Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 01:34 PM

538 posts, read 385,510 times

Advertisements

Good Friday is a floating holiday. You can use it or save it. I didn’t think to ask for it off but today my boss approached me and offered for me to use it or save it. I feel guilty taking a day off after only being here a month. What are your thoughts? Maybe I’ll take a half day? I’d say 75% or more are taking it off and I won’t have much to do since I’m caught up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 01:39 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Are you really asking complete strangers on an internet forum whether we think you should take a day off or not?

Old 04-18-2019, 01:50 PM

1,104 posts, read 918,974 times
However guilty you feel, your boss isn't going to care; but they'd probably prefer you do what you want, so go with that.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:53 PM

538 posts, read 385,510 times
Well it is Passover also so they don’t know what I have planned.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:02 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
If your boss approached you and offered it, you shouldn't feel guilty in taking it.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:07 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
I would not take the day off just to take it off. If you legitimately have plans then take the day off without regret.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:00 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I would not take the day off just to take it off. If you legitimately have plans then take the day off without regret.
Have to disagree with your phrasing here - maybe it's semantics. I don't feel like people need to have a good reason for an earned day off. Just a personal pet peeve of mine. Yes, there are other factors, like the amount of time on the job and etc etc etc. When I started my current job, I had been there for 6 months, and I had to essentially take a week off because of use it or lose it; I had no plans and used this time as a staycation. My cousin argued that I shouldn't take the time for that, that if I was going somewhere fine. I think that as long as I am entitled to the time, and it's approved/encouraged (only you can know what the vibe at your particular workplace is - my boss at the time was encouraging me to use it), then what you are planning to do with that time off is of no concern.

OP, if your boss hadn't asked you if you wanted to take the day, I would say probably not. But since he did, take it if you want to, but don't take it if you don't want to. Sometimes it's nice working on a day where no else is - you can get a lot done, and then if you retain that day for another time, you can pick a day that you want to take off.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:07 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Have to disagree with your phrasing here - maybe it's semantics. I don't feel like people need to have a good reason for an earned day off. Just a personal pet peeve of mine. Yes, there are other factors, like the amount of time on the job and etc etc etc. When I started my current job, I had been there for 6 months, and I had to essentially take a week off because of use it or lose it; I had no plans and used this time as a staycation. My cousin argued that I shouldn't take the time for that, that if I was going somewhere fine. I think that as long as I am entitled to the time, and it's approved/encouraged (only you can know what the vibe at your particular workplace is - my boss at the time was encouraging me to use it), then what you are planning to do with that time off is of no concern.

OP, if your boss hadn't asked you if you wanted to take the day, I would say probably not. But since he did, take it if you want to, but don't take it if you don't want to. Sometimes it's nice working on a day where no else is - you can get a lot done, and then if you retain that day for another time, you can pick a day that you want to take off.

Maybe you don't need to have a good reason to take a day off but I do. I don't want to waste an earned day just to sit at home just because I was told I could take it off. If I spend PTO its going to be for a good reason.

The OP didn't state this was a use or lose it scenario.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:17 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Maybe you don't need to have a good reason to take a day off but I do. I don't want to waste an earned day just to sit at home just because I was told I could take it off. If I spend PTO its going to be for a good reason.

The OP didn't state this was a use or lose it scenario.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then - sometimes what I want to do is sit at home. I have plenty of earned time off that I can mix and match to use however I like.

I did interpret your post differently, that the OP should only take off if they have a reason to - why is what I was primarily disagreeing with - if it's a day you are entitled to, you don't need to justify the WHY to anyone. Ideally, anyway, lol.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:29 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
If your boss approached you and offered it, you shouldn't feel guilty in taking it.
This. While I would not have made the request on my own with such little time on the job, the boss approaching me does change things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment