Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 08:19 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times

Advertisements

Just a thought but I'm guessing these people might also go to a happy hour here and there after work. Maybe instead of these daily long/expensive lunches try and hitch up with them for a few quick drinks on a Friday? You'll get the time spent with them outside of work at a fraction of the cost (and time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 12:57 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Man, I've never once been invited to lunch or a happy hour. I guess I'm lucky?

Old 04-12-2019, 01:48 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,696,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqhammer View Post
* Coworkers go out, buy food and sit together every day.
* Usually lasts 75-90 mins.
* I'd rather just eat at my desk while working and get home 75-90 mins earlier every day.
* I also like to save money.
* I turn down lunch invitation occasionally, but if I do it too often then I know I'm viewed as a try-hard or a workaholic trying to out-compete them.
* Several of them always find a chance to interject their political opinions into the lunch conversation. I am opposite side of the political fence as them but it's the side that has to stay silent about its opinions nowadays, if you catch my drift.
* I'm a little older than my coworkers and can't relate to their conversational topics that well (TV shows, bar hopping, clubbing, dating, etc.).
* There are plenty of reasonably priced, quick food options within a quarter mile of our office, but they often want to drive to some local hot spot.
Who the Hell gets 90 minutes for lunch every day ? Is no one working in that place ?

Old 04-12-2019, 02:14 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Who the Hell gets 90 minutes for lunch every day ? Is no one working in that place ?
90 minutes??!? PSSH I don't even get 9 …

eat @ the desk baby, woo woo!

Old 04-12-2019, 02:36 PM

86 posts, read 84,116 times
I'd just say, "I'm not interested in spending money at lunch." It's true, anyhow. We're frugal people and don't go out for meals at work unless it's something special. Both me and my wife brown bag our lunch and practice frugality.

I never could understand these people who blow money on lunch every day.

If I need to get away I go for a walk or sit in my car. I'm friendly and a helpful co-worker who will gladly sit and eat my sandwich in the lunchroom when it's raining or snowing but I do like quiet and to decompress at lunch. I don't have problems saying no to people who want me to go out to bars, because I don't. My coworkers are okay but not my friends and I agree they need to know as little as possible to keep me out of the gossip mill.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:09 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSkysGuy View Post
I'd just say, "I'm not interested in spending money at lunch." It's true, anyhow. We're frugal people and don't go out for meals at work unless it's something special. Both me and my wife brown bag our lunch and practice frugality.

I never could understand these people who blow money on lunch every day.

If I need to get away I go for a walk or sit in my car. I'm friendly and a helpful co-worker who will gladly sit and eat my sandwich in the lunchroom when it's raining or snowing but I do like quiet and to decompress at lunch. I don't have problems saying no to people who want me to go out to bars, because I don't. My coworkers are okay but not my friends and I agree they need to know as little as possible to keep me out of the gossip mill.
Yep and when the enevitable capitalist lay offs roll around they will be wishing the still had that money they blew on lunches.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:15 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
OP, what exactly is your dillema? You never said.

Old 04-12-2019, 04:47 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
thanks for the invite but I have diarrhea …..once you say that word....they will leave you alone... and say that every time...they will stop asking

Old 04-12-2019, 07:53 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
If you're afraid to just do what you want to do, come up with some excuse why you need to leave work early and can no longer to go lunch - 'i have an elderly parent/pet that I need to get home and check on' or something that else that is basically true. And then still go out with them once in awhile - maybe once a week, or 3 times a month, etc.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:11 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Glad I never had this problem at work! YOu know how unhealthy eating takeout DAILY is? Not to mention the money they could be saving!

It's like you don't want to be the outsider/outcast, but yet you are just because you're not the majority who does what they all do. How about eating w/ them about every 2 wks (on your preferred day of the week to do it) & that's it...unless they pretty much ignore you when you ARE at the table w/ them, but just sitting & listening can be fine too because it shows that you want to be a part...well not really, but to make things go halfway smoothly at the workplace.

Then, is there a way you can at times only eat w/ them every 3-4 wks & if they ask, say you have extra work to do...not that you owe them any explanation, but still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment