Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 08:19 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times

Advertisements

“Make America great again”

America is “great” for the already wealthy. That’s about it

No doubt we are heading in for another 2008-like recession. Unchecked greed at the top and lack of accountability continues to sweep America into the dust bin of history
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 08:21 AM

780 posts, read 425,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Yes, and any reason for doom and gloom is a source of news for those who thrive on trying to point out how bad things are constantly even when they are not. I get e-mail almost every day from recruiters, I guess they have not heard this bad news too. Many companies are offering referral bonuses if you can recommend someone for a job there. I guess they have not heard of this bad news either.
I also don't understand all the doom and gloom on this forum. I understand that things are never going to be perfect. Hell, they may feel disastrous in your life in particular. Things can be generally good even if they may not be so good for someone at this moment. Perpetuating doom and gloom has never resulted in anything positive; it serves only to perpetuate more doom and gloom. I'm not saying that you can snap your fingers and positive-think your way out of a bad situation, but a positive mindset is vastly superior to a negative mindset in overcoming adversity.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:40 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Fed rate hikes are killing growth. The Federal Reserve should cut interest rates by 0.5% to boost the economy and jobs.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...p-trolls-powel
Quote:
Even so, Kudlow is advocating for policymakers to cut interest rates. “If I had my druthers, I'd love to see him [Powell] take back 50 basis points,” he said. Kudlow also noted he was misquoted Opens a New Window. last week during an interview in which he reportedly called for a rate cut “immediately,” adding, “I never did. It was an incorrect report.”

During the Fed’s March Opens a New Window. meeting, policy makers signaled there would likely be few-to-no rate hikes in 2019, a major pivot from their hawkish position late last year.

Conservative economist Stephen Moore, Trump’s newest Fed board nominee, is calling on the Fed to go a step further. “I would look very carefully at repealing the rate increase that happened in December,” he said during an interview on FOX Business. Additionally on Thursday, reports surfaced that former pizza CEO Hermain Cain Opens a New Window. is also set to join Moore as one of Trump's Fed nominees.l

Old 04-05-2019, 09:21 AM

607 posts, read 977,752 times
The economy slowed down several months ago, going back to the holiday season. People have been 3 months past due on car loan payments. Hiring has slowed. New home sales slowed but I think that picked up again a month or two ago.

I wouldn't say we are in a crash, but it slowed. The economy will never be bursting at the seams of greatness every day of every year. There are going to be periods of slow growth, fast expansion, etc. No inflation is good news.

By the summer the economy could gain strength again or continue to slow.

When truckers complain business has gotten slower is when you know there is an economic slowdown.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:13 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveurdream View Post

When truckers complain business has gotten slower is when you know there is an economic slowdown.

Truckers are complaining about soft demand.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trucker...ns-11554485304
Truckers Cut Payrolls As Freight Demand Softens
Hiring in broader logistics slows as red-hot growth pace of 2018 cools down

Trucking companies pulled back from hiring in March as freight demand softened and job growth across the logistics sector slowed.

Carriers cut payrolls by 1,200 jobs last month, according to preliminary figures the Labor Department reported Friday, halting a nearly yearlong expansion amid signs a hot streak that boosted transportation companies’ profits in 2018 is cooling.

Trucking company Covenant Transportation Group Inc. last month lowered its first-quarter profit forecast, citing weaker than expected freight volumes from late January through mid-March.

“We attribute the softer demand to factors such as late 2018 inventory growth in advance of the perceived impact of tariffs, the effects of the partial government shutdown on spending and extended periods of inclement weather,” the company said in a statement.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:19 PM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
Here in Seattle I do food catering and serving on weekends. Last year you could name your desired work place and hours. This spring, Nothing going on. Employees are jumping at whatever they can get and Seattle is still one of the biggest growth cities around. This is my indication that everyone is holding back on expenses.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:38 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
I understand that things are never going to be perfect.
No one is talking about things being "perfect". That's a red herring typically raised in discussions like this to try to distract attention away from what people are actually saying, because there isn't a legitimate rebuttal to what they are actually saying.

What this is about is how things were better and now they're worse.

Better; worse.

Again, no one is talking about "perfect".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
I'm not saying that you can snap your fingers and positive-think your way out of a bad situation, but a positive mindset is vastly superior to a negative mindset in overcoming adversity.
That may be the case for an individual in the situation, but what makes you think you're conversing solely with such people? I'm months from retirement, and I suspect some others in this thread are already retired. It isn't about getting the next job for us, but rather concern about the world-slash-labor/employment marketplace that we're leaving for the young ones in our family.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:59 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
No one is talking about things being "perfect". That's a red herring typically raised in discussions like this to try to distract attention away from what people are actually saying, because there isn't a legitimate rebuttal to what they are actually saying.

What this is about is how things were better and now they're worse.

Better; worse.

Again, no one is talking about "perfect".

That may be the case for an individual in the situation, but what makes you think you're conversing solely with such people? I'm months from retirement, and I suspect some others in this thread are already retired. It isn't about getting the next job for us, but rather concern about the world-slash-labor/employment marketplace that we're leaving for the young ones in our family.
Agree. I am retired and have the same concerns. As bUU says it used to be better and now it is worse. What is so hard to understand about that? Yet somehow when someone points that out it is labeled as a complaint or a "doom and gloom" outlook. It is what it is.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:37 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's a good time to be paid and let go. Plenty of job opportunities.
Only if you have experience, and are under age 40. If neither, game over.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:24 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Only if you have experience, and are under age 40. If neither, game over.
Some even say age 35 now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment