Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 02:17 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,652,233 times

Advertisements

I think freelancing is about your only choice. That's not terrible.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:46 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,456,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Your challenge is that you need to be able to really explain why you aren't a potential threat, and that you're going to be at the very least just as good as all of the applicants who don't have a criminal history. That's the pitch you need to be working on.
Yes, but do you think if an employer does a background check and finds out that this man has a conviction of stalking that they're even going to give him a chance to tell his side of the story? I think what's more likely to happen, unfortunately, is that they'll just pass him by and move on to one of the many applicants that don't have any convictions on their records.

It's just like if a company was checking with your previous employers and found an inconsistency in the information you provided them on your resume or application. Suppose you told a potential employer that you resigned a previous job, and then when that employer calls HR at your previous employer, they are told that you were fired (or that you quit before being fired). Do you think that the company you applied to is really going to take the time to call you up and ask for an explanation? No, more likely they'll just see you as dishonest and stop the hiring process right there.

Were you suggesting that the OP preemptively brings up his issue regarding stalking during the interview, so that it doesn't come as a surprise to the potential employer once they run a background check?

Old 04-04-2019, 02:47 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,940,110 times
Remove all Federal and State positions from your list, you ain't getting in. Once the LiveScan hit your record, your application would get tossed immediately.

Most private firms, unfortunately for you, also do pretty deep background checks. Most HR managers would throw away your applications just because of the liability on their end (I know I would).

So your only real options are to get lucky free lancing (ultra competitive now days), or you could work a more blue collar job (like at a junk yard, painting houses, pouring cement foundations, lawn care, etc) where background checks are minimal to non-existent (which is why a lot of illegal aliens work in those jobs).

Stalking/Harassment on your record is a definite career killer.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:16 PM

45 posts, read 29,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Remove all Federal and State positions from your list, you ain't getting in. Once the LiveScan hit your record, your application would get tossed immediately.

Most private firms, unfortunately for you, also do pretty deep background checks. Most HR managers would throw away your applications just because of the liability on their end (I know I would).

So your only real options are to get lucky free lancing (ultra competitive now days), or you could work a more blue collar job (like at a junk yard, painting houses, pouring cement foundations, lawn care, etc) where background checks are minimal to non-existent (which is why a lot of illegal aliens work in those jobs).

Stalking/Harassment on your record is a definite career killer.
Keep in mind these are only misdemeanor convictions. However, I cannot have them sealed until 10 years after the conviction. I made the stupid mistake of pleading no contest, per my attorney's advice.

I am told I am very intelligent. I am skilled in a multitude of different programming languages and technologies.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeking2bHappy View Post
Keep in mind these are only misdemeanor convictions. However, I cannot have them sealed until 10 years after the conviction. I made the stupid mistake of pleading no contest, per my attorney's advice.

I am told I am very intelligent. I am skilled in a multitude of different programming languages and technologies.
I think that actually is a field that would fit your personality type.

But, I have to say, and I say this with all sympathy, after reading your story thread that you posted, you really need to get some help man. Whether that is weekly state subsidized therapy, or something else, your behavior in that thread was abnormal, and I can see why the girl's father called the police on you.

If you're past that type of behavior, and it wasn't some weird impulse control issue, then I think you could possibly make good money as a contractor who does free lance work for various technology firms.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:17 PM

13,254 posts, read 8,332,154 times
Become a detective. Your record can be your validation of the skill to perservere. Let's face it ..you paid your price in recovering..and you can still turn a learning thru mistakes into an asset.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I think that actually is a field that would fit your personality type.

But, I have to say, and I say this with all sympathy, after reading your story thread that you posted, you really need to get some help man. Whether that is weekly state subsidized therapy, or something else, your behavior in that thread was abnormal, and I can see why the girl's father called the police on you.

If you're past that type of behavior, and it wasn't some weird impulse control issue, then I think you could possibly make good money as a contractor who does free lance work for various technology firms.
I never threatened violence against her or comitted any violence against her.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeking2bHappy View Post
I never threatened violence against her or comitted any violence against her.
Sure, but honestly, do you think that matters?

At some point you have to call it in, and pursue other game. Don't drive to some girl's parents home.

Do you think in hindsight what you did was possibly a mistake?

Old 04-04-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Sure, but honestly, do you think that matters?

At some point you have to call it in, and pursue other game. Don't drive to some girl's parents home.

Do you think in hindsight what you did was possibly a mistake?
Now that I am OLDER and looking back on it, yes I made a mistake. Although, back then, I was developmentally delayed in maturity, hence the reason why I have an Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

Although I made mistakes, I can also say I meant no harm to her or anyone. I know deep down inside I am not a terrible person.

I feel this matter should have been approached differently back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment