Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 05:53 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,882,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
You're thinking of Automation, not Artificial Intelligence (AI,) which, BTW, your article never mentions. They may share some basic similarities, but they are not the same.

Automation may be designed to replace jobs, but if used correctly, AI can indeed increase human workers' productivity and value without risking their employment.
AI and automation may as well be synonymous.

AI can enable more functions to be semi-autonomous with minimal human guidance, effort or intervention
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 07:50 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/03/ibm-...will-quit.html

I think this will also be used to find people to let go. After all, all else being equal, you'll want to retain the one who isn't intendingvon leaving. No more getting fired just for looking for another job: any signs that you want to leave and you could be out the door.
I wonder what the default is. We had a machine learning competition like this for our national conference last year that I won. The default for the company was actually 82.1% stayed. So if you just said everyone would stay you were 82.1% accurate. We used ROC AUC as the metric, which is an ordering of the probability where a 50% ROC AUC had an ordered probability that had no order (i.e. those that didn't term had probabilities of terming similar to those that did term). A 1 is perfect. I won with an .84 ROC AUC. But even then my actual accuracy was only 85%, so a delta on the baseline of just 3%.

As far as flight risk models go specifically (i.e. only caring about people that are about to term, not trying to predict it historically) there's actually some pretty good data out there on things as simple as Linkedin changes/updates. If you update your LinkedIn you're more likely to be considering leaving. Sometimes there are tells in your work product to if it's being tracked well enough. I had a buddy that built a flight risk model for financial advisors at a firm he worked for and he was insanely accurate because all the FAs that were leaving stopped scheduling meetings with clients and typically had 1-2 months of very low earnings compared to their historical averages. It turned out they were waiting to schedule appointments with their clients until they jumped ship and wanted to kick the new gig off right with some good months.

I could see IBM having a 90% baseline (i.e. in any given 3 year timeframe only 10% of employees term), so all they need to do is beat that by 5%. Not quite as mindblowing as the headline makes it out to be honestly.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:13 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
You're thinking of Automation, not Artificial Intelligence (AI,) which, BTW, your article never mentions. They may share some basic similarities, but they are not the same.
The similarity they share is devaluing work and workers.

There are two types of technology:
* designed to make people more productive so they become more valuable
* designed to replace people and make them worthless.

AI is the second type.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:35 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
AI and automation may as well be synonymous.
Yes. Just as cruise control and autonomous vehicles are the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment