For example, they are going in my desk and moving things around. The last time I placed a little note on top of my desk compartment and this person placed items underneath the note and still moved my stuff. I don't keep anything valuable at my desk but I am getting rather annoyed and don't know why someone would do this. I pretty much mind my own business. Maybe this is stupid but I did go to my boss who suggested that I get locks put on. We don't have a policy about surveillance but I am just wonder how I should go about doing this and if I catch the person how to approach from there. This is very awkward and I have never had this happen before.
You really ought to ask a lawyer licensed to practice in the state where you live. The law varies from state to state. Some places it will make a difference whether the camera records audio as well as video. That's the legal side. On the employment side, you better clear it with your boss.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:28 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
OP---it's frustrating, isn't it?

Some years back, I had something similar happen to me. My desk was in an open space where all us assistants sat. For a long time, nothing happened. Then, on a daily basis, when it was time to go home, I would lock up my desk---even all my pens. What remained on my desk was very little (in/out box), typing stand and my nameplate. When I would come in every morning, I would notice that someone deliberately pushed things around---and it only happened to me. I never said anything about it. At first, I figured it was the cleaning staff but, again, it only happened to me. My next thought was that someone didn't like me. My boss and I had spoken up because there was a lot of dead weight in the office---people who knew they had work to do but waited until the last minute to do it because they were socializing. Then they would go to my boss and tell her they expected me to help them. I know some people weren't happy about actually having to do their work...

Figuring that it was the latter, I said nothing about the desk. Since, if I was correct, they were out to annoy me and I wouldn't give them the satisfaction. One thing I did do --- I taped my nameplate to the desk and found a way to lock up more small items. After that, the problem stopped.

Could it be someone that doesn't like you for whatever reason and is hoping to get a rise out of you?

Old 03-29-2019, 07:28 PM

497 posts, read 422,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergirl87 View Post
I work for local government and this week someone and I have no clue who it could be has been going to my desk and moving things around. For example, they are going in my desk and moving things around. The last time I placed a little note on top of my desk compartment and this person placed items underneath the note and still moved my stuff. I don't keep anything valuable at my desk but I am getting rather annoyed and don't know why someone would do this. I pretty much mind my own business. Maybe this is stupid but I did go to my boss who suggested that I get locks put on. We don't have a policy about surveillance but I am just wonder how I should go about doing this and if I catch the person how to approach from there. This is very awkward and I have never had this happen before.
I am sorry that you are going through the experience and I can relate. Don't get a camera. We got email that cellphones and recorders/cameras cannot be used at work and to take photos. I would photograph my desk so that I can see what was being moved around and did this discreetly.

Someone at work could be playing you, or sabotage your work and your head. This is very common with government jobs. Act like you don't notice and don't let it show that you noticed. Document daily of how you left your desk. Do what you can to keep your papers in a certain way to see what effort they've done on your desk. Also, don't tell the manager. One manager I had did this to people's desk and didn't care because she is the "manager".

As others said, it is very possible that the cleaners touched it. At work, we noticed our phones are dirty, because they usually use our phones for personal use and I think they know it can make long distance phone calls to other countries, so they use it.

I think you need to focus strictly on your job and not worry about that. If someone is sabotage your work, you have to find another way to put that work where the sabotage doesn't come back to you.

I would love to hear an update OP, because we can all learn from other people experience so that we would know how to deal with this problem if it happened to us.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:30 PM

497 posts, read 422,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
OP---it's frustrating, isn't it?

Some years back, I had something similar happen to me. My desk was in an open space where all us assistants sat. For a long time, nothing happened. Then, on a daily basis, when it was time to go home, I would lock up my desk---even all my pens. What remained on my desk was very little (in/out box), typing stand and my nameplate. When I would come in every morning, I would notice that someone deliberately pushed things around---and it only happened to me. I never said anything about it. At first, I figured it was the cleaning staff but, again, it only happened to me. My next thought was that someone didn't like me. My boss and I had spoken up because there was a lot of dead weight in the office---people who knew they had work to do but waited until the last minute to do it because they were socializing. Then they would go to my boss and tell her they expected me to help them. I know some people weren't happy about actually having to do their work...

Figuring that it was the latter, I said nothing about the desk. Since, if I was correct, they were out to annoy me and I wouldn't give them the satisfaction. One thing I did do --- I taped my nameplate to the desk and found a way to lock up more small items. After that, the problem stopped.

Could it be someone that doesn't like you for whatever reason and is hoping to get a rise out of you?
Oh yes! I would have to agree with you on that. This happens a lot in government jobs.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:58 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
Do NOT under any circumstances take it upon yourself to install any type of surveillance equipment in your place of employment. That is not your responsibility to do so. You could potentially open yourself up to a lot bigger concerns than someone messing with your desk.You’ve reported it, now let it go and let mgt handle it.

Going through desks is actually much more common than you might think it is.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:44 AM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post

Going through desks is actually much more common than you might think it is.
I work on special projects now and then, and sometimes I run out of staples or post its or something. First thing I do is go to a neighboring desk. I try not to move anything around, but it happens.

That said, the OP makes it sound more deliberate than that.

I still like my glitter idea

Old 03-30-2019, 06:23 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
how about the webcam on your computer? Not tech savvy, so I don't know how that would work.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:37 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
If you can do it discretely, then do so. If you determine who's rifling through your stuff, you likely can't do anything about it via normal means, but you can totally use it to character assassinate whoever is doing it in the office. From there things have a way of moving forward.

Dude, WTF is Jenny doing in my desk? That's so creepy. Check this out.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:39 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I work on special projects now and then, and sometimes I run out of staples or post its or something. First thing I do is go to a neighboring desk. I try not to move anything around, but it happens.

That said, the OP makes it sound more deliberate than that.

I still like my glitter idea

The OP didn't give any examples of what "things" are being moved or left in disarray or indicate that it in any way caused her harm or made her work suffer so sounds to me like the op is just easily irritated by small things. I'm betting it's the cleaning service.

If I was her boss I'd be annoyed at her wasting my time with such silliness. I'd remind her that it isn't "her" desk or "her" computer, it's the area she is designated to use when she is in the office. If company items are missing, report it and forget it as it then become the company's concern to address or not. Bring personal items to work at your own risk, the company will not be responsible for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment