Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 02:36 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times

Advertisements

Good management, will tell the one doing the threatening, that their resignation is accepted, and let them go immediately.

When employees start threatening management, management should always get rid of them at that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 02:37 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
I have had one or two employees over the years try this. I have always told them to stop by HR for details on final check, COBRA coverage, etc.

I also let them rescind their threat if they do so immediately, but if they go home for the night without backing down, I would have accepted their resignation.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:11 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
It's an incredibly self-destructive tactic that will catch up with them.

I would never, ever "threaten" to quit. After I've laid out what the problems are and how they can be fixed, if the problem persists I find a new job, and then I quit. I do not accept counters... if money was the problem, I already asked for more and was told no. If money wasn't the problem, how would more help me to cope with a bad workplace?

Old 04-02-2019, 03:20 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Really depends on what the OP means by threaten to quite. Could have been a casual "I can't work with that person", which is being interpreted as a threat to quit. If it were more of a real threat my next question is what exactly did management do? Lastly, I would ask if it is the same person that these people threatened to quite over. If it is one person, that needs to be explored too. And even more lastly, did the employee who threatened to quit exhibit any other odd behavior?

Old 04-02-2019, 04:46 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Let them quit. Not a fan of threats or ultimatums.
Interesting. Since that is the very tactic so accepted by management....threaten the staff if they don't fall in line.

I don't care for threats either...I leave.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:47 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post

The difference in our situation?
* We had data and evidence to back up our accusations, not just gossipy complaints
* We stated our information in a mature way - not with threats but with genuine frustration and weariness
* We let them know that we were so unhappy by the inequity that we were willing to walk away - we just wanted equity in the workplace for all admins
* It was ALL of us explaining a shared experience with useless admin

ETA - one of those admins STILL works for this company (she's been there over 25 years at this point) and is highly regarded for her professionalism and quality of work. The other two have long since married, had kids and moved to new cities. I worked there another 3-4 years after useless admin left, and then left for a job that cut my commute in half so I could be closer to my own kids. When I left, they told me I was always welcome to come back if I decided I wanted to return.
Well, I guess there's always the exception. Based on your description of the situation, I can't blame y'all for addressing it in the way that you did.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:53 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Really depends on what the OP means by threaten to quite. Could have been a casual "I can't work with that person", which is being interpreted as a threat to quit. If it were more of a real threat my next question is what exactly did management do? Lastly, I would ask if it is the same person that these people threatened to quite over. If it is one person, that needs to be explored too. And even more lastly, did the employee who threatened to quit exhibit any other odd behavior?
This is all second-hand for me, from two different supervisors. Both said that the employees indicated they were ready to put in their two-week notice if they had to continue to work with these other employees. In all three cases, our bosses tried to accommodate the employees who wanted to quit. In one case that meant giving the employee permission to complete all of their work in an office away from everyone else, and in another there were schedule changes made so that the two employees would not cross paths. It wasn't the same employee who was complained about, but two different employees. From working with them, I can definitely say that all three of these employees who complained had been unhappy for awhile. I wouldn't say there was any "odd" behavior, just not being happy with the job and possibly burnt out. Anyway, I guess you meant your post in a more general sense, and I do think those would be good questions to ask if you're the boss being faced with this situation. I hope I'm never a branch manager, tbh.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:42 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,786 times
If you don't do what I want, I'm taking my football and going home. That's what is sounds like to me.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:57 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
I told my employer that if they didn't change things I would be looking for new employment. This was after repeatedly bringing issues to their attention and nothing changing.

They wanted me to continue working with and get along with someone who completely made up a story about me (I'm not the only one) that was a total lie and outside in the real world, that person would be arrested for filing a false report. One could absolutely verify that the story she told was a lie (and by story, I mean the one she changed three times) and she had no repercussions for this. The environment we work in is one in which we all share work so there is no "my work" and "your work" so it's always going to be an issue.

This person has gotten into fights with everyone. And she goes below the belt and bullies. But that's okay, apparently. She sucks at her job too and is dangerous. Yay for caring about patient safety and care.

Anyway, I'm on my way out. One of the bosses asked me if I would reconsider and stay. I laughed.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Interesting. Since that is the very tactic so accepted by management....threaten the staff if they don't fall in line.

I don't care for threats either...I leave.
No one on either side has to accept behavior that crosses their personal boundaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment