Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 12:16 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well, it seems the way costs are going and lawsuits are rising, the lawyers seem to be running almost 24/7 Plus if the lawyer is on a "Collect if you win" case, they'll beat down doors to make the paycheck bigger...

Now for some clock puncher like me, I just finally relented and gave a co-worker 2 days of OT I had taken for another worker. I have lost only 7 hours, but still have 80 hours and 36 OT....I'll still have 18 hours OT for the next check.

I know some construction guys who have done 14 hr days for weeks on end. But that's the nature of some projects.

Few of our management ever show up on a weekend. Unless it's inventory. Then even the President shows to help.

But as we have learned, several companies who hire HB1 workers do so since they will work 70 hours a wee without complaining...
Hospital Administrator works a full week... 8-10 hours... is always off Saturday but comes in every Sunday afternoon to review the up coming week... it is to have some quiet time and start the week fresh... so 50-55 easily plus seldom ever a vacation... longest is 3 days when her only daughter married...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 08:12 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Yeah, 1 person complaining isn't going to do anything unfortunately. The only way change will happen is if a group of the employees complained to the Labor Board & even then, the unethical employer can just fire everyone in waves & hire all new people. I don't know how the amount of employers get away w/ this like they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Union???
If you'll recall unions have been dragged through the mud as the worst thing that's ever happened to the American labor market to the point where just slightly above 10% of all Americans currently are union members, versus nearly double that number 30 years prior. Meanwhile "At Will" Employment has become the norm in non-unionized states so employee rights are virtually non-existent in most instances. In other words the American worker has reaped what they have sowed, so finger-pointing is in the mirror..

Old 04-14-2019, 08:27 AM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If you'll recall unions have been dragged through the mud as the worst thing that's ever happened to the American labor market to the point where just slightly above 10% of all Americans currently are union members, versus nearly double that number 30 years prior. Meanwhile "At Will" Employment has become the norm in non-unionized states so employee rights are virtually non-existent in most instances. In other words the American worker has reaped what they have sowed, so finger-pointing is in the mirror..
Yes, I still remember the threads when Hostess went under and union employees lost their jobs...then was bought by another company and people hired at a much lower non-Union wage with decreased benefits. And regular Joes were celebrating it and glad the union employees lost their job. I will never understand it.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:21 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, I still remember the threads when Hostess went under and union employees lost their jobs...then was bought by another company and people hired at a much lower non-Union wage with decreased benefits. And regular Joes were celebrating it and glad the union employees lost their job. I will never understand it.
Americans continue to prove daily they'll do about just anything to support something that goes against their own best interests.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Americans continue to prove daily they'll do about just anything to support something that goes against their own best interests.
Yes, the same people often complain on this board about corporate greed regarding running short-staffed and requiring workers make up for it, to lack of worker protection. Yet on other boards continually defend and support those corporations.

Twice as many corporations are paying zero income tax this year vs last thanks to that giant corporate and billionaire tax cut, and I don’t think much of it has or will ever trickle down to their workers. And the new budget coming up for congress to vote on cuts almost one trillion from Medicare to try to help pay for this gift. People never seem to learn. I actually see it as a version of Stockholm syndrome, where no matter how badly they are treated, they still think enriching our corporate overlords will somehow be rewarded.

Just this past Friday, thanks to lobbyists for Turbo Tax and others, Congress passed a law making it illegal for the IRS to ever offer free tax filing to citizens.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:39 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Teachers and Nurses Unions are very powerful here in California... and there are others...

I worked in a Union Shop for about a year and valued my time there...

Old 04-14-2019, 04:12 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Over the last year I have done many of these long weeks. I have 2 jobs, though currently on a break from one of them. At one point I worked an overnight shift, stopped for coffee in the morning and went right to work at the other job. No sleep. I drank 2 brown bag beers like a hobo on the way home after. I learned fast this is never a good idea, nearly fell over on the bus after that. Takes a toll on a person. Long weeks overall shows a person how fast time slips away. Weeks can fly by. Time is the one thing we can never get back. Yet in America we wear insane work hours like a medal.

Im working the one job and well under 60 hrs now thankfully. Still a lot but manageable for now.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:24 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
Quote:
The problem people have with unions is almost always government workers. They are a union to get more money from taxpayers. Not all taxpayers would agree that this benefits them.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
The problem people have with unions is almost always government workers. They are a union to get more money from taxpayers. Not all taxpayers would agree that this benefits them.
They didn’t used to be. Almost every manufacturing and trade job was union at some point, but they lost more and more power through the decades as people allowed themselves to believe they hurt the economy and workers. In the 60’s most people would not have walked past a Union protest into a store, now they do it without a thought. They think the giant rat is a joke and unions are bad. They wait for their cookie from corporate America that never comes. See my reference to Hostess, they weren’t government workers. Yet people cheered as they lost their jobs and were replaced by non union workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment