Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 07:27 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times

Advertisements

Nope. I've always wanted to write novels. So I'd be WORKING, but no guarantee of a payout. I'd be spending my days typing away at my computer, hiking with my dogs, reading books and puttering around the kitchen when I wasn't traveling. $10 million properly invested can keep you pretty darn comfortable for the rest of your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 08:00 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Yes. But the work would look a little different. (Literally, just a little different, cause I am already living the dream and doing work that I enjoy. But I would probably focus much more on higher level and hire more people to handle the lower level stuff)

Old 04-20-2019, 08:00 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Nothing to do? You'd have millions of dollars. You really couldn't find something to do immediately? I never understand responses like this. How some people think you either work or sit at home all day. Like there's nothing else in life. I could list dozens of things I would want to do immediately if money suddenly was no object and I didn't have to waste all my time at a job.

Heck, I'd be content to just expand on the hobbies I already do now, like biking and photography. If I suddenly had millions of dollars in my bank account, I might just get on my bike right away and ride the Great Allegheny Passage to DC just to relax and contemplate this new windfall of FREEDOM. I've ridden it once before, but had to do it in 5 days....because work. I could only get one week off. I would love to have the TIME to relax and just travel at my leisure and explore and LIVE life. Then plan other things. I always wanted to see a game at every MLB ballpark. Take a road trip across the entire US while doing this until I've seen most everything. Then travel outside the US. I want to learn to fly a plane. I want to learn new languages. Maybe write a novel. Walk the Great Wall of China. See the Pyramids. Go on a safari.... I could go on all day, this is just stuff off the top of my head.

Nothing to do????
It's a personality thing. I am single and don't like going on long trips by myself since I got bored and lonely very easily. Sure, I could do a short day trip somewhere, but with my personality type, I would be longing for some sort of companionship inside of 48 hours, and the problem would be finding people to hang out with during "normal working hours".

It usually takes me more than 6 months to make new friends when I move to a new area, and I don't even have a passport because the idea of just going somewhere by myself is unappealing.

I would probably eventually quit doing work that didn't let me choose my own hours, and avoid work I didn't value for its own sake, but I would need some time to make the transition.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:31 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I'd bail out immediately.

A million dollars with a 4% withdrawal rate is still $40,000. As a single guy who will never live on the coasts, I could make that work. I'd be perfectly fine hiking, fishing, kayaking, biking, and drinking Natural Light if I didn't have to work.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:59 PM

4,030 posts, read 2,715,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Nothing to do? You'd have millions of dollars. You really couldn't find something to do immediately? I never understand responses like this. How some people think you either work or sit at home all day. Like there's nothing else in life. I could list dozens of things I would want to do immediately if money suddenly was no object and I didn't have to waste all my time at a job.

Heck, I'd be content to just expand on the hobbies I already do now, like biking and photography. If I suddenly had millions of dollars in my bank account, I might just get on my bike right away and ride the Great Allegheny Passage to DC just to relax and contemplate this new windfall of FREEDOM. I've ridden it once before, but had to do it in 5 days....because work. I could only get one week off. I would love to have the TIME to relax and just travel at my leisure and explore and LIVE life. Then plan other things. I always wanted to see a game at every MLB ballpark. Take a road trip across the entire US while doing this until I've seen most everything. Then travel outside the US. I want to learn to fly a plane. I want to learn new languages. Maybe write a novel. Walk the Great Wall of China. See the Pyramids. Go on a safari.... I could go on all day, this is just stuff off the top of my head.

Nothing to do????

I think a lot of answers like this stem from that most of us can't get our minds around having that much money. We work for a living, and sometimes time off either means 'staycations' (because you can't really afford to go anywhere), or, "I have to take care of this, that, and the other around the house."

When the lottery hit that 1.3 billion awhile back, my coworkers and I had gone in on tickets together and joked about what we'd do if we won. I like to window shop houses (even ones I definitely can't afford) just because I find it fun. I'd mentioned there was a beautiful Victorian home that I'd be tempted to buy if I had the money, and then said, "But it has all this fancy carved woodwork that would be a pain to keep clean, and I'm not sure I'd want to spend time doing that." One of my coworkers pointed out that if I had the money to buy such a house, then I'd have the money to *hire* somebody to clean the woodwork for me. And that thought just really stunned me, because I'm so used to having to do my own cleaning that the thought of *really* being able to hire somebody to do it for me didn't enter my mind right away.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:13 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Hell no! My job isn't horrible, the commute is.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:17 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkinson View Post
Say tomorrow, 10,000,000 was deposited in your checking account, would you still work?
Hell, no. Already retired with less than your stated amount. Building our retirement home now on a wonderful river.

My next 20+ years will be just fine, and seldom requires a schedule or alarm clock.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:00 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkinson View Post
Say tomorrow, 10,000,000 was deposited in your checking account, would you still work?
NOPE!

Want my account number? (Just to be sure I'm not lying about the work part!)

Old 04-21-2019, 07:09 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Strangely enough, yes. That's because Husband owns a small business and I work there too and what are those employees going to do? We run the place with a conscience, considerate of other people's feelings in general (unlike so many stories here about cold and heartless bosses and co-workers) and we couldn't lay them off.
After having employees for 30 years.......I'd double their final check and wish them well. Most employees go through stages:

1. Thankful for the "new job"
2. Somewhat anxious/confident at their job after a couple years
3. Definitely feel they are working "too cheap"
4. Feel they are making you too much money
5. Time to consider the grass is greener somewhere else

The scale happens to everyone eventually, some faster than others. I've had 4 employees go 10+ years in an industry with a decent turnover in 1-3 years. In 3 of the 4 cases I hired replacement workers for 75% of the wage the former employee made and didn't miss a beat.

2 of the 4 were leaving for greener pastures, both were very disappointed in their choice. One returned shortly to resume his old job.

10 million? Goodbye folks, good luck in your future endeavors!

Old 04-21-2019, 08:27 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I think a lot of answers like this stem from that most of us can't get our minds around having that much money. We work for a living, and sometimes time off either means 'staycations' (because you can't really afford to go anywhere), or, "I have to take care of this, that, and the other around the house."

When the lottery hit that 1.3 billion awhile back, my coworkers and I had gone in on tickets together and joked about what we'd do if we won. I like to window shop houses (even ones I definitely can't afford) just because I find it fun. I'd mentioned there was a beautiful Victorian home that I'd be tempted to buy if I had the money, and then said, "But it has all this fancy carved woodwork that would be a pain to keep clean, and I'm not sure I'd want to spend time doing that." One of my coworkers pointed out that if I had the money to buy such a house, then I'd have the money to *hire* somebody to clean the woodwork for me. And that thought just really stunned me, because I'm so used to having to do my own cleaning that the thought of *really* being able to hire somebody to do it for me didn't enter my mind right away.
Reminds me of a documentary I saw once on the lifestyles of the wealthy (no, not that one about famous people partying, but working wealthy). One of the things it pointed out was what you just said. The wealthy pay people to do those mundane jobs of cleaning because it literally isn't worth their time. One of them said "I make $7000 an hour. If I take an hour to clean the bathroom, I lost $7000. It's cheaper to pay someone to clean the house than do it myself."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment