Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 07:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
The only thing concerning me is my fear of elevators and this job is on the 47th floor!!!
My guess is unless it's a crippling fear of elevators, you would get over it quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 09:22 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
I've found for experienced roles in NYC for a niche or specialized skillset within a broader in-demand field (anything more than 5 years exp) that it helps to be last or even not apply the 1st go around that they advertise the role. For some companies you should wait for the 1st posting to expire and they re-post. My current job they advertised interviewed 10 people, declined to hire then re-posted a few months later which is when their internal recruiter picked me up. Their expectations were a lot more realistic in the 2nd go around from what I heard.

Many employers have an arbitrary number of people they need to interview and even if you're qualified, a great fit etc. Often times the timing matters. Somewhere in the middle or last is probably better than first for more experienced hires. Get them while they have seen everyone else and can confidently say (after often interviewing for MONTHS on end...) that you are the BEST the market has to offer. If you're the first - Even if the 10 after you are completely unqualified, you'll just get lost in the shuffle.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:16 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
My guess is unless it's a crippling fear of elevators, you would get over it quickly.
Lol I would still accept the job but they scare me ha. Not so bad if someone else is in it with me

Old 04-12-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I've found for experienced roles in NYC for a niche or specialized skillset within a broader in-demand field (anything more than 5 years exp) that it helps to be last or even not apply the 1st go around that they advertise the role. For some companies you should wait for the 1st posting to expire and they re-post. My current job they advertised interviewed 10 people, declined to hire then re-posted a few months later which is when their internal recruiter picked me up. Their expectations were a lot more realistic in the 2nd go around from what I heard.

Many employers have an arbitrary number of people they need to interview and even if you're qualified, a great fit etc. Often times the timing matters. Somewhere in the middle or last is probably better than first for more experienced hires. Get them while they have seen everyone else and can confidently say (after often interviewing for MONTHS on end...) that you are the BEST the market has to offer. If you're the first - Even if the 10 after you are completely unqualified, you'll just get lost in the shuffle.
This role was kind of like that. They posted it before and got underwhelming people so they tweaked the job description and re-posted and here I am. I am the first to get interviewed.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:09 PM

The other downside of being first is the wait is longer to find out what the next steps will be.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:16 PM

1,065 posts, read 622,806 times
What motivates an employer to move faster on a candidate is when they fear that might lose someone. If they they are not worried about potentially losing you to another employer, they will allow the process to play out on their own timing. It is always best to let them know that you are interested in the role, but have other options as well.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
What motivates an employer to move faster on a candidate is when they fear that might lose someone. If they they are not worried about potentially losing you to another employer, they will allow the process to play out on their own timing. It is always best to let them know that you are interested in the role, but have other options as well.
I have another potential co I am waiting on. I didn't tell this co that though. Perhaps I should have?

Old 04-12-2019, 12:23 PM

780 posts, read 425,052 times
It's not a science, although humans seem to love to attempt to make everything into a science so they feel they have a grasp on the subject. If you stick out to the hiring manager, then you stick out. That's all that can really be said. Try your best, and good luck!

Last edited by Sir Quotes A Lot; 04-12-2019 at 12:49 PM..

Old 04-12-2019, 12:59 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
In jobs where they are looking for the first person with a pulse, it is beneficial to go first. In any job beyond that it shouldn't matter.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:20 PM

1,065 posts, read 622,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I have another potential co I am waiting on. I didn't tell this co that though. Perhaps I should have?
Yes. You want to bring it up as part of a conversation. For example, you could say something like this: “I am very interested in this role. Can you let me know more about the potential timing in your process as I have also been approached on a couple other opportunities”.

They may then ask you questions on the other opportunities, so be prepared to respond to those potential questions. If their job is preferred, find a way to complement them and tell them what you like about the role. Employers like to know they have the preferred role and not the fallback position.

Further, it is good to let them know from a transparency perspective. If another firms gives you a compelling offer, you don’t want to drop it on them at the last minute. Even if you don’t take the job now, you don’t want to burn a bridge as they might contact you again down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment