Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 08:52 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Because it often doesn't do any good. Abusive/toxic management is endlessly tolerated if the store is profitable.

In my example, it's the Denny's that you reach after 15 miles of Highway 17 to Santa Cruz. It's the first place to stop, it's convenient to reach, and it's going to catch a huge percentage of traffic with hungry kids etc.

The manager was someone who should have been locked up.

We stormed out and headed back up 17 to Scott's Valley, where we had the choice of a small, slightly grimy looking Mom'n'Pop... or another Denny's. We chose the latter. It was clean and quiet and the older man who waited on us was exceptional, so I told him how we'd gotten there. He sank into a chair opposite us and laughed until he had to wipe his eyes, then told us the story. The Santa Cruz store was something like #3,400 out of 3.400 stores in ratings... and the second or third most profitable store in the chain. It caught nearly every first-time visitor coming in to town... not a one who ever came back, but it didn't matter.

Toxic management was allowed to reign.
I wish I could place that Denny's. I must have gone over 17 a million times when I lived in San Jose, but I just can't recall it. Do you remember the Alma heliport just across from Bear Creek Rd? My friends rented the pasture below the heliport for decades and kept their horses there. Now I understand they've built houses there. *sigh*

Still, you'd think word would get around and no one would want to work in a place like that. I know when I was looking for work in 2008, Teletech constantly had signs out saying they were hiring. I had no less than three people tell me (who didn't know each other) to never apply for a job there. It was a call center for Sprint and I did eventually end up working there for a couple months and found out quickly why I was warned against applying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 10:09 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,538 times
nope still eat at McDonald's and shop at Walmart and Target

Old 04-01-2019, 10:20 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I wish I could place that Denny's.
I'm not super-familiar with SC or Highway 17; drove it a few times in stretch of a few years. The restaurant was just off the highway, just as you could see the town for the first time. It was perhaps five miles from the Scotts Valley exit.

If it imploded and was sucked down into the ground, Carrie-style, it would both explain why you can't recall it and please me greatly.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:37 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
No, but I would!
this

I haven't personally witnessed it, but it would absolutely affect my opinion of a business and my choice on whether or not to continue to patronize that establishment.

And it goes the other way too - before I moved, I used to go to one supermarket over another in part because they had so many of the same people working there for years and years, including people with disabilities such as Down Syndrome. It was a little more expensive than the other store that was also nearby but I didn't mind supporting it because it was so well run (visible to me as a customer) and because they clearly valued their employees.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:39 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Not one dime will be profited from my pocket for a particular market in my area. The business ethics (if such even exist!) Has confirmed that my nickel donation isn't going to turn them around. It's how they manage their staff that is the biggest gripe.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:43 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I'm not super-familiar with SC or Highway 17; drove it a few times in stretch of a few years. The restaurant was just off the highway, just as you could see the town for the first time. It was perhaps five miles from the Scotts Valley exit.

If it imploded and was sucked down into the ground, Carrie-style, it would both explain why you can't recall it and please me greatly.
Carrie-style. LOL Well, I probably missed seeing it because I was too busy yelling at the cowbells that couldn't drive the curves on that road and used both lanes at the same time all the way over the hill.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:00 PM

74 posts, read 55,302 times
It hasn't happened often to me, possibly because we generally patronize locally owned restaurants as opposed to chains, but even in a local independent business, I've encountered management behaving appallingly toward their staff. And every time it has happened, I have walked out and never returned. Life is too short, and there are too many ethical business owners out there, to waste my time and money patronizing someone who treats their staff like dirt.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:58 AM

577 posts, read 494,494 times
Maybe I am the odd duck out, but I try to go on line and give a review about any service that I get that I find noteworthy ….pro or con.

As stated already, I think calling or emailing corporate will probably just end up with the email or sticky note being tossed in the trash. Much easier for the person getting the complaint to do, than actually working on the issue presented to them.

But a review done on Yelp or any other will be there for years. And I think the good reviews help a good business to prosper.

And the bad reviews as they pile up on a company over time, someone "should" be taking notice that owns the low star rated company and start working on changing, what people are writing about them

Because I am just one of the people out here that will not be using their service, when I see a downward trend of legitimate bad reviews.

But one does have to use their good judgement and gauge the merit of the reviews. Because there are trolls and just plain angry people just flame throwing their ilk around, while posting a review. JMO

Old 04-02-2019, 08:41 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdaybyday View Post
For the past several months, I've been eating breakfast on Saturdays at a certain popular chain restaurant...
I would never eat at a popular chain restaurant.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:33 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,182 times
Default Funny you said that

I eat breakfast several times each week at a restaurant that recently was renovated with a wood burning oven for pizzas and a better floor covering in the dining area, and, oh yeah, a complete new wait staff. Some of the waitresses had been there for years but, I guess lookin' a little long in the tooth. Not right but in time with the times.

Am I right in saying, that too long on any one job is a black mark on your resume?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment