Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 11:43 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,334,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I don't think you over-reacted necessarily... I think it just went too far. Fun is fun, but talking about a guy's girlfriend has always been fightin' words. You were right to draw some battle lines. I wouldn't go out of my way to say more about it. Just let it go and be friendly in the days to come. My guess is, it will pass if you let it.
Maybe the OP could whip up a batch of brownies to bring into work so there is no hard feelings too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
So let me get this straight, it was OK with you when he made disparaging comments about OTHER women? And you're upset about his racist generalizations, but not about his sexist ones? Who's the douche bag again?
Of course. It is OK to talk trash about others, provided it isn't about you.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by americana89 View Post
I work for a very large IT company, I'm in a team of about 15 people that come from varying demographics. but predominantly male. There's about 4 of us who are in our late 20's who naturally get along due to common interests and there's a lot of joking and sh*t talking back and forth which is fine, we tend to push the boundaries with what we say but it's always good natured and never gets too personal (well at least I thought so). There's one guy in my team who
I have a long history of working in IT and software. Your ages has nothing to do with it. You act like it is fun, but what it does is it creates a negative and cynical atmosphere because instead of witty banter it has quickly degraded to criticisms. Criticisms of each other and everyone and everything else, instead of enlightening conversations. I have avoided people like this, because they turn out to be not very bright. I make an effort to surround myself with intelligent people and that's far more fun than this childish behavior. You should give it a try, because you aren't going to benefit from it much better than being buds with a bunch of low-lifes.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:50 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,422,700 times
Professional people have no interest in drama at work. You are going to build a reputation for yourself that will not be positive. If the guy spouts off again - make yourself higher than that and ignore it from now on. Grow up and refuse to be involved in work pettiness. If you are bored and have a need for excitement, pretend you are acting in a movie and play the role of a high earning corporate climber. Build your drama that way.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:13 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,627,737 times
OP reacted perfectly fine. The bodybuilder Rob sounds like an emotionally insensitive person. You don't make fun of someone in a person's life, especially if that person (OP) is sitting right there and can hear it.

What if Rob made fun of OP's mom?

Old 04-17-2019, 02:23 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,146,872 times
Yes, I think you are overreacting.

Ok--you are in your 20s, but you have a lot of years of work ahead of you. The one thing I learned extremely quickly is have a thick skin. If you don't have one--get one. And I say this after having worked with all types. You just cannot take stuff personally--it will make you (and your girlfriend) crazy.

Your co-worker sounds immature, insecure and obnoxious. Why do you care what someone like that thinks? Just ignore these people--let it roll off, or you are going to be dealing with petty BS forever.

They are coworkers--just act professionally, let them act like bozos, and you'll be fine. I'm sure others have his number too. Obnoxious coworkers are a headache and pain, but don't get pulled into their crap--it will never end. Keep the big picture in mind and don't sweat the small people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment