Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 02:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephariel View Post
This may be mostly anecdotal but as a manager who worked in a biomedical company with predominately female co-workers, I think the main reason is that a majority of women care too damn much about being likable. I think Sheryl Sandberg mentioned this issue in her book that men are taught to be powerful and women are taught to be liked.
You're right. Women care too much about being liked and fitting in. It's how they are socialized as children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 03:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Do you want to hear the truth or do you want a politically correct answer?
When did you become the arbiter of truth? Whatever you believe is just your opinion. Say what you want to say.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:47 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I thought women have advanced a lot, unless I am just naive maybe?
Yes, women have definitely advanced a lot, if you're counting from 1960 or 1940. But as the article says, not much movement lately. I think if you'd have asked the feminists in 1960, they would have imagined that there would be something closer to true equality after a half-century.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:52 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times
When I went to film school, all the other students were men and all the teachers there were men as well. I thought maybe it was because maybe women were just not that interested in film directing. There were some females taking other courses, like audio engineering and motion graphics, but not for actual producing and directing, which was all male in my classes.

Was it cause a lot of women are just interested in some positions like that, or do they want to, but feel that being female, may be discouraging them or holding them back for some reason?

Old 04-15-2019, 02:00 PM

Yeah. In film school, we learned how editing use to be considered a woman's job, and that was considered to be feminine. But now of course we have a lot of male editors too. Editing is one of my favorite jobs in the fields and never saw it as feminine over masculine...

Old 04-16-2019, 12:00 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
It's tough for women.

I feel as a woman you get judged more. If you are, or perceived to be, of 'child-bearing age' you may not get the job b/c the co will fear you will be leave to get pregnant etc etc.

I did an experiment once. I went for 2 interviews @ the same company, for 2 different but very similar jobs. (It was a big company).

One interview I wore my wedding ring. One I did not.

The one I did not have my ring on for, I got called back for a second interview. I am not saying that is why, but for some reason if you have a ring on, it implies you are married, you either have kids or you will have kids … and some co's see that as a redflag.

Of course, not all people who are married have children, and not all single person don't … but there is a certain perceived notion about women that in the back of some company's minds, she will not stick around.

But in this day & age, we are seeing a large increase of women OUTEARNING their partners … that's progress!!!

Old 04-17-2019, 01:00 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
Here is the cold, hard truth: men are physically larger, have a body that looks brute and tough, taller, and have deeper voices. Women are physically weaker, shorter, have shapely sexy bodies, and higher voices. So between the 2 genders, men look strong and women look weak, so when there is a woman that can challenge them, they don't like it because they don't expect the weaker gender to be able to challenge them.

And also women being more naturally nurturing and caregivers are a downfall in the working world when people are expected to be cutthroat and professional.

This is in GENERAL, so no one should tell me that their 70-year-old grandma is a bodybuilder who could bench press a man.

I'm not a statistics person, but I believe there are more women today in leadership positions than decades ago, but not enough to be 50/50 or more with men.

But I honestly don't see the point of a topic like this because human nature is a big reason for why men and women fall into certain jobs. For example, no one is telling men to purposely become engineers if most of them hate it and women to be moms if most of them hate it.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:39 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
I honestly think that a lot of women don't advance because they don't do what it takes to go to the next level and often they are setup in positions with very little advancement because of their career choices.

I see most women work at women heavy depts and positions that either don't employ men or men aren't interested in. If you have an office setting where 70% of the workers are women. Then it's not easy to advance because those are usually depts that don't produce revenue. So companies structure those depts with very little room for compensation growth.

I've once worked at 2 different media companies where it's almost 90% women. They have many depts all lead by women but they are making peanuts compare to men that are in the sales and business depts that generate more revenue.

A lot of women that I've met at the office, most are content with what they are doing. They're not happy about the pay but they haven't shown displeasure as much as the men do. Whenever I sit down with co-workers at lunch, the men usually talk about work and then complain about pay. Women also talk about work but rarely complain about pay.

I often here and see men voice their displeasure about advancement and more often have moved on to newer opportunities. The last 10 months at this job, almost 90% of those leaving are men and very few women leaving.

I think a lot of women are just too content with their work and not doing enough to improve their career.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:17 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
most teachers nurses salon owners are women....

Jeez, do you not realize those are low-status, low-paying jobs? As a matter of fact, now that you mention salons, most of the top salons are all begun by men - Sassoon, Licari, Bumble, etc.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:50 PM

As far as the notion goes that we almost never had female Presidential candidate, most women just seem to not want to run for President. Out of all the rich female celebrities in the US, couldn't quite a few of them afford to have a campaign for running for President, if they wanted to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment