Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 01:43 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,730,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
So is it worth the black mark you could have on file at that company for years just to tell this person off to HR? Why wouldn't you keep the door open with that company to work there again?

I've only burned bridges with one company in my life, and in hindsight it wasn't worth it.
I think there's something that clearly is not being understood in my posts.

The company has offices across the world and each office has a separate HR. It is going down the drain worldwide. No one in their right mind would come back to this specific office, where the wage is lower than you average and where the management is utterly toxic.

I may come back to the company overseas, but certainly not in to my current office. This I'm adamant about.

There's plenty of companies out there without having to resort coming back to this mess.

I really don't care that I might burn bridges with this office. At the rate it's going, it might no longer exist in 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
No?

HR wont notify her or senior management anyway until it becomes a problem for the company. if after 3 years, still an analyst company doesn't value you period. Furthermore, recognition incentives are just a "kudos' they mean nothing and have no substance. Think of it this way, the value of an incentive is determined by how much effort was required. Saying thanks for doing your job requires no effort and no tangible benefits comes of it.

Funny thing about analysts, they are replaceable and entry level roles no matter how long/ responsibilities/ exp. Your department has high turnover because limited opportunities for growth aka your company refuses to invest in the employees that work in your department. People there hit the wall fast.

Career progression in corporate America is pretty much universal. An analyst is an analyst. An associate is an associate. A VP etc. It sounds like your company wanted to keep costs low hence the hierarchy in you department is prob. like:

Analyst 1
Analyst 2
"Team Leader" aka Analyst 3
"IDK" Analyst 4 but really should be called Associate

boom

Manager

Many companies do this crap to keep costs low.
Haha, it's exactly the hierarchy:

Analyst 1
Analyst 2
Associate - Team Lead
AVP
VP

There's no director, which speaks a lot. All the directors are primarily located abroad.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:57 PM

7,124 posts, read 3,950,358 times
My husband's small employer was brought by a Fortune 500 company. The new CEO was dreadful - incompetent - no knowledge of the industry - etc. This CEO lost the company millions of dollars each year. No one at the Fortune 500 company cared.

My husband found a new job. He resigned without burning any bridges.

For three years, my husband was happily working at this new company. Then his present employer brought his previous one. His whole department was transferred back to the same location.

Only goes to show, one never knows. You could be working with the same people again.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:58 PM

For those saying I didn't address the direspect.

The problem is I have an incredibly insecure manager, who would say I had an attitude even when I didn't say anything!

One day, she moved all of my stuff to a different desk on a Monday morning. I came in and asked my collegue why my stuff got moved. She jumped in and said she changed the structure. I said "Oh OK, that's fine" and I sat down at my desk. She changed the seating structure without informing us beforehand.

Then, she took me into a room and said: "The way you spoke to me that day was rude". I didn't even say anything! I just said" OK, that's fine" and because I wasn't smiling like an idiot, she took it bad. Then I asked other people if they noticed anything and they said: "What are you talking about? We didn't notice that at all".

She had an issue with my own presence! I wouldn't even say anything and she would be bothered.

For instance, when she was trying to force me to work for another market that was not mine to begin with whilst covering my own work and the big project given by my overseas manager, she created issues purposefully. I discussed with my overseas manager whether she thought I could handle an additional market which might have impacted my performance on the special project.
The following day, my manager overseas sent my direct manager an email addressing the issue. My direct manager then called me into a room with her own manager to say: "I don't deserve to be sent such email by your overseas manager after I got back from my holiday. It was unprofessional that you talked about it to your manager overseas".

What was unprofessional? The fact that I addressed an issue which could have seriously impacted a massive project assigned to me by my overseas manager?

So, basically when she would get herself into trouble with my manager abroad, she'd make me liable and involve her management. When I was saying nothing, she'd victimize herself and if I said something, it was a disaster.

I could never win with her. She saw me as her black sheep regardless.

That said, I have an upcoming 1-1 with her before I go and I will speak my truth then.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My husband's small employer was brought by a Fortune 500 company. The new CEO was dreadful - incompetent - no knowledge of the industry - etc. This CEO lost the company millions of dollars each year. No one at the Fortune 500 company cared.

My husband found a new job. He resigned without burning any bridges.

For three years, my husband was happily working at this new company. Then his present employer brought his previous one. His whole department was transferred back to the same location.

Only goes to show, one never knows. You could be working with the same people again.
It could be, it could be not.

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 04-01-2019 at 02:09 PM..

Old 04-01-2019, 02:06 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,550,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
Exit interviews are designed to capture the reasons why you are leaving, and to get a sense of how the department operates, what's working, and what isn't. The exit interview would be the ideal place to outline your grievances. But keep in mind there is as much as art to this as a science. Don't use this as a vent session to bad mouth management or your team. Talk about the things you liked about working there, and if you have a grievance about how something worked, word it in a productive manner. For instance, instead of something like, "Our department manager was lousy and never gave me a chance to get promoted," use something like, "Career advancement and development seemed limited during my time here. I think there is a great opportunity to implement a better program for this". Again, don't use this as a bash session. Word your grievances in a manner than doesn't paint you as someone with an axe to grind. If HR is competent, and management has any incentive to retain employees, then they will take your feedback seriously. I realize there are just some dysfunctional organizations out there, and they won't always use your feedback productively. But at least you did you part by sharing.

Once again, I don't understand the pessimism and distrust that comes across on these forums. Well, I do get it. People who have negative outlooks and like to complain the most tend to post more online than those who would offer any sort of practical, encouraging insights. Some will argue they're "just being realistic", but the world isn't all doom and gloom and full of mistrust and vengeance.
trlolol

you do know that 9/10 or 85% of people hate their jobs world wide right?
Work is like one of life's biggest FUs
You live to work, work to live.
Not everyone ends up in careers they want, heck when you do land a job you want
  • turn 45 boom you want a career change, but can't b/c according to society you should retire in 10-15 years
    Get a masters, hit 30 job pays well but soul sucking hours RIP so much for $100K debt
    Wanna be a iunno video game designer cant stand the contract work "gig lifestyle"

Above is just a small list of life's FUs with regards to work. Venting online is therapeutic for some so go figure. OK I just read your post you sipping the Kool Aid man. Exit interviews are not designed to get feedback. It's nice to say and looks good on paper. Doesn't mean it's true.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:07 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,710,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
I think there's something that clearly is not being understood in my posts.

The company has offices across the world and each office has a separate HR. It is going down the drain worldwide. No one in their right mind would come back to this specific office, where the wage is lower than you average and where the management is utterly toxic.

I may come back to the company overseas, but certainly not in to my current office. This I'm adamant about.

There's plenty of companies out there without having to resort coming back to this mess.

I really don't care that I might burn bridges with this office. At the rate it's going, it might no longer exist in 10 years.
Most multinational companies have a local HR function but the vast majority of the time, all HR functions report back through the chain of command to the head of HR at the company's principal place of business. You're kidding yourself if you think that what you say to HR in a location won't be disseminated to other HR functions (and possibly to other business entities) in the company.

My point, and the point of many other posters, is that you're not just burning bridges in one office. People move within a company(including transfers to international locations) and to different companies. Companies themselves get bought and sold. You never know what the future holds.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:11 PM

780 posts, read 420,971 times
OP, FWIW, I had a co-worker put her resignation a couple weeks ago after being here less than one year. Her premature departure was largely due to being treated poorly by fellow co-workers whom she supported and worked with. Our manager was well aware of these issues and has indicated a number of times that she's tried to address the problem employees on her team. She told my departing co-worker to tell HR everything in the exit interview. I believe that my manager is looking for HR to help her with this situation, and she needs things to be documented.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, exit interviews can be useful to effective and proactive HR teams if you are tactful about it. Don't use it as an opportunity to bash anyone and anything. Use it to productively explain opportunities for improvement. Just be smart about it. An HR team that is adept at doing their jobs will be able to read between the lines and use your information productively.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:17 PM

780 posts, read 420,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
trlolol

you do know that 9/10 or 85% of people hate their jobs world wide right?
Work is like one of life's biggest FUs
You live to work, work to live.
Not everyone ends up in careers they want, heck when you do land a job you want
  • turn 45 boom you want a career change, but can't b/c according to society you should retire in 10-15 years
    Get a masters, hit 30 job pays well but soul sucking hours RIP so much for $100K debt
    Wanna be a iunno video game designer cant stand the contract work "gig lifestyle"

Above is just a small list of life's FUs with regards to work. Venting online is therapeutic for some so go figure. OK I just read your post you sipping the Kool Aid man. Exit interviews are not designed to get feedback. It's nice to say and looks good on paper. Doesn't mean it's true.
Sure, venting online can be therapeutic. But I've been following this forum off and on for 10 years, and let's just say that the posters venting 5-10 years ago are the same posters venting today. So, therapeutic or not, most people venting here have seemingly done very little to actually make their lives any better off. So back to my point. Most people who spend lots of time venting on forums are negative, pessimistic people to begin with. So no matter what positive or encouraging feedback you share with the community, you're going to get shouted over anyway by all the other 'venters who are seeking therapy'. They call that an echo chamber.

I'm not drinking any kool aid, as I've got plenty of grievances about places I've worked. And I've even shared some during exit interviews without having my entire career upended. Imagine that.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:19 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,335,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
It could be, it could be not.

That said, I'm fairly adamant, none of these people will ever manage me again.
This obsession of yours is unhealthy. You are being foolish to think, that you have a full and complete contingent analysis that you think you can attempt to destroy the careers of others without any sort of backlash. I have read through your postings in this thread and you have grossly overstated your importance to the organization and totally inflated any well wishes or polite comments by others in the work place as high praise for your talents and contribution on your exit. You are delusional in thinking your actions are going to have any impact on those you despise at your former company. All any of this is going to do, is hurt yourself, because you aren't thinking clearly about this. The results of your action are going to be unfulfilling and leaving you feeling empty and unsatisfied. It will continue to distract you from your new job. You really want to hurt those people, do great in your new job and send them New Year's cards bragging about your accomplishments if that is your style. As for having a healthy attitude, I'd add a negative review of them on Glassdoor and then I wouldn't give them a second thought and focus on the new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment