Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 04:51 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times

Advertisements

Congratulations. I dont know your age but I know several who are over 50 and haven't had a good paying W-2 job in years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 06:18 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,805,915 times
Congratulates, my friend. You deserve it and should be patted on the back.

Don't let yourself be fooled... you weren't lucky... you earned this job because you were dedicated and competent.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:20 PM

480 posts, read 316,263 times
Well done.

I'm at 10 weeks now in a large .gov position. It is very nice indeed.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:23 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
It is nice to know the company played fair with you and gave you recognition for your own commitment when you were a contract worker
It doesn’t always turn out like that
Maybe the person whose promotion created the vacancy put in some pull for you
Nice if so...

Old 04-24-2019, 04:29 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Congratulations!!

Old 04-24-2019, 09:39 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I haven't posted in a while, just been busy with life and doing fine. I moved to So Cal in late 2016 breathing off the fumes of my persistence to succeed in the LA area where my home state of Michigan let me down. After two horrible jobs back to back from my first week here until Dec 2017, I landed a contract assignment at a large health care organization. I knew that if I be patient and proved myself a great worker, I would eventually be hired. As luck would have it, someone got a job in another department and their position opened up. I worked along with this person for a year, so it was fate that I would replace her. I had to go through the interview process, and two weeks after the interview, I was offered the job yesterday.

The pay rate and the benefits alone are miraculous and will improve the quality of my life exponentially. I am truly lucky and blessed, but I worked very hard to get myself in this position to be hired.

So if you're on a long term contract position, or still looking for that perfect job, just keep at it, you will find the right job for you and all your hard work will pay off, just like it did for me.
You have worked hard to get there. Now work smart to retain it and move higher. Good luck.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:08 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,218 times
Thank you to each and every one of you for your positive and wonderful support! To answer one question, I'm 52 (but I totally look 38-ish ), and the position I have been offered is one that I have been doing since the other lady went on maternity leave. When she came back, they gave her some other projects while they slowly shifted her stuff onto me. My contract kept getting extended with the verbal acknowledgment in late January that they hoped to hire me permanently. Now that the other lady transferred to another department, I was the perfect candidate to be hired, but for legal reasons, they needed to post the job and I had to interview for it.

So yes, not only did I work hard in this role for nearly 16 months, but I also fit into the culture of the department very well, and they really like me and the skills I bring. I'm lucky and proud of myself for being able to hang in there and prove that I was the best person to be hired into this company. Not all long-term contractors are hired here; once their assignment ends, they have to interview for the next one.

Thanks again!

Old 04-24-2019, 11:23 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,778,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I am truly lucky and blessed, but I worked very hard to get myself in this position to be hired.
Success is 90% hard work and 10% brain power. Congrats on your success, I hope you continue enjoying the job, area and many friends...WOW just read that last part of you being 52, but looking 38. That certainly didn't hurt you....

Old 04-24-2019, 12:18 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,008,763 times
Congrats!!

Old 04-24-2019, 01:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Success is 90% hard work and 10% brain power. Congrats on your success, I hope you continue enjoying the job, area and many friends...WOW just read that last part of you being 52, but looking 38. That certainly didn't hurt you....
I think hard work w/minimal brain power is kind of like Conan rushing the grinding stone around...
It takes “brain power” to understand company culture, moderate behavior to fit in, in addition to the skills the job requires...
It’s not overkill to try for 100% diligence and intelligence...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment