Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 12:08 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times

Advertisements

After I accepted my last offer (current job) the recruiter asked me once again if I had any upcoming vacations. I just let her know that I didn't.

I'm sure this will come up again once an offer is made.

Good luck!!

Old 04-15-2019, 12:14 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
So I had a final interview for a job and I didn't mention that I have a planned and already paid for vacation about 2 weeks after the start date will be. I've read after the fact that this should be mentioned during the interview but I didn't do that. Now I'm wondering if I get the job offer, how I bring this up and if this can be saved or am I doomed?
"Hey, I have to apologize, in my excitement at interviewing with you, I forgot to mention I have a planned trip from this date to that date."

Old 04-15-2019, 01:47 PM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...y-planned.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/job-s...-scenario.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-vacation.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ews-about.html

You’re interviewing, but already have a big vacation planned. Now what?

Quote:
Alison Green, the author of the Ask a Manager blog, answered a question on her site about when to discuss during a job interview the fact that you’ve previously booked a vacation.

“Don’t bring it up in the interview stage; it would be premature then. The time to raise it is once a company makes you an offer. At that point, it’s very, very normal to say something like, ‘I have a trip scheduled from April 15-27. I’m willing to take the time unpaid since I assume I won’t have accrued enough vacation time by then, but I want to make sure up-front that that’s okay.’ It’s a lot better to mention this as part of the offer discussion, so that they don’t feel like you’re springing it on them later.

This happens all the time, and it’s totally normal to say this. It may, however, be an issue if you don’t bother to mention it until after you start. So make very sure that you mention it during the offer conversations.”
Any planned vacation is discussed and negotiated when you have a firm job offer, NOT during the interview. This has been pointed out in multiple threads on the topic as well as advice online.

There has been a thread where the poster didn't even mention the planned vacation during the offer stage, and was then panicking over to what to do. Bad form.

Bottom line, mention vacation during offer, not before or after.

Any future threads asking this same question will be referred to this thread.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:30 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Mention it if you get an offer. If the start date is a firm drop dead date, you will have to decide whether you want the job or the vacation.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:51 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Mention it if you get an offer. If the start date is a firm drop dead date, you will have to decide whether you want the job or the vacation.
Yep, this.

Most of time, it's fine to bring it up when you get an offer, and any company that isn't able to work around that is not likely to be an employer you want to work for anyway.

But it's a different situation when its something like a new hire training class where you'd be out of synch with that hiring cohort and no real way to make up that time. If it's a good enough job that you really want to take it, you may have to be prepared to walk away from the vacation this time. I mean sure, mention it when you get the offer and see what they say, but it's reasonable that they had less flexibility under the circumstances.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:07 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I would not want to work for a company who made me choose between them or a vacation (that is likely non-refundable).

That's a red-flag right there. If they are a company that cares about their people and value work/life balance, they will work around you.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:45 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
If they are training many people, the corp would not be unreasonable not to be flexible.

Just see what they say, OP.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:23 PM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
IMO, it's not up to the interviewee to bring this up during interviews. The interviewer should ask about any planned vacations.

Since the interviewer didn't ask, OP should tell them about it when the offer is received.
I disagree with this advice completely.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:25 PM

724 posts, read 529,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...y-planned.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/job-s...-scenario.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...-vacation.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ews-about.html

You’re interviewing, but already have a big vacation planned. Now what?

Any planned vacation is discussed and negotiated when you have a firm job offer, NOT during the interview. This has been pointed out in multiple threads on the topic as well as advice online.

There has been a thread where the poster didn't even mention the planned vacation during the offer stage, and was then panicking over to what to do. Bad form.

Bottom line, mention vacation during offer, not before or after.

Any future threads asking this same question will be referred to this thread.
The OP's situation doesn't fit this, as they've obviously discussed a firm time line for start date and training (likely a class or training group) - that would have been the time to open the discussion.

Not every issue can be painted with the same brush.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:39 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Common sense is becoming very uncommon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment