Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 07:29 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,206,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
The company blew out vacation balances going into the unlimited policy!
In many states this is illegal. The company is required to pay out the balances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 07:30 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,206,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Thanks for all the advice so far. I have not gotten an offer yet so this is just hypothetical as of now. Upon investigating more, the co seems to tout 'unlimited' vacation except of course there are some caveats … and one cannot take off in more than 10-day increments (so it's not really free-reign … like you can't just go and take a month off …. and you shouldn't anyway).
So that "unlimited" vacation is really limited - so they're lying. Scam-o-rama.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:36 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,138,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
The disadvantages of an "unlimited vacation" policy has nothing to do with performance standards. Employees that resign do not get to cash in their unused vacation time. Nothing to do with performance. Employees who don't take much or any vacation time cannot cash in their unused vacation time. Nothing to do with performance. Well performing employees who are too afraid to take any vacation time because they will be perceived as slackers has nothing to do with performance.

The solution for employees is to never resign. Just "go on vacation" indefinitely until the company can bear it no more.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:57 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,322,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
So that "unlimited" vacation is really limited - so they're lying. Scam-o-rama.
yeah. I like more of a definition of what "unlimited" really means. It sounds attractive on paper … but really what company would be ok with a free reign to take like months & months off @ a time. I would think limits need to be set.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:16 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,122,698 times
Quote:
Inigo Montoya says "you keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means"

Unlimited means no limits. The minute there are any limits on so-called "unlimited vacation", it is no longer unlimited and thus false advertising. Another word for this is scam.
And you apparently don't understand that the word "vacation" also has a meaning.

But sure, keep making the silly argument that someone should "hire" you and pay you a full time salary to never actually work.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:21 AM

4,903 posts, read 2,673,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And you apparently don't understand that the word "vacation" also has a meaning.

But sure, keep making the silly argument that someone should "hire" you and pay you a full time salary to never actually work.
But that is exactly what the employer is advertising. "Unlimited" means there is no limit. It is a silly argument that an employer should hire someone and pay them a salary when that employee takes a permanent vacation. That is not what a business is all about.

I don't think that bobsell is arguing that companies should hire people and let them go on 40 year vacations. What he is pointing out is that employers who claim to have an unlimited vacation policy are being disingenuous since they are not going to let their employees go on vacations any time they want and for as long as they want.

What is so difficult to understand about "unlimited" being without limit? And no one here is saying that employers should be forced to hire people and let them go on permanent vacation. That is completely absurd.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:32 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,349,355 times
Quote:
In many states this is illegal. The company is required to pay out the balances.
A few is not the same as many. Your statement is purposefully misleading. Three states explicitly require carry over balances. There's an additional exception in many states for payout upon termination but that doesn't apply here.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:06 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,395,097 times
It should be renamed to "responsible time off" or something like that. Unlimited time off isn't really "unlimited."

Old 04-19-2019, 03:11 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,905,911 times
Quote:
So here we have another person who does not know what "unlimited" means. Perhaps an English dictionary is a good investment for you?

I think someone who lies should not be trusted. When someone says vacation is unlimited and they place limits on it, that's called LYING.

I know, that's hard to understand.

I guess honesty and ethics mean nothing to you.
You've been told repeatedly what those policies mean in the same words you'd be told in an interview. If you have an issue with the verbiage and are unable to get past a phrase to the policy itself, there's not much more we can do. I sincerely hope you aren't this stubborn on the job.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:23 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,553,835 times
my company offers unlimited vacation too

I wont get paid either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment