Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 02:51 PM

669 posts, read 581,684 times

Advertisements

I have never worked where we had Monday Holidays....spring breaks....two week Christmas breaks or the summer off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 03:08 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,370,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
I have never worked where we had Monday Holidays....spring breaks....two week Christmas breaks or the summer off.
So?

Old 04-05-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsleep View Post
That is very common in higher ed. I worked at a public university that had not given faculty raises in the last 10 years. If you teach at a public institution in a red state this is just the new normal. Even if their wages are stagnant, most tenured professors would find it impossible to get a better salary in the private sector.
10 years, wow! That certainly isn't anything they tell college students when they encourage them to look for a professorship. I can't imagine morale is very good at a place like that.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's time people stop using tenure as expectation for a raise. You leave and get your own raise. Companies are not required to give them, they do when pressured.
Easier said than done. Not everything worked in academia is directly transferrable to the private sector.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:12 PM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remsleep View Post
That is very common in higher ed. I worked at a public university that had not given faculty raises in the last 10 years. If you teach at a public institution in a red state this is just the new normal. Even if their wages are stagnant, most tenured professors would find it impossible to get a better salary in the private sector.
Not just higher ed.

//www.city-data.com/forum/54866282-post9.html

Short course if you don't want to follow the link:

Last 11 years before retirement cumulative COLAs of 2.5%. Was taking home less at year 31 than year 20. During that time of teachers and nonexempt employees getting 2.5% the administrators from school based up through Superintendents received their yearly raises, both step and COLA, as well as bonuses.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:54 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
Quote:
I am not sure what a “Monday Holiday” is. Faculty jobs in higher ed are similar to teacher jobs in K12, where they do have this fixed times off, but they also do not get flexible vacation time. They are also expected to revise curriculum constantly, which tends to happen during breaks, as well as publish in their field, which again often happens during breaks.

As a non-academic employee I do not get spring break, Christmas break or summers off, instead I have typical vacation time.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:30 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:
Where do you get this idea? The professors I know work during those breaks. They are expected to bring in several times their pay in funding. When th hey agent teaching they are developing proposals and funded research. 8

Old 04-05-2019, 06:32 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,224,566 times
That should be number 99 on this list.

https://100rsns.blogspot.com/

Old 04-05-2019, 06:39 PM

669 posts, read 581,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Where do you get this idea? The professors I know work during those breaks. They are expected to bring in several times their pay in funding. When th hey agent teaching they are developing proposals and funded research. 8
I stand corrected.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:01 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
I have a friend of a friend who is a tenured college professor. He was complaining to us at lunch that he has not gotten a raise in six years. Not even cost of living. His gross pay is exactly what it was six years ago he said. Is this normal in academia? Man, so much for chasing a tenured job. Meanwhile college tuition costs have been going up, but no raise for this guy.

I know nothing about working in academia and teaching, but it seems to me if you have not gotten a raise in six years, they aren't interested in keeping you there at all. Or is this just something those who teach in college have to put up with? They have such a huge pool of talent to select from so the colleges don't care?

No company would do this and expect employees to stay there. I guess with a college, they have few options. It isn't like there are thousands of colleges in a single town for you to find a job elsewhere like in other industries.
That's exactly why they're not getting raises.

I think "tenure" in general is not a coveted designation across the board. It means next to nothing (or doesn't exist) at some schools, whereas in others it may grant distinct benefits, pay, and esteem in others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment