Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 03:27 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,240,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Don't overstate your importance to yourself when leaving. Companies are use to losing employees, clients, market share, money, etc. They get over it very quickly. While you might be a top performer, that doesn't mean the company considered your contributions highly valuable. Only they know what their top concerns of the day are, and they could have very little to do with you.
This is an excellent point... “value” brought to the table. This should be what you focus on primarily. However, Usually on annual reviews your ranking in this is masked from view outside of management. So while you can appear to be an A player on all the points you get scored on, behind the scenes management may feel you aren’t bringing much value to the organization, and you may find your pay not keeping up with the cost of living. So- you can either leave and take your “stellar” reviews with you, or ask to do something else within the company where you contribute value. Whatever you do, don’t take it out on the HR dingbat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 07:58 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Don't tell them ANYTHING at the exit interview. It's all "It's been wonderful working here, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity for advancement that the new job provides me with." That's all you EVER say in an exit interview!

Corporate America is a pyramid scheme of sociopaths. You wanna work in it? Play the game. NEVER burn your bridges. You never know, this woman could wind up taking a job at a company that you work for, and be your supervisor again in the future!

Old 04-02-2019, 08:03 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Hi all,

Do you reckon I should advise HR of her ways in a diplomatic manner? Or should I address those with her?
No and no.

The only party that benefits from an exit interview is HR. You never benefit and neither will your teammates. You aren't "getting back" at your boss if you slam her in the exit interview; you're only shooting yourself in the foot by giving HR gossip that they can attribute to YOU.

I've never been required to attend an exit interview in Texas; they are always optional. If they don't e-mail me information I need for separation, I go to the exit interview long enough to get this information. I do not share anything with them and neither should you.

Forget your boss and move on.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:36 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,739,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Don't tell them ANYTHING at the exit interview. It's all "It's been wonderful working here, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity for advancement that the new job provides me with." That's all you EVER say in an exit interview!

Corporate America is a pyramid scheme of sociopaths. You wanna work in it? Play the game. NEVER burn your bridges. You never know, this woman could wind up taking a job at a company that you work for, and be your supervisor again in the future!

But how about people spin the scenario around for a second ... she's the one burning bridges with her behavior.

We're all looking at the scenario as if I'm going to stay at the same level forever, thus will always have a lower position than hers.

What if we wind up indeed working together again and I end up in a higher position than hers?

After all, she only has 2 years management experience is around my age. I could easily progress faster than she does, in which case, I won't forget what she did to me for sure.

My new position gives me the same title she currently has, so no looking back there.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
This obsession of yours is unhealthy. You are being foolish to think, that you have a full and complete contingent analysis that you think you can attempt to destroy the careers of others without any sort of backlash. I have read through your postings in this thread and you have grossly overstated your importance to the organization and totally inflated any well wishes or polite comments by others in the work place as high praise for your talents and contribution on your exit. You are delusional in thinking your actions are going to have any impact on those you despise at your former company. All any of this is going to do, is hurt yourself, because you aren't thinking clearly about this. The results of your action are going to be unfulfilling and leaving you feeling empty and unsatisfied. It will continue to distract you from your new job. You really want to hurt those people, do great in your new job and send them New Year's cards bragging about your accomplishments if that is your style. As for having a healthy attitude, I'd add a negative review of them on Glassdoor and then I wouldn't give them a second thought and focus on the new job.
The point is not to destroy her career, but to address the internal issues within this department.

I was bullied, so she put this on herself.

These 2 separate things.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:47 AM

346 posts, read 550,415 times
The issues of that department should no longer be your concern the moment that you gave your notice. I echo everyone else when I say that you should move on, but it sound like you're fully intent to one-up your previous Manager regardless of the advice being given.

Good luck with that.

Quote:
The point is not to destroy her career, but to address the internal issues within this department.

I was bullied, so she put this on herself.

These 2 separate things.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
The issues of that department should no longer be your concern the moment that you gave your notice. I echo everyone else when I say that you should move on, but it sound like you're fully intent to one-up your previous Manager regardless of the advice being given.

Good luck with that.

Did I say I'm going to say anything to HR?

As far as I can see, I sought advice, but never expressly said I will indeed discuss with HR.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:58 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
This obsession of yours is unhealthy. You are being foolish to think, that you have a full and complete contingent analysis that you think you can attempt to destroy the careers of others without any sort of backlash. I have read through your postings in this thread and you have grossly overstated your importance to the organization and totally inflated any well wishes or polite comments by others in the work place as high praise for your talents and contribution on your exit. You are delusional in thinking your actions are going to have any impact on those you despise at your former company. All any of this is going to do, is hurt yourself, because you aren't thinking clearly about this. The results of your action are going to be unfulfilling and leaving you feeling empty and unsatisfied. It will continue to distract you from your new job. You really want to hurt those people, do great in your new job and send them New Year's cards bragging about your accomplishments if that is your style. As for having a healthy attitude, I'd add a negative review of them on Glassdoor and then I wouldn't give them a second thought and focus on the new job.
Thissssssssss.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Thissssssssss.
Where did I inflate?

Because I said I got positive reviews?

I have specific emails sent by directors/heads addressed to my managers (middle-management) saying: "Feedback about (name)". I was getting emails like these almost on a monthly basis from various directors across different departments.

These feedbacks had actually detailed information/paragrpahs.

So, these are not simple emails thanking me for my work or giving me a pat on the shoulder for a "good job, well done".

I can distinguish a simple "Thank you for your help, good job" from an actual review that is neither sought by myself, nor related to any performance review as I'm not even reporting to the people who gave me such feedback.

So if you think I grossely overstated my performance, then so be it. I don't think I have anything to prove to anyone on this forum. Perhaps if you spent less time discrediting people for their success and more time focusing on yourself, you'd be doing pretty well too.

Regardless, these feedbacks are now irrelevant as I am leaving. I'll keep them as a personal memory I can fondly look back on, but that's pretty much where it ends.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:52 AM

346 posts, read 550,415 times
You asked if you should air dirty laundries about your ex-Manager at the HR exit interview. Everyone says no from the very start. The fact that you kept this thing going for 8 pages seems to indicate that you want to ignore that advice and trying to rationalize a made decision to air those laundries. It's kind of like talking to a know-it-all teenager or... *gasps!* a terrible co-worker... who pretends to ask for advice but is really trying to find someone to agree with their awful decision so that they can muster the courage to do it.

So no, I guess you didn't specifically say that you would but your replies seem to indicate otherwise. But hey, do whatever you want. Good luck.

Quote:
Did I say I'm going to say anything to HR?

As far as I can see, I sought advice, but never expressly said I will indeed discuss with HR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment